When to get new clothes

Options
SB1166
SB1166 Posts: 9 Member
Okay so I've lost about 37 lbs since I started making changes and I still have about that much more to go. All my clothes hang on me but are still sort of wearable. I want to go get new clothes but I still have some distance to go for my goal and I'm still having success so I sort of want to wait until I get closer to where I want to be.

Have you been there done that? What did you do?

Replies

• danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I attended weight watchers, the leader said to at least get a pair or 2 of basic pants (black, brown, etc.) that fit you currently - not expensive but ones you can fit into. That way you can reward yourself but not go over board. Congrats on your success thus far!
  • stewartjl
    Options
    I bought new clothes after losing 35-40 pounds. I had people telling me my clothes were just too big and my jeans and skirts would no longer stay up, so it became a necessity! It is a tough decision, though. You hate to spend money on new clothes when you feel as if you may have to purchase more later as you lose more weight.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Get new stuff. It'll make you feel good. Just don't spend too much on it. If you want you can hit thrift stores or things like that. I usually go for clearance sections in stores that aren't pricey to begin with. If it's not the best quality, it doesn't matter because you won't be wearing it THAT long. :)
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I've bought selected items, a couple pairs of jeans, a few new shirts, new gym pants and work slacks. I am proud of the weight I have lost and I wan to show off my hard work! Toss out or donate the too big stuff, you aren't going back there. I still have a few FAT pair of pants that fit ok with a belt. I just use those for work since my job is hard on clothes. Wear what fits, don't buy too much, since you are still losing and be proud of your skinnier butt!!!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I am at the same stage and I've bought a couple of staples - things like new trousers which are a necessity. For tops I've started getting imaginative because I can't afford to replace everything now and then again in a few months... some of my shirt and tunic type tops, I've started to wear as dresses. I'm using belts now to cinch in my waist and create an outline in an outfit that would otherwise be a tent. A few things I have taken in although the shape is awful and they aren't good enough to take to a tailor. I'm just grateful the sales are starting :)
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I agree... it's ok to buy yourself something that you feel good and confident in now. No need to go with an entirely new wardrobe, just a few basics for those days you want to show off your weight loss. When you reach your goal, reward yourself with a couple more..... months down the road when you have maintained, do it again! Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • MandyJaneRose
    MandyJaneRose Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When I am between where I was and where I want to be, I usually treat myself to something new if I have an event I need a nice outfit for, but otherwise try to keep a tight budget for new clothing. I go to consignment stores (or thrift stores) and see if I can find some jeans there, rather than go all out and buy a new wardrobe. There are things like cardigans and sweaters that look equally good fitted or oversized, so when I buy new things, I make sure it's wearable both at my current weight and a lighter weight.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I've lbought new clothes as I needed them. If you can budget it do it. It's been costly. I had to buy basically everything- panties, bras, pajamas bottoms. Only thing wasn't socks! I couldn't wait to get some pricey jeans and when then were fitting a bit odd just took them to get tailored. I'm sure I'll need new ones later but I can at least get a little more mileage from them.
  • occupyme
    occupyme Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree. Shop. You look good underneath those baggy clothes, so show off a little. It will make you feel better, too.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I shop the thrift store. Then I don't feel bad when I shrink out of them.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Shop at Thrift Stores...you can buy stuff for next to nothing......when you reach your final GOAL weight you can buy all sorts of expensive nice name brand clothes and since you paid so much for them you will be determined not to gain the weight back. :)
  • vhjacobson
    vhjacobson Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did as Danascot/Weight Watchers suggested - bought 2 pair of basics at a great sale price so I did not look so unprofessional. It felt great! Also bought a new pair of jeans on sale - had to take them back for an additional size smaller! Wahoo!
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What about take them to a tailor and have them altered? This is much cheaper than buying all new clothing.

How about visiting a consignment or thrift store and picking a few things up in your current size. Not only will it look better but it will also do wonders to your motivation and self esteem when you see that new lower size article of clothing.
  • heidithebee
    Options
    Definitely agreeing with those who say thrift stores. You can find a lot of cute, affordable items for very little money. And more often than not your money is going to a good cause so you have something extra to be proud of.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm half way to my goal and I had to buy a few new pants and underwear. I bought 3 pairs of pants, a new belt and a 5-pack of underwear. I'm hoping these get me through to goal.

My tops are pretty big, but I'm holding off as long as I can on buying anything else. All my bras still fit, but I'm now using the last (smallest fit) row of hooks. I may have to by a new bra soon.

The thrift store is an excellent idea though! I'm going to check them out for sure!
  • zoeelizabeths
    zoeelizabeths Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should go ahead and treat yourself, but that you don't have to go overboard. Another thing to think about though is that once you lose even more weight you can then sell the transition clothes to consignment store, that way you at least get some of your money back.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I know that when I look good in the clothes I'm wearing (so, when I'm wearing clothes that fit properly). I feel more motivated to stay on track!

I shop thrift stores and clearance sales for a few new pieces about every 20lbs (i know my ticker says I've lost 20lbs, but that's on MFP, I've actually lost closer to 60) and I can usually spend less than $20 for those few things all together.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yes, shop! You've lost heaps of weight - I bet you'll get lots of compliments in fitted clothes that you don't get in your big clothes.

Get just a few things - on special and/ from thrift/consignment stores/ebay etc. And maybe aim for some things with stretch that are currently a bit snug so they can do for the next 10 - 15 pounds of weight loss.

The only new clothes I've bought have been a tight pair of jeans. I could do with losing a few more pounds to make them totally comfy. They're going to be my 'are you getting fatter' jeans when I get to maintenance. I inherited some clothes from my mum and some of them are smaller t shirts/ tops so that's handy. Oh, and I bought a new smaller bra - very important not to be slopping out of one's bra. (I also had some smaller ones that I stopped wearing that I'm back into now).

I haven thrown out a fair few clothes that are too big though - a bit sad for some really nice things that are going... But I can get more lovely things in smaller sizes... the world is full of clothes! :happy:
  • dragonladywendy
    Options
    I'm totally where you are right now! I had to buy new clothes (went from an 18 to 12 UK size) I went to Asda / Walmart and bought 3 pairs of trousers and 5 tops, new underware - but that was it! I rotate regularly and already I can see some need replacing - I will as and when, but refuse to spend a fortune...that is till I've reached my goal, where hubby has promised me a new wardrobe (swoon) I'd recommend you replace where you need to, keep costs low and save for the BIG DAY when all your dreams come true and the new you needs dressing to show off that figure!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Even a few pieces that fit right will spruce up your wardrobe. I hit a sale of $10 dress pants a while back and bought five pairs. They're a little big now, but still OK for work and I'm basically where I want to be (size wise). Look for great clearance sales and try to make some things last, but like others said, wearing stuff that fits will make you feel amazing and help stay motivated!