Im lactose intolerant!

Options
Gioooo
Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
I recently came to find my asthma becomes very severe when I eat any dairy products but I love yogurt and dark chocolate! Does anyone have any lactose free snack ideas to satisfy my sweet cravings? Or know where Incan find lactose free cheese,yogurt,chocolate?

Replies

• whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Two things... You can take a supplement called Lactaid for it which supposedly allows you to eat regular diary products. Secondly, you can buy lactose free products like Lactaid milk and yogurt. Silk almond milk is also lactose free and a bunch of others. Just tread the labels. I also eat 2% diary products and that seems to work best for me.
  • Gioooo
    Options
    Thankyou so much
  • Thulpa
    Thulpa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Most dark chocolate is dairy free, I have looked at over a hundred bars, and can say that for sure. If you are craving cheese, Daiya Cheese makes a great milk free substitute. I have used all of them, and I use them on cheeseless pizzas. Look for a health food store, if you want soy, coconut, rice or if you want a milk type, goat.

There are plenty of options out there, if you want specific dairy free candies or snacks, head over to veganessentials.com or foodfightgrocery.com
  • Thulpa
    Thulpa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Look for a health food store, if you want soy, coconut, rice or if you want a milk type, goat.

In reference to wanting Yoghurt
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Soy milk is good for that chocolate fix. Almond milk is good and if you have a health food store near by, you can try goat milk but I have been told its does not taste too good.
  • suprfast
    Options
    Lactose intolerant here also. Ive experimented with so many things over the years.

Suggestions would include a whey protein ISOLATE(no concentrates), yogurt(the active cultures make it lactose free, though its a little more scientific than that), lactaid milks(or almond, coconut, but nothing beats the taste of the real thing) which is just milk with the lactase enzyme added.
  • beatnikmel
    Options
    If you have a Kroger, you can buy Daiya dairy-free cheese. So Delicious has dairy-free yogurts and ice cream. Try to avoid products with soy in them, as they have hormones in them, but those 2 brands are great. I'm lactose intolerant as well, so I thought I could never have yogurt again (aside from taking pills) until I learned of So Delicious yogurts. Also, for milks I recommend vanilla almond milks or vanilla rice milks. There's also hemp milk and coconut milk. I hope that helps! (note: I didn't read any comments so sorry if I repeated anything!)
  • Gioooo
    Options
    Im excited about food shopping this week! Im going to look for some of this stuff!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I just got put on a dairy free, wheat free, egg free, citrus free diet for two weeks and I found Vanilla Flavoured Coconut-milk yogurt and it's pretty good, its kinda tangy on its own but I put berries in it and it was very good!
  • jacobsonmandy
    jacobsonmandy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant, and despite what people say...there's not enough lactaid on the planet that would let me have ice cream, milk or any of it. I get intense pain, the only thing I can have are low lactose cheeses like swiss and only get a stomach ache. I avoid dairy completely. However if you're not going my route of none at all I suggest: Cabbot cheeses are lactose free, check the back of labels of cheeses and check for lactose free. There's lactaid/soy/rice milk as well as ice creams. Personally I've gotten to the point that the thought of having dairy makes my skin scawl. But also bc yogurt has bacteria it is lactose free. It gets easier as you go, I've been lactose free for almost 10 years. Good luck ;)