Doing JUST cardio?

Options
I've been going to the gym doing the elliptical, stair machine, walking, zumba, etc. The weights are always taken and honestly, I have anxiety about going into that area. Since I have at least 60lbs to lose, its it okay to do JUST cardio starting out? I have 8lb weights at home I can use too, just wondering how important it is to my weight loss. I have been losing 2-4lbs a week so I'm doing well so far!

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It WILL come off quicker if you lift. Your call. The other option is to wait until you stall doing what you're doing and then add in strength training.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Lifting will help but if you're not comfortable doing it or you're not sure what to do then get some instruction. Forget the 8lb weights though, men AND women need to lift heavy weights to build any muscle.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It WILL come off quicker if you lift. Your call. The other option is to wait until you stall doing what you're doing and then add in strength training.

This is not a guarantee. Everyone's body make-up is different. As for the "masses", it hold true.

The key is, keep your body moving and eat right. The weight will come off. Remember that you don's have to use weights in order to "lift" find ways to use your own body weight. Push-up, squats, Stairs (as you already do). Go for a swim, if your gym has a pool. Swimming provides a wide range of physical activity, not just cardio.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm just doing cardio for my first month, then I'm adding Wii Active starting in Feb. I know some people will say that it's not enough weight using that, but I'm in baby step mode and there are teh resistance bands. I need to lose 50 lbs and I don't want to get hurt or burned out. March I start C25K and then I'll probably start doing heavier weights - or maybe just more and more resistance because I will be stronger all over.

How about the Nautilus equipment? Have you tried that yet? I'd start there before going to free weights.
  • krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby and wasn't allowed to lift anything. SO I'm not going to hurt myself with anything heavier until I get used to it, since my arms are pretttty weak right about now.

But yes, I guess I'll start incorporating it into my routine. My main concern is weight loss for now, which is why I've been burning around 800 cals a day with just cardio. I wish we had a swimming pool at the gym but we don't sadly =/
  • krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How about the Nautilus equipment? Have you tried that yet? I'd start there before going to free weights.
    [/quote]

Yeah I'd definitely start with the Nautilus equipment and maybe free weights at home for now. I guess I just gotta suck it up and spend more time at the gym! lol
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    overall training will help you lose inches and tone which is very important doesn't have to just be weights. Have you tried circuit training? Go to jillianmichaels.com/shred for a 30 day free trial. It is awesome.