Pillsbury refrigerated products...

Options
Anyone ever notice how that most of Pillsbury's refrigerated products have trans fat in them? For example my kids love Totino's pizza's (cheap and easy to cook). I quit buying them because the trans fat was fairly high per serving (3 to 4g's). In fact I quit buying all Pillsbury food with trans fat. It's easy to eat a whole pizza or more.

What I do not understand is how the Great Value brand (Wal-Mart) refrigerated products , such as biscuits, crescents, rolls, etc. have no trans fat. I wonder why Pillsbury can't do the same thing as the Great Value brand? I do not notice a big difference in flavor.

Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• Todd
    Todd Posts: 22
    Options
    Anyone ever notice how that most of Pillsbury's refrigerated products have trans fat in them? For example my kids love Totino's pizza's (cheap and easy to cook). I quit buying them because the trans fat was fairly high per serving (3 to 4g's). In fact I quit buying all Pillsbury food with trans fat. It's easy to eat a whole pizza or more.

What I do not understand is how the Great Value brand (Wal-Mart) refrigerated products , such as biscuits, crescents, rolls, etc. have no trans fat. I wonder why Pillsbury can't do the same thing as the Great Value brand? I do not notice a big difference in flavor.

Any thoughts on this?
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I hadn't bought any refrigerated biscuits in awhile, but I am grateful for your information on them.:smile:
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    interesting.. I hadn't even paid attention to that, but I buy the biscuits all the time for the kids so I will have to check that out. I wish they had store brands at the commisary so I didn't have to make a seperate trip for that sorta stuff!!! Especially since it seems impossible to walk out of walmart without spending $50!!
  • Todd
    Options
    proudmama0118...I used to eat a lot of Pillsbury biscuits when I was younger. Thats why I have this spare tire around my waist. We'll my wife says thats cause of it. We spend so much at the Wal-Mart in one month I would be afraid to add it up.

Side note: My doctor told me to avoid trans fats, so that's why I brought this Pillsbury thing up.
  • rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I wish they had store brands at the commisary so I didn't have to make a seperate trip for that sorta stuff!!! Especially since it seems impossible to walk out of walmart without spending $50!!

Though there are not store brands at the commissary there are generics you might look at those see if they have a good alternative. If not , then look for one that works for you and is not another stores brand name. When you find one take it to the customer service Desk at your Commi and ask if they could possibly order it. Keep on them possibly even speak with the manager and soon they will either carry that brand all the time or order it just for you. At least that is the way our Commi on Lejeune works.

Raynel
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options

Any thoughts on this?

I was looking at that too. I also noticed that the store brands have no noticeable differance in flavor and have NO transfat, when it come to name brand that is when we see trans fat. and per serving.. YIKES. thanks for sharing
  • dogwdots
    dogwdots Posts: 146
    Options
    Thanks for the info on this - I am making Mexican biscuits for Easter Brunch - I will watch for a different brand to use.

Thumbs up to you!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I started tracking my trans fats instead of protein just so I would see it if I was eating it. I notice some popcorn has it in there too. I think its pop secret but don't think I haven't bought pillsbury but a thanks for the heads up because they lost my buisness until they fix that. I posted a list of fast foods worst offenders of this. I bumped it up if you care to take a look in the food and nutrition section under 88 fast foods likely to kill you
  • Todd
    Options
    hmmmm: I will take a look at the list...Thanks!
  • raymonda999
    Options
    After reading the previous comments I went on a web hunt to see exactly how much trans-fat was in the Pillsbury biscuits.

I found that the Pillsbury web site provide NO nutritional content info on any of their products. I also checked out about 8 various nutritional database sites and out of those 8 I found exactly 1 that showed the trans fat content for Pillsbury Biscuits. (See the following link) http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21Ni.html

Up until a couple years ago they lumped trans fats in with the other saturated fats, so I suspect a lot of the sites still have kind of aged data. Even the MFP database on this site showed zero trans fat for the Pillsbury Buttermilk Grands biscuits I was using as my test case. Hmmmmmmmm.........:noway: :noway:

-Ray
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Just noticed that my Pillsbury biscuits don't have any trans fat. Not sure about the other products, but it looks like the little biscuits are safe.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I just avoid Pillsbury, for the transfat, while flour, additives, etc. Also, "taste" was mentioned... I find that all those packaged foods have a very strange, artificial taste. At most grocery stores you can get fresh pizza crust (even whole grain) which only has flour, water, yeast, salt, and possibly egg. Fresh breads and rolls are also readily available.

As for popcorn - you can pop your own in a big pot with a little olive oil... VERY tasty!:smile:
  • Todd
    Options
    Yesterday at my local grocery store, I found something they were carrying, new to my store, I had never seen before. (I shop there every week so I am aware of new products my store carries).
    It was Pillsbury low fat cinnamon rolls (in the tube). They had no trans fat and even mentioned it on the side of the can. I thought it was awesome.
    I wish they would do the same with their Totino's pizza's (3 to 4 g's of TF on average).