Undereating

Options
Hi everyone,

This is just a topic I'm making to answer a question I have. Does anyone else have day's where they just aren't hungry and wont eat much? Even though they don't binge and normally stay on track with their diets?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What's your state of mind on days when you undereat? Are you thinking about food or do you forget about it? Do you feel disinterested in other things you usually enjoy? Do you feel sick at all? Not having a healthy appetite can be a symptom of some medical conditions, like depression, so if this happens regularly and you really don't know why you might want to see your doctor.
  • asmgrant
    Options
    Nope, its a normal day when I don't eat much, I go for walks, finish my school work nothing's different emotionally.
  • applekoko19
    applekoko19 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a high protein diet and under-eating happens all the time as I'm just not usually that hungry anymore... Not causing me any trouble yet :)
  • suprfast
    Options
    I would still try to eat something. The lack of calories will catch up to you in a few days and you will binge.
  • BassettZoeyHound
    Options
    I feel that way almost every day, hardly ever really hungry...until the moment hits and I am starving all of a sudden and that is when the "binge eating" happens.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have days like that, where I almost "forget to eat". I used to do it a lot and, frankly, I think it contributed to my weight gains. How to combat it? Not sure. Haven't had one in a while. I'm pretty habitual with my eating habits now. For me, energy levels aren't high enough for me to work out when I don't eat enough...and since I normally work out 6 days a week I need FUEL!
  • Mako4761
    Options
    I agree with applekoko19.... high protein diet just makes you not hungry. (this is also the case if you eat a high fiber diet or drink the amount of water you are actually supposed to drink) If you follow the Paleo philosophy at all, they say that you should only eat when you are actually hungry. Your body knows what it wants. I am under my calories almost every day but am not hungry and I don't feel weak or malnourished at all. If anything, I feel better that way.
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would still try to eat something. The lack of calories will catch up to you in a few days and you will binge.

This happened to me so many times..Now im eating my 1200-cal
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't have this issue. I eat all day long, even when I am sick (with the exception of serious pukes). On the rare occasion that I miss a meal I totally make up for it! I am one hungry girl.
  • asmgrant
    Options
    Thanks for your concern but i know from experience if I force myself to eat it'll make me puke, though my appetite does return in normal levels the next day or the day after.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Nvm, answered my question.
  • CLotfy
    CLotfy Posts: 31
    Options
    I have 19 month old twins and am constantly chasing after them. Some days I find myself not getting a chance to eat until lunch time. So my meal times are all over the place and the "hunger" feeling just kind of disappears. I don't worry too much about whether or not I hit my daily calorie goal...I just make sure that I eat when/if I can. I also do have a protein shake after workouts just to help cover whatever I'm missing from that day.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like eating all of my calories, I feel like eating more like 1000, that feels optimal, and I was pushing myself to eat less than that, then I plateaued. So now I'm forcing myself to eat more than I feel like eating so I can weigh less? Eh, I'll give it a try and see what happens. The worst that could happen is I slow it down for a while, right? :huh:
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I had one of those this morning; I woke up and just wasn't interested in breakfast. I was all for going somewhere (I got new cross trainers today so I'd stop wrecking my feet doing jumping jacks in walking shoes), but food.... just seemed too early to eat at 11am. I'm not on a high protein diet. However, I was in starvation mode (not by disorder, more like being intensely involved in whatever else to stop to eat) and have a habit of doing this, and I'm making myself eat through these periods.

Long story short; I don't think they're a sign of depression or really anything wrong, and I kind of think they're natural. Sometimes your body just doesn't need it at that moment. For people that are coming off starvation mode, though, I think it's important to eat through it.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have days like this sometimes. They're not regular, I usually just go with it - I eat plenty the rest of the time.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I agree with applekoko19.... high protein diet just makes you not hungry. (this is also the case if you eat a high fiber diet or drink the amount of water you are actually supposed to drink) If you follow the Paleo philosophy at all, they say that you should only eat when you are actually hungry. Your body knows what it wants. I am under my calories almost every day but am not hungry and I don't feel weak or malnourished at all. If anything, I feel better that way.

I have a question though, how low would you say too low is?
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I NEVER have these days. Bummer.
  • heidireut
    Options
    What if you keep that constant calorie deficit? I am not someone who eats very much, but I am told all the time by my husband to make sure that I am eating. Sometimes I will go all day with only 1 meal. I don't do this on purpose...it's just that I don't take time out to eat. I was doing that Bodybugg system before I started this and I would maintain a deficit of probably around 500 calories. Does this hurt in the long run? I have always skipped meals and am not a heavy eater. I have been like this as long as I can remember.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,039 Member
    Options
    Never! Not one day of my life. Is this really possible?
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    never