Do you eat your exercise calories back?

Options
I don't understand why you are supposed to eat your exercise calories back? Isn't that the whole point of exercising, to burn off those calories?

Replies

• NancyDrew26
    Options
    I totally agree. I don't understand either. And no, I don't.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I do not. Its a matter of what works for you. MFP has a deficit preset for you already. If you don't want to eat all you can just eat half. When I see the need to eat them back, plateau then I will.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I don't eat them back. But it's very individual. Sometimes people feel sluggish when they don't eat their exercise calories back, or they notice a stall in their weight loss or a loss of lean tissue rather than fat. Depends entirely upon how it impacts you.
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There are tons of posts about this.....here's my understanding of it: MFP gives you a calorie intake for the day based on the amount and frequency of weight you want to lose (1 lb/week, 2 lb/week, etc). So, when you exercise you add calories to that total - you just need to be sure you still consume the NET total of calories. Eating back exercise calories seems to work for some, I tend to eat back some of them - it just depends.
  • Courtneycms88
    Courtneycms88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Currently I eat back the calories I burn because even though I am allotted 1990 calories I only eat between 1200-1400. I don't want to eat less than that so I eat back the calories until I am about 1200. I find that my body responds better, I am satisfied and not starving 24x7.
  • zasiiniya
    zasiiniya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There are tons of posts about this.....here's my understanding of it: MFP gives you a calorie intake for the day based on the amount and frequency of weight you want to lose (1 lb/week, 2 lb/week, etc). So, when you exercise you add calories to that total - you just need to be sure you still consume the NET total of calories. Eating back exercise calories seems to work for some, I tend to eat back some of them - it just depends.

This. When I didn't eat my exercise calories back I actually gained weight from consuming too little. MFP warned me I'd go into starvation mode, but I didn't listen and consumed fewer than 1200 net cal a day. I'm on a 1lb a week loss instead of 1.5 now, and I still eat my exercise calories.

The deficit is already built into the program. So if you're on a track to lose 1lb a week, and you exercise and eat your calories back, you will STILL lose 1lb a week. If you want to lose MORE than that, go ahead and don't eat them - or just change the plan (from 1lb to 1.5lb or whatever).
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    yep i do.
    mfp creates a deficit for you before you even think about exercise, so if you eat your goal and dont exercise at all, youll still lose weight.
    exercise isnt to lose weight, its to strengthen and improve your body. you need to fuel your body to keep it running properly, which is why i eat my exercise calories.
    the only time i dont recommend eating exercise calories is if you included your exercise in your daily activity level settings, and/or youre following doctors orders of a strict intake.
  • BeardieDad
    BeardieDad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The theory is that MFP has already created a deficit based on your profile settings. Keep in mind it is estimating your base metabolic rate, if it got it close then you can eat back the exercise calories and be fine. If it missed than you may have to do something different. I personally just keep an eye on where I'm at and adjust accordingly.
  • Twinsmama75
    Twinsmama75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who answered my question! I am new to MFP (at least to the exercise part of it & the topics) and appreciate the responses.

Sorry to those who were annoyed that I asked a question that apparently is asked a lot...you really didn't need to waste your time responding though. Seriously, go find something to do with yourself.
  • melruiz5
    melruiz5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do not eat my excercise calories.
  • Jaxnoney
    Options
    I am new here but I really don't understand "eating your calories back". Why would you expend energy working out to just "eat it back"? This has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard!

If you are on a calorie restricted diet less than 1000 calories per day (and that is still low) you are on a very unhealthy diet. You may lose weight but you will not keep it off! Yoyo dieting is very dangerous, especially if you are already overweight. You have to find an eating plan that you can live with for the rest of your life.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who answered my question! I am new to MFP (at least to the exercise part of it & the topics) and appreciate the responses.

Sorry to those who were annoyed that I asked a question that apparently is asked a lot...you really didn't need to waste your time responding though. Seriously, go find something to do with yourself.

And yet you are rude right back... complaining about people who were rude to you. Way to go.

To answer you're question though, I do eat mine back. I like food and I like to eat... so it's a win win.

Look at it this way.. You eat 1200 and then burn off 500-600 of that in a real intense workout session.. which leaves you're body with 500-600 calories.. and those 500-600 have to sustain all of you're bodily functions, plus repair you're muscles.. thats not nearly enough to do all that. Which is why 95% percent of the MFP population says to eat them back.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options

I was making a general statement about something a lot of posters do, even seasoned posters. Even though it was on your thread, it wasn't directed at you - more of a general statement as there are a ton of duplicate posts on this board. You'll see it as you post more. When you have a question, sometimes if you search it first you'll find really good answers that you may not get otherwise, because people may not post their answers twice. I wasn't annoyed and definitely wasn't trying to offend you. Sorry if it came across that way! :)
  • Twinsmama75
    Twinsmama75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kateroot, I actually didn't see the search option until you pointed it out & thanks for clearing up how you meant it. So many people are rude on-line b/c they can be, so it's hard to know how to take it sometimes.

@dad106- I will be rude back to people who feel they need to get on topics just to say rude things. My point to them, is that they are wasting their time, if they don't want to answer the question then go find something else to do, there's no reason to say mean things when I asked a reasonable question. No need for them to ruin my mood b/c they are miserable. But thanks for your answer to the original question.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You better believe I do!
  • heatherterp
    Options
    I try not to eat them, but sometimes I eat into them. I have been on MFP since October and I have lost almost 20 pounds. I am happy with my loss. I have picked 2 pounds a week, but I am averaging far less. I have my food diary opne so if you have suggestions I will take them :)
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    I do.
  • OseaHello
    Options
    I don't get it either .. I don't eat mine back ... I just make sure to NET 1200 calories a day
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's the same idea as we're "used to" just mathed differently.
    MFP gives you a deficit to lose weight before you lift a finger in exercise. Exercising burns calories widening that gap. Eating them back maintains your gap for loss right where you want it, rather than at a wide maybe unsafe / unsustainable gap.

My nutritionist / dietitian "achieved" the same thing for me by giving me a higher calorie goal and using the exercise to create the deficit.

IE with MFP I get 1900 calories before exercise, eating back exercise calories... lets say 500 (you'll see why next entry) I eat 2400 calories..

with my dietitian I was given a 2400 calorie goal and 500 calories expected to be burned daily. Wow. Look at that... same 1900 calories... as the first one... or same 2400 calories whichever way, to STILL match my goal of 2lbs per week loss.

SO which side of the math are you coming from?
    I have over 100 pounds to lose so 2lbs is right for me.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back............Wait a minute. I don't even count calories so need to worry about eating exercise calories back.

I let being in a state of Ketosis burn the fat up on my body.