iPhone v.s Samsung Galaxy

Options

Replies

• I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    as far as i know the samsung is thinner and definately has a larger screen so if you're used to dropping your phone, the samsung may be less able to withstand this type of torture but i cant say for sure cuz i havnt done the research.

definately invest ina good sturdy case tho!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have an unrooted, totally stock Samsung Galaxy S from T-Mobile (the old one I guess) and I like it a lot.

Here are my top reasons Android > iOS
    *Google Navigation, which is basically free GPS.
    *3rd Party Apps, (I have awesome bootleg Tetris and Scrabble instead of the crappy official versions)
    *Removable batteries, so you can carry a spare on long trips
    * Amazon Cloud Player dedicated app
    *Removable SIM card so I can fill up one with movies or music for a flight
    *Ability to play multiple video formats
    *swype
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I've got a Samsung Galaxy S. Haven't had any problems out of it, and recently upgraded it after putting it off for too long and I'm liking it a lot more.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I am hearing a lot of good review of Ice Cream Sandwich.

FYI Google names their OS' after deserts.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have an unrooted, totally stock Samsung Galaxy S from T-Mobile (the old one I guess) and I like it a lot.

Here are my top reasons Android > iOS
    *Google Navigation, which is basically free GPS.
    *3rd Party Apps, (I have awesome bootleg Tetris and Scrabble instead of the crappy official versions)
    *Removable batteries, so you can carry a spare on long trips
    * Amazon Cloud Player dedicated app
    *Removable SIM card so I can fill up one with movies or music for a flight
    *Ability to play multiple video formats
    *swype

Two thumbs up for speaking my language :)
  • odusgolp
    Options
    It also just occurred to me - I have at least 5 home chargers, car charger, iphone charging pad, apps, etc. that would also need replacing... hrmmm.

(Now I'm just thinking aloud.)
  • Espressocycle
    Options
    It also just occurred to me - I have at least 5 home chargers, car charger, iphone charging pad, apps, etc. that would also need replacing... hrmmm.

(Now I'm just thinking aloud.)

Oh, another thing that's better about android phones - most use standard micro-usb charging/data ports that are interchangable with each other as well as interchangable with many other devices such as most new digital cameras. granted, some devices are still using mini-usb, but there are adaptors, plus you can keep the plug part and exchange the chord at any store.
  • Espressocycle
    Options
    Don't forget flash! Lots of web sites, especially restaurant ones you might actually check on the go, use flash, which iPhones can't see.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Don't forget flash! Lots of web sites, especially restaurant ones you might actually check on the go, use flash, which iPhones can't see.

I do hate that...
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I think I just need to play with one... Feel it out.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Apple iPhone 4S VS. Samsung Galaxy S (TM) II

Any Opinions??

I smashed my iPhone today. I've been an iPhone user for probably 6 years, but am open to Android. I've boiled to down to these two based on what's available to me. They are bot $199 (if I go 16GB - I currently have 32GB).

Any thoughts?

I've owned both. I hated my iphone love my galaxy. It came down to the operating systems. I love android, that's about as techy as I get.
  • luckyinlife
    luckyinlife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Did the EXACT same thing as you did! Had an iPhone forever then wanted to see what it was like to try something else. Let me just say that I could not WAIT to go back to iPhone!!!!!!!
  • JeanniebeanL79
    JeanniebeanL79 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have the galaxy and love it! :-)
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I have a Galaxy S2, it's my life and I would be very lost without it, I think I-Phones are over-rated ***** :happy:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    iPhones = No 4g speed support in the United States currently.

If you like 4g speeds that Androids can offer in certain areas(most metro areas for sure)...it's a no brainer.
  • odusgolp
    Options

If you like 4g speeds that Androids can offer in certain areas(most metro areas for sure)...it's a no brainer.

I honestly don't get that... the iPhone has 4G "checked" as a feature when you compare it against androids... yet you and others say it's not supported. Please explain :)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    as someone who recently converted from an Android phone to an iphone 4s and had a similar debate, here's what I think it boils down to.

if you are NOT tech savvy, the iphone is more user friendly than the droid phones.

if you use your phone for taking pictures and/or listening to music, the iphone is better.

if you prefer a larger screen, and don't mind carrying around a larger phone, then you will want an Android option (by the way, I thought the Nexus was pretty cool).

if you are tech savvy enough to tinker, then you will probably have more fun with an Android phone.

for me, I'm not tech savvy, I enjoy user friendliness, and I want top notch picture capability. I don't miss anything that I'm apparently missing out on. and the iphone 4s is plenty fast enough IMO.
  • H_Factor
    Options

I honestly don't get that... the iPhone has 4G "checked" as a feature when you compare it against androids... yet you and others say it's not supported. Please explain :)

the iphone 4s is not on a true 4g network. I don't know all the tech lingo involved, but I think its supported by HSPA+ or something like that, which gives it the feel of what most current 4g networks offer. regardless, the iphone is plenty fast. keep in mind that some computers which appear to have better specs just aren't any faster (or, in some cases, are slower) than other computers which appearingly lesser specs. In short, "specs" only tell part of the story.
  • H_Factor
    Options
    I think I just need to play with one... Feel it out.

yes, you should do that.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I smashed my iPhone today. I've been an iPhone user for probably 6 years, but am open to Android. I've boiled to down to these two based on what's available to me. They are bot $199 (if I go 16GB - I currently have 32GB).

Any thoughts?
    If the only thing broken is the glass (i.e., it still turns on and displays the picture, but the glass is cracked), you (or a nearby nerd) can replace the glass for about $20 + about an hour of work. If the picture is displaying wrong but the phone still works, it's about $50 to replace the glass and LCD. If it won't turn on or receive phone calls, it could be anything.

When my wife smashed hers, I replaced the glass (yes, I'm the nerd) and have been using it around the house as an iTouch. One nice thing about the iPhone is that once you activate it, even a locked phone still works on wifi after you remove the sim chip.