Food tracking...what do you track?

Options
What are the most important things to track? They give you so many options, but which ones are the most important to stay within a certain range?

Replies

• justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Everything I put in my mouth!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Everything I eat and drink and the cardio that I do.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Depends on your goals. For example, you may want to track sugar if you tend to eat a lot of sweets. I track protein, carbs, and fat (obviously), but also sodium and fiber because I'm trying to keep my sodium low and fiber high.

ETA: To PPs, I think OP was referring to what nutrients to choose to track in your diary settings.
  • KickingDarkness
    Options
    Yes I'm new to this but so far I've tracked everything I put in my mouth even if it doesn't have any calories (like diet soda).
  • Dawna954
    Dawna954 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I too track everything I put in my mouth. It becomes painstakingly clear where you are making the mistakes in your diet. I ate a salad last week and was so proud of my choice until I logged it and found out it was 550 cals! Now I check before I eat. It really does work as it makes you accountable for your choices. Happy Logging!
  • tifmarie9
    tifmarie9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like to track protein, sugar, iron, fat.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I track protein, fat, carbs, fiber and sodium. High protein, low ish carb the rest fat. Low sodium and high fiber :)
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Protein, carbs and fat.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I try to keep the sugar low. I also try to make sure I am close to the chart for carbs, fat and protein
  • dalygirl_2010
    Options
    I track everything, and I mean everything!!! But I have huge weight loss goals so in order to have the progress I want I need to keep track of everything
  • mimi31
    mimi31 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I track everything, but sometimes i don't log the extra apple or orange!
  • jezlightyear
    jezlightyear Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    yep pretty much just track everything i put into my mouth, unless it's like chewing gum or medicine.. lol!
    or if i have one bite/sip of something..that's just sillyness!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Right now I track calories until I get closer to my weight goal, then it might be sodium and sugar, even carbs
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    Besides carbs, fat, protein, I track sugar and sodium...it was a real eye-opener to see the difference in salt from food I buy at restaurants vs what I make at home.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Calories is the most important for weight loss - the rest is down to individual preference.

I'm working on strength training, so protein is quite important to me, and I aim for 100g a day, so I track that.

I also find that I do better when I keep my carbs low-ish, so I track those, aiming for a max of 100g.

My big weaknesses tend to be fat and sugar, so I track those too, even though I'm always over!
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    I track mostly only calories and protien. I try to get 30% protien intake although its hard. I guess I care about that more than anything else because I know it feeds my muscles and doesnt break down into sugar. If I try to keep track of too many things I get discouraged, other than getting enough protien I just eat whatever I want within my calorie limit.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    I'm tracking Carbs, Fats, Proteins, Fiber, and Sodium. I'm not concerned if I go "over" on my Fats or Protein. I rarely meet my Carb allowance, and frequently go over on the other two (even after adjusting the ratios), but it doesn't worry me too much. I know that as long as I'm maintaining a proper calorie deficit, then I will lose weight. I *am* concerned with making sure I get enough fiber (I mean, who wants to get too little?) and I'm really, really concerned with my sodium intake. I have high blood pressure and I've battled a salt addiction my whole entire life. I remember being like 3-years-old and sneaking pinches of salt. It's that bad. So I've decided to pay attention to how much I'm eating, even if I'm not entirely able to get in under control yet. Tracking my sodium on here has truely been eye-opening for me. I can't believe the amount of sodium that I used to consume on a daily basis. Even now that I'm monitoring it and making smarter choices, I still go at least 500-1,500 over the recommended amount of 2,500 every day. Skeery.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Everything I put in my mouth!
    Ditto! And I measure portions as well, also double check nutrition values of stuff in database - some are not correct so be careful :smile:
  • nattypatty26
    nattypatty26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    everything i eat even if its a small bite of something it still counts!
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes, I meant what do you track carbs, fats, sugars, fiber etc.

I also track everything I eat...otherwise whats the point of only putting this and that down!