What exercise to do to get rid of belly fat

Options
What exercises can I do to get rid of belly fat? I walk three to four times a week, and eat well as far as calories but I seem to be losing weight everywhere else besides my belly. Any suggestions?

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Join the club!
    I think it's just the way some of our bodies are made/ and where we store fat....not that we can't TRY to do something about it
    I've been reading lots of articles about belly flab and besides watching cals, avoiding whites/sugars, and getting off the extra weight....the articles talk a lot about doing sprints...wether jogging/running on the treadmill or on a bike....short burtss of intensity
    Lots of ladies have had luck here with running/jogging
    I never ever thought I would be a runner, but recently I've started doing sprints on the treadmill...and I have to admit it feels pretty good :)

Good luck!
    Kim
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    lots of cardio, and then tone it up
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    yepper, Kim--

Run, baby, run-- jogging.jpg

I tae-bo'd and turbo jammed for months, hit the floor for my tummy-tum-tum-- pssh-- nuttin'.

I started running in March and my stomach is sooooooooooo much better-- the running outside works it like nothing else.

Start working some running sessions into the walking-- you'll see a difference. Make sure you hold your tummy in while you're doing it-- keep the core tight.
  • Pongmo
    Pongmo Posts: 2
    Options
    You can't "spot lose" weight/fat. So you can't do exercises that'll just get rid of the fat on your tummy/waist or any other part of your body. Even if you did 100s of crunches everday you'd have the muscle there, sure, but that layer of fat would be covering them. You just have to work out, do cardio, whatever.
  • Tayla08
    Tayla08 Posts: 94
    Options
    I have extra belly fat from having a baby and I too want to get rid of it. I asked a personal trainer/fitness expert through my insurance company and she said that Cardio exercises will get rid of it.... Mine's slowly going down, but I have some work to do! GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I also agree that running is what helped me along with yoga. If you are interested in trying running/jogging but haven't tried it before I suggest the Couch to 5K program. Google it. It is everywhere.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    yepper, Kim--

Run, baby, run-- jogging.jpg

I tae-bo'd and turbo jammed for months, hit the floor for my tummy-tum-tum-- pssh-- nuttin'.

I started running in March and my stomach is sooooooooooo much better-- the running outside works it like nothing else.

Start working some running sessions into the walking-- you'll see a difference. Make sure you hold your tummy in while you're doing it-- keep the core tight.

Love the little Charlie Brown stick man that looks like he is going to faint..LOL
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Drink Milk too and lots of cardio! You can't tell your body where to lose it but these will help!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as spot reducing when losing weight your body pulls fat from where it wants which is the easy fat- the rest is the harder one that you need to work harder to burn- Cardio and weight training is key-

You can do crunches all day and still have a gut cause if you don't lose the fat its pointless. So kick up your workout- turn that walk into a jog then that jog into a run or try different cardio workouts-- Good luck
  • coachkathy
    coachkathy Posts: 35
    Options
    click on my profile & check out my website/send me an email - there are lots of home fitness programs that focus on ab/core & they are AWESOME!

:smile:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I started out walking - the brisk walking - then jogging - now I'm running. I average about 3 miles and am currently working on distance and speed. I run 3 days a week.

You can do it, too. I started with a modified couch to 5k program on coolrunning.com. Since you've been walking, you might find it easy to jog a little here and there. Don't worry about speed, that will come. It works different muscles, so go slowly (which is why couch to 5k works so well) to make sure that you don't injure yourself.

Check out our thread - MFP Runners Club. You'll get all kinds of inspiration there and loads of help.

The fat is melting away on me because of my running and strength training. I still have LOADS of belly fat - that is my toughest area - but I'm not worried...I've never seen a fat runner :laugh:

Any kind of cardio will be good to get rid of fat. Ellipticals are great machines and they are one of the best machines for burning calories.

Good luck to you!!!
  • ggooding12
    ggooding12 Posts: 53
    Options
    There is a machine at the gym I go to. Do not know the name of it but.............it has these arms that you can adjust to different heights. At the end os both arms are handles where you can adjust that lbs. Keeping you arms straight and not bending your elbows, you can twist your body back and forth. My trainer taught me this. It can help reduce love handles.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    running/jogging and jump rope. At high intensity, melts fat everywhere, including belly.
  • michele73
    michele73 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am losing weight everywhere but where I really want to lose it. The belly. I heard the same thing about cardio. Lots of walking and running. I am also reading a book I just got called The Flat Belly Diet. Eating certain foods apparently can melt away stomach fat. It's a new book for me so I don't have all the info yet. Sounds very interesting.

Michele
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I'm someone else who said I was never going to run. At least not outside, only on my treadmill. Well in the spring of '08 someone asked if I was pregnant! Not what you want to hear when you're 48. So I started the couch to 5k. My stomach slowly went down.

This year I'm running outside again and my DH keeps saying he can't believe how much smaller my stomach is. Now I do know that I'll always have some belly. It's in the family. Plus I know I'd have to get my body fat % down to a number that I probably could not maintain comfortably.

I keep telling people I weigh more now than when I had the belly. So don't get to hung up on scale weight. It's can be deceiving.
    You'll get there but it does take time.
  • TriExtremeFitness
    Options
    Sad to say but our body is not prejudice.....it usually drops fat first from the areas we least store fat :cry: Running/Jogging/Jog-walking is a wonderful way to shed pounds. What ever cardio activity you decide......remember........try and select an activity you ENJOY. Eating is another vital contribution to the success of your weight loss. Small meals (at least 5) each day burns calories more efficiently than 3 large meals. Try Low Glycemic foods, and drinking plenty of water. Good Luck:happy:
  • TriExtremeFitness
    Options
    I'm someone else who said I was never going to run. At least not outside, only on my treadmill. Well in the spring of '08 someone asked if I was pregnant! Not what you want to hear when you're 48. So I started the couch to 5k. My stomach slowly went down.

This year I'm running outside again and my DH keeps saying he can't believe how much smaller my stomach is. Now I do know that I'll always have some belly. It's in the family. Plus I know I'd have to get my body fat % down to a number that I probably could not maintain comfortably.

I keep telling people I weigh more now than when I had the belly. So don't get to hung up on scale weight. It's can be deceiving.
    You'll get there but it does take time.

Awesome advice! Absolutely.............the scale is vary deceiving.......muscle weighs more than fat which would account for the scale weight gain.......to truely track your fat weight loss success, have your body fat tested at a local gym for a small fee. Take the percentage they give you and multiply by your current scale weight..... the result will be your total current fat weight. Subtract your current fat weight from total scale weight the result will be your Lean Body Mass weight. (LBM accounts for muscle, skin, bone, etc.). The off balace = fat loss/lean muscle gain :smile :
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! Everyone for their input, I will try it out...I'm so excited to try it!!!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Get with Coach Kathy. She will get you a program that will trim down that belly. Unfortunately the major fat stores in out body are in our stomach...Men and Women. They are the last to go away. In the past 80 days I've done 30 days of Power 90 and 50 days of P90X. I've lost over 5 inches from my stomach alone. I've done thousands of AB reps but I won't see them until I get under 11% body fat. My goal is under 10%. Women's body fat is a little higher than mens so I think the number is like 13 -15 % (can't remember exactly). You've already lost 50+ lbs and that awesome but until you drop that other 50 plus you will still have the stomach. You are 1/2 way there and you're an inspiration. Keep it up. It took a long time to build that stomach it's going to take a long time to tear it down. Hang in there, you can do it. I wanna see the pictures when you get there.