Looking at doing my 1st 5K!!

Options
I have never ran a 5K before. Does anyone know what I have to do to train for a 5K? I am kind of intimidated. I have not signed up for it yet and it is March 12th. Just looking for some support and maybe some tips. Thanks

Replies

• ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a great training program C25K. Its free on the web and so is the phone app.
    Hal Higdon www.halhigdon.com also has some great running training programs. They are free on the website and has apps as well.

Good luck with the running!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yay! Running your first 5K is exciting and daunting. However, this is TOTALLY achievable. There is a great program (I haven't personally done it, but have friends that have) called Couch to 5K. It is designed to take you from a non-runner to completing a 5K in about 12 weeks. You still have time to do it, even if you don't go the full 12 weeks.

My advice (as a runner), is start out walking/jogging for short distance, and each time (or day) that you walk/run, try to go a little further or a little faster. Distance is more of a key so that you build endurance. Don't get sucked into the preparation postings for marathon runners - they will have you running 40-50 miles per week!!! Not necessary for a 5K. You can start out at a mile or two every couple of days, and then work up to 8-15 miles per week. If you are not trying to compete (and you shouldn't on your first), then this will be more than sufficient.

Best of luck to you, and keep on running!!!! :-)
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k last Saturday. I didn't use couch to 5k, but I started out by running about 5-10 min at a time and just adding to that. Also, I've been using the 'Run in formation and get yelled at by a Navy Chief' program. It seems to be working a bit, I've turned my barely one mile runs into 3+mile runs in the past month.

Anyway, you have plenty of time. Start C25K now and you'll be fine by March.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that you should track your progress. Whether you track it on paper, in an Excel spreadsheet, or use some online tool; track your distance and time. It will help you set goals and continue to improve.

I use an application called RunKeeper (www.runkeeper.com), that I can track online through a web browser or on my iPhone (they have an android app too, I believe). I run with my phone and let the GPS function do all the heavy lifting for me.
  • Sadiejane00
    Sadiejane00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am using the C25K and love it. It starts out slow and works your way up to what you need to do. I am in my 4th week and have really noticed an improvement!
  • lorals05
    Options
    Congrats on running your first 5K. I actually dislike running as an exercise, however I do run 5K's around my area. They are long enough to make you strive to finish (3.1 mi) and they are short enough that they don't torture running-challenged individuals like myself. I don't do anything special to train-just my normal cardio workouts and weights, but I'm sure a lot of people who actually enjoy running would disagree.

Good luck on your 1st 5K and let us all know what you think of it when you have finished! :smile:
  • sippy78
    sippy78 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips!!!!
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I went from not working out AT ALL last June, to running my first 5K in August, and now I run 10K almost every weekend. I also used the C25K program. I track my progress on runkeeper.com, too. I don't run many races, but just get out on my own and run. And I love it. You can so do it!