is too much protein bad?

Options
Hope this doesnt sound like a stupid question....but I was just curious if it is bad that i eat more protein than MFP suggests. I am new to this whole thing so I figured i would ask someone with more intellegence about this than myself. thanks for any help given

Replies

• SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have read that you should eat 0.5g for ever pound you weigh 200 lbs 100g but you have to lower your carbs.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    NO SUCH THING!! Protein is great for you, helps repair muscles and make you feel fuller longer! I eat about 150 grams of protein a day without even trying!!

PS I have not been logging since pregnant so don't look :)
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you eat more protein than you need, your body just burns it for energy. That will produce more toxins for your kidneys to eliminate. If you have normal kidneys, that may not be an issue, but if you have chronic kidney disease, it can be an issue.

Many high protein foods are also the same ones that cause gout, so that's another possible issue.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    You have to get a pretty ridiculous amount of protein for it to actually be too much. Several of my friends shoot for 70, 80, even 100g+ per day and they are not big people. I'm currently 132 and one of my friends I'm thinking of is like 120 and we both tend to get around 100g per day. You don't necessarily HAVE to have that much, my friend eats a lot b/c she is trying to build muscle and I'm eating that much b/c I'm trying not to LOSE too much muscle, plus it makes me feel more full if I eat more protein.

When in doubt, you can always schedule a checkup w/ your primary care physician to make sure you don't have any specific medical issues to consider.
  • smetivier26
    Options
    I only konw that gout is caused from eating alot of protein from seafood and red meats . Otherwise I dont think there is too much bad with it. I'd like to know what MFP got the numbers from for how much of each you should get. I try to follow it but I find it strange that it suggests quite a bit of saturated fat yet doesn't tell you how much unsaturated fats to have.
  • suprfast
    Options
    Too much of anything is bad for you. As a power lifter I consume upwards of 300g of protein per day and have routine bloodwork. I have zero issues with any of my blood counts(kidney functions etc...) and my cholesterol is near perfect. 5'9'" and 210lbs(thought im cutting to 195).

Is too much bad???? It has to be a hell of a lot but even most of those studies are inconclusive.