Food tracking...what do you track?

Options
13»

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I make sure I limit calories and that I get enough protein and potassium. I'm taking Tums, a multivitamin, a B complex with C, and occasional additional vitamin D (I've got osteoporosis), so I'm generally ok for calcium and vitamins. It's hard to track potassium, since most foods don't include it. If I eat something a lot, I'll look it up on the USDA database and edit the MFP database. But mostly I have to be satisfied having more potassium than sodium.

I don't worry about fat, which is usually extremely low for me anyway. I don't worry about sugar, as most of my calories are carbs by default.

I try to track vitamin K on my own, as that isn't listed on food labels and the amount in multivitamins is less than half the RDA.

You realize that without fat your body will not absorb the Vitamin D right? Anyone that needs to take a Vitamin D supplement should be consuming a bit higher fat eating plan so that the Fat soluable vitamins will get absorbed.
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The app I use to track calories also tracks carbs protein and fat. I like my app because it has a range for each of these, not just one number to meet. Calories in/ calories out is the golden rule, bit I've always felt I've had more success when my macros are met and balanced.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Calories and protein are my main concerns (not too many calories, plenty of protein) - I only casually watch carbs and fat, they are not a deal-breaker in my meal planning. LOL I don't bother watching sugar or sodium, that would just depress me. My 'extras' are fiber and calcium, just to be sure I'm getting enough on a daily basis.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You realize that without fat your body will not absorb the Vitamin D right? Anyone that needs to take a Vitamin D supplement should be consuming a bit higher fat eating plan so that the Fat soluable vitamins will get absorbed.

Good point, but my bone density jumped considerably on the current plan, so it appears to be working out. I usually take my multivitamin with my fattiest meal of the day.
  • JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I track carbs ( try to keep low), fat, protein, fiber (try to keep high), and sugar( because I have a major belly fat problem).
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I track every food I put into my mouth. But the main focus for me is fat, carbs, calories, protein, and sugar. Sugar for me is the devil so I do my best to keep it as low as possible and certainly avoid going over if I can help it.
  • washington_apple
    washington_apple Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Here are my main things I track:

Calories
    Sugar
    Fiber
    Protein
    Sodium

The importance I place of hitting the goals are in the following order: Calories, Fiber, Sodium, Protein, Sugar. I find it frustrating to stay within my sugar limit because I eat fruit a lot and that seems to up it pretty quick. It would be different if I ate sweets but I very rarely do :(
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Protein mainly. Beyond that I just try and hit my calorie goal for the day.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    I make sure I limit calories and that I get enough protein and potassium. I'm taking Tums, a multivitamin, a B complex with C, and occasional additional vitamin D (I've got osteoporosis), so I'm generally ok for calcium and vitamins. It's hard to track potassium, since most foods don't include it. If I eat something a lot, I'll look it up on the USDA database and edit the MFP database. But mostly I have to be satisfied having more potassium than sodium.

I don't worry about fat, which is usually extremely low for me anyway. I don't worry about sugar, as most of my calories are carbs by default.

I try to track vitamin K on my own, as that isn't listed on food labels and the amount in multivitamins is less than half the RDA.

Hey, that's awesome! I didn't realize that at all. (And of course my doctor never mentioned it.) I am severely Vitamin D deficient. Now I can say that my high daily fat count is actually *good* for my health. :-D
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Good point, but my bone density jumped considerably on the current plan, so it appears to be working out. I usually take my multivitamin with my fattiest meal of the day.

I'm actually doing my doctoral independent study on osteoporosis. High impact exercise and weight bearing exercise has been shown to increase bone mineral density! Avoid any flexion as this puts the most stress on your spine! Lying on your back several times a day (if thats even possible!!) decompresses your spine and gives it a "break" so to speak. Just thought i'd throw that in there :)
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input!
  • iooprcntme
    Options
    What are the most important things to track? They give you so many options, but which ones are the most important to stay within a certain range?

i track everything i eat and i add my water in there so then u no exactly whats going in ur body ...... good luck