Hard time meeting calorie goal...

Options
My calorie goal is 1360/day and I am under almost everyday. I am not starving myself by any means. I eat when I'm hungry. Some days I'm forcing myself to eat even when I'm completely full just to try to get to 1200 cal and I'm still usually under. I'm really confused about what to do. I'm scared if I keep force feeding myself I'll gain weight but I'm also scared if I don't eat at least 1200 cal/day I'll gain! Help me please!

Replies

• Bluejay789
    Options
    If you would open your diary we could see what you are eating.

Without seeing what you are eating we cannot be objective or make suggestions.
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sorry...didn't realize it wasn't open...just changed some settings. Should be fixed.
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    add some protein to that breakfast and add some fruit to your soups
  • jetescamilla
    Options
    I wish I had that problem. I could use a spare burger to fit in.

Anyway, you could try adding something like Orange Juice to your morning breakfast. I usually have one in the morning and 1 serving alone add 110 calories plus vitamin D.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What about peanut butter or nuts? Those will boost your calories up pretty quick and you don't have to eat a lot.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    you are barely eating! Try something with the banana for breakfast.... a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter or cheese, or a scrambled egg. Maybe a chef's salad for lunch (this gives you protein and complex carbs), or a meal made fresh instead of a pre-packaged diet item. Dinner should be complex carbs, (veggies), protein, maybe small amount of simple carbs (pasta, etc), or not, depending on your preference. Beef up the protein (pun not intended), and fruit and veggie intake.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    You definitely need some more protein in there. Lean meat, eggs, even protein shakes.. just something to get that protein up! Also, adding some healthy fats will help. Nuts, olive oil, avocado, etc.. You seem to be eating a lot of processed "diet" foods as well. They're really not good for you. You're on the right track, with a few changes I think you'll do great!

ETA: Also, you will NOT gain if you eat less than 1200 calories. That's a total myth. If you're eating too little, you'll lose more lean tissue (muscle) than fat, but your weight loss will continue. You literally cannot gain weight on that much of a calorie deficit. It's good for you to eat at least 1200, but don't freak out if you go under once in a while. :)
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Juice will give you calories.

Other calorie dense foods are things like:
    Nuts
    Peanut/Almond Butter
    Cheese
    Beans
    Rice (which you have, but maybe you could increase amounts?)

Good luck!
    Mostly I think if you're listening to your body, it's not a HUGE issue. But that's just opinion.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you're not the person on the left in your profile picture! If you're 30 lbs overweight and your MFP goal seems even less than what you were eating before with no goals, you need to see your doctor about why your metabolism is so low.
  • Bluejay789
    Options
    I think you need to eat more for your breakfast and you will reach your calorie goal. Before I lost weight, I never ate breakfast. I was not hungry.

When I started MFP I had to force myself to eat breakfast. Breakfast is the most important and jump starts your metabolism for the day.

Couple of suggestions that I do but if you do not like them, I am sure someone else will have more suggestions.

I eat Maple Brown Instant Sugar oatmeal. It's 160 calories.

Or I eat apples slices and chocolate peanut butter. 1 tablespoon of chocolate peanut butter. Chocolate Peanut butter is 170 calories for 2 table spoons. That is normally around 240 calories for Breakfast. By the way, Chocolate Peanut butter is made by the * Peanut Butter company. Available at walmart $3.98 for a jar. Will last a couple of weeks for breakfast depending on how often you eat it.

These are quick breakfast ideas because I leave for work every day around 6:30. I eat at my desk. On the weekends I will have Thomas English Muffin 100 calorie and a scambled egg with cheese, That gets me up to around 380 - 400 calories on the weekend for breakfast.

Remember this is a lifestyle eating change, not a diet so take your time and make little adjustments here and there and you will succeed. Eating breakfast was the hardest thing for me since I had not eaten breakfast except on the weekend for years. But then again that is why I am over weight. I was not jump starting my metabolism and not eating health either.

You can do it!

Claire
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all! I will try out some of your suggestions. I'll especially try to add more protein and eat more for breakfast.:)