Disgusted by Spitter - Am I Wrong?

Options
Opinions needed people! There is a guy who works in the lab with me and he chews tobacco. he walks around and will lean over right next to you and let a huge glob of brown saliva drop nastily into the trash bucket or he'll carry around a cup. Now, I use to smoke and (no I am not saying that healthwise there is second hand "chew") and I know what it is like to need a nicotine fix. But does it have to be around me like that? If I could wait to not be around people, why can't this guy? Am I wrong? Would it be ok if I just walked around spitting? I don't think so. I'm so grossed out all the time!! Thoughts? Advice? Am I wrong?

Replies

• MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Can't you just ask him politely not to spit into the bucket beside you?
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    One time I had a bunch of friends over for a NYE party and found my cousin's bottle of spit under the couch a couple weeks later. I almost threw up on my couch. :sick:
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    It is just vile! I am definitely going to say something next time.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I dont know anyone who does this, I think it is one of the single most disgusting habits ever!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    One time I had a bunch of friends over for a NYE party and found my cousin's bottle of spit under the couch a couple weeks later. I almost threw up on my couch. :sick:

I just had a dry heave. I can handle some pretty horrible stuff, but that was NASTY.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    We have a few at work that do that. I am in my own office and my can is under the desk, so I don't have that problem; however, others have taped signs to their trash cans that say NO SPIT...it's ridiculous...it's totally disgusting!
  • Melk967
    Melk967 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I work at a lab as well (not sure if you work actually IN the lab or at a lab in an office area lol) and I thought it's pretty standard that you can't smoke, chew gum, eat, drink, apply cosmetics, etc in the lab? Is look into that because maybe you'd have an excuse to get him to stop :) I feel bad for you! Spitting makes me want to gag
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    thats absolutely disgusting.... he wouldn't be able to light up a smoke in the lab so why the heck can he chew and spit? seems non-hygienic
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I was at a friends house one time and he was always spitting in a Coke can. His buddy picked it up and took and big swig out of it thinking it was soda! He puked for like an hour and would start again every time you mentioned it to him!
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to never go to India or China. People spit, among other disgusting things, everywhere all of the time.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I work at a lab as well (not sure if you work actually IN the lab or at a lab in an office area lol) and I thought it's pretty standard that you can't smoke, chew gum, eat, drink, apply cosmetics, etc in the lab? Is look into that because maybe you'd have an excuse to get him to stop :) I feel bad for you! Spitting makes me want to gag

was gonna just say this! I get in trouble for carrying my waterbottle in the pathobiology lab, for good reason, but sometimes I just forget!

in anycase, my husband used to chew/dip and knows i dont like it, so he would avoid doing it around me - luckily no problem with that anymore. I personally wouldnt be as bothered if this guy carried a cup (with paper in it to absorb the splatter) and help it close up to his mouth to spit, rather than spitting in a can by someone

However
    1) I dont think i belongs in a workplace in general (if smokers cant smoke inside, he shouldnt be able to dip)
    2) its unsanitary, not only for you but the custodial workers who have to empty the trash bins....what if a bag leaks, eww

I'd try mentioning it to him if you feel comfortable, he may honestly not realize its offensive if its something his friends/ family do. Depending on your relationship or complaint requirements in your workplace, it also might be better to go through your supervisor so it gets properly documented and followed up on as well
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    That's disgusting and totally inappropriate in a professional setting.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Gross.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Wet lab or dry lab? The wet labs I work in, you can't even chew gum.

Dry lab, it's a tough call. I find it repulsive, but if you live in an area where this is the norm, then maybe something more portable is appropriate.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Oh, man ... I was totally ready to rant on you after reading only the subject line. I thought you were going to be upset with runners who spit while running ... something I've guilty of.

However, what you wrote is well ... flippin' disgusting. You are not wrong. It would make me cringe and a less efficient employee.

Yuck!!!

((((Shuddering))))
  • Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Arggh! That's horrible! I hate seeing people spitting! That is very inappropriate behavior!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I have a very low gag reflex and thats what happens went I'm around people who spit I start to dry heave a lot and just thinking about it makes me gag. My kids youd to do things to make me gag all the time when they were little a laugh and laugh at me This one made me gag while I was reading it.........................................................
    I was at a friends house one time and he was always spitting in a Coke can. His buddy picked it up and took and big swig out of it thinking it was soda! He puked for like an hour and would start again every time you mentioned it to him!
  • chrisc16
    Options
    I'm sure that spitting in an office trashcan is an industrial hygiene no-no. It's a health hazard, at least where I work - not allowed at all. I'm curious why a lab allows that?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Opinions needed people! There is a guy who works in the lab with me and he chews tobacco. he walks around and will lean over right next to you and let a huge glob of brown saliva drop nastily into the trash bucket or he'll carry around a cup. Now, I use to smoke and (no I am not saying that healthwise there is second hand "chew") and I know what it is like to need a nicotine fix. But does it have to be around me like that? If I could wait to not be around people, why can't this guy? Am I wrong? Would it be ok if I just walked around spitting? I don't think so. I'm so grossed out all the time!! Thoughts? Advice? Am I wrong?
    I have known these guys all my life, and it's an addiction like smoking.

I pity anybody who is a slave to some chemical.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would try one of the following methods:

1) Ask him politely if he would not do that around you as it makes you uncomfortable.

2) Every time he spits, shove one hand down your pants (front OR back, this is optional!) and move it somewhat vigorously. With your other hand, extend your index finger and press your left nostril closed. Tilt your head so that your right nostril is pointed towards your co-workers cup, and blow your nose as hard as you can. See if you can land the nose contents somewhere near his spit-cup. Hitting his hand is permissible too in this case. Good luck **

** Remember to remove your hand from your pants, at some point.