fat free cream cheese... ?

Options
Ok so this may be silly but i am wondering if anyone is having a hard time finding FAT FREE cream cheese??? I have always bought it at my local walmart but this week there wasnt a spot for it even on the shelf... so i went to another store and the same thing... so wierd... i bought the reduced fat instead but i do want the fat free... anyone have any thoughts???

Replies

• lorals05
    Options
    They never have the fat free kind, only low fat, in my local store. One option I've been experimenting with is the neufchatel cheese. If you look at the low fat and neufchatel cheese labels, the neufchatel usually wins in most categories. They both taste the same to me as well.

Good like finding the fat free cream cheese that you are looking for!
  • reddog101
    Options
    So odd to see your post. Just yesterday I was looking for and couldn't find the fat free cream cheese. Had to settle for the reduced fat kind. Was really disappointed. I didn't have any trouble finding it before the holidays but now it seems to not be available.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents here:

Fat is good for you. Fat doesn't make you fat it satiates you. good healthy fats!! and, cream cheese has it's place. when we cut backk on fats too much, we tend to then crave other foods to make up the energy difference and most folks tend to run to processed carbs (not good)

Also, cutting too far back on fats constipates you and nobody likes that!

Fats have their place in a great nutrtion plan, don't go crazy trying to get rid of them!
  • mogadad
    mogadad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's in a green box. Hard to find but worth the effort. I buy it up when I see it
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I only eat the full fat version and have a hard enough time finding that with all the low fat or half fat versions about!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    how does it taste!? FF cottage cheese is YUCK! I always go for Neufchatel...
  • leemarie324
    leemarie324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i bought it from walmart and i cant seem to get pass the taste of it..gross
  • livingaloha
    Options
    From what I understand you are better off with the Low-fat than non-fat anyway. nonfats are full of fillers and other non-natural additives. better to keep things as close to natural state as possible, have heard this on various Dr/health shows as well as read about it.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents here:

Fat is good for you. Fat doesn't make you fat it satiates you. good healthy fats!! and, cream cheese has it's place. when we cut backk on fats too much, we tend to then crave other foods to make up the energy difference and most folks tend to run to processed carbs (not good)

Fats have their place in a great nutrtion plan, don't go crazy trying to get rid of them!

Amen to this! Also, have you actually looked at the label? It only saves you 20 calories. What does it cost you? 200mgs of sodium! I'll budget in those fat calories and skip the water retaining sodium thank you very much.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents here:

This, plus I think FF cream cheese tastes nasty! I'd rather have a little of the real thing. Maybe even organic.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    kroger...food lion...martins
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Ok so this may be silly but i am wondering if anyone is having a hard time finding FAT FREE cream cheese??? I have always bought it at my local walmart but this week there wasnt a spot for it even on the shelf... so i went to another store and the same thing... so wierd... i bought the reduced fat instead but i do want the fat free... anyone have any thoughts???

Target! The super targets at least.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I find it at HEB all the time and always get the HEB brand.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents here:

Amen to this! Also, have you actually looked at the label? It only saves you 20 calories. What does it cost you? 200mgs of sodium! I'll budget in those fat calories and skip the water retaining sodium thank you very much.

I agree! Fat free versions of things are not necessarily healthier for you.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents here:

I'd risk 20 calories over that much sodium WOW.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents here:

I'd risk 20 calories over that much sodium WOW.

I think the question is: where can I find it, not: is it healthier :smile:

To the OP: I would ask someone working at the dairy dept. at the store to see if there might be a shortage for some reason.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I used FF cream cheese and FF ranch in my buffalo chicken dip once...GROSS!!! That doesn't answer your question at all...but I'd go for the low fat :)
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Fat free cream cheese is evil. Have you noticed the stuff doesn't melt? It's gotta be plastic or something. I wouldn't worry about not finding it.

Someone suggested Neufchatel which is quite like 1/3 less fat cream cheese. It's tasty, it spreads, and it melts. :) Full-fat is even better.

I usually buy Neufchatel or full-fat cream cheese. The difference in calories from Fat Free to 1/3 fat or Full-Fat isn't worth the huge difference in flavor/texture IMHO.

** steps off soapbox and drags it away **
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What do you think they're putting in place of the fat to make it taste like cream cheese?
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i appreciate what you are saying for sure and i totally agree:) however, i do get lots of fat in my diet but was looking for it for a specific reason... haha thank you:)