Stay off the sweetners

Options
I have for two weeks been off of added sugars and sweetners, and I have relized that even though sweetners are 0 calories they really trigger my hunger. I have read all the studies earlier but my mind set has been, well at least I can have my diet coke. It cant be that bad. Well it is, dieting has never been this easy since I decided to disclose sweetners, trust me, it is really worth trying. Give it a week - 10 days, youll be surprised

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Funny, adding sweeteners to my tea instead of sugar has made this weight loss very easy for me. Saved me 4-500 cals, without sacrificing the taste! It's been one of the key things in my sticking with this, making it as pleasurable as possible!

Glad cutting them helped you though! Everyone is different ofc.
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think its one of those things that is just different for everyone, Some people love them and some people cannot stand to use them.

I always think that are better than the real thing but if you can avoid the artificial sweeteners as well, that is also great.
  • fitnessfreakygrrl
    Options
    For me I found sweetners as a great way to trick my sweet tooth.
    Instead of grabbing cookies or something I'd regret I simply put on the kettle and added half a sweetner. :)
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    don't know what i'd do without artificial sweeteners but then, i'm diabetic so sugar is a no no! I don't use heaps though but i'd die if i didn't get a little of it in my tea or on weetbix etc.
  • CocoaBeautiful78
    Options
    I've changed alot of things but one thing I refuse to let go of is my sweetners.Uh uh....no way....end of story! lol
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm the same! Even chewing gum makes me much hungrier. It must be a person-to-person thing.
  • livingaloha
    Options
    Truvia is a great sweetner, it is all natural (no chemicals or stuff you cant even pronounce), has a low glycemic index, and does not cause you to crave more sweets like artificial sweetners can
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Stevia is a saving grace! I love it. It's not artificial and I haven't experienced any side effects like I did with things like splenda.
  • BeardieDad
    BeardieDad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    From my reading, the thinking behind being hungry with sweeteners is that you body anticipates the sugar load and dumps isulin into the blood stream. When the sugar does not materialize the extra dose of isulin causes your blood glucose to go low triggering hunger.

As other people said, it seems to impact some more than others.
  • Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Watching Dr. Oz last week opened up my eyes to sweeteners. I switched back to reg. Sugar. It is hard because it's not as sweet as I'm used to. Only been off for a week, so we will see.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Watching Dr. Oz last week opened up my eyes to sweeteners. I switched back to reg. Sugar. It is hard because it's not as sweet as I'm used to. Only been off for a week, so we will see.

You're better off doing your own research than believing anything Dr Oz says tbh...
  • queenblomberg
    Options
    Thankx for all the inputs... And thats whats so good about myfitnesspale it shows really how different we all are. I just love the feeling not being addicted to sugar anymore... :-)

Good luck to all of you!
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have one a day on my grapefruit or in my coffee... I don't like using them too much.