New runner looking for winter clothing recs

Options
Hola, all! I know there are a LOT of runners in the MFP community, and I'm hoping that those of you who have run in colder climes can help a newbie out.

I just signed up for a sprint triathlon in June, and because I'm brand new to running, I want to start training immediately rather than waiting until Spring. The catch here is twofold: I live in Michigan, and I'm a cold weather wuss. Being native to this state did nothing to toughen me up for winter; when I go out on a typical January day when it's 20°F, I'm bundled up like Ralphie's little brother from 'A Christmas Story.' Okay, maybe not quite that bad -I've never actually run down the street with airplane arms- but it's enough that my co-workers like to tease me. Hey, I like to be warm! So of course I'm in a bit of quandary about what to wear to go out running.

Here are the factors I think might be important:
- outdoor temps will be anywhere from 15-30°F
- I like to be a bit warm outdoors, even when exercising; I really do perform better
- I sweat a *lot* when I work out
- I get ear aches very easily in the cold, so my ears will need to be covered in some way

The only article of clothing I know I'm good for right now is gloves. I think I'll need a hat of some type, but do I need a certain kind? By which I mean that I have plenty of ski caps, but should I be looking for something from a running store that is more "breathable"? I've read plenty about base layers and lots of layering, and this is nothing that I currently own. Are expensive moisture-wicking base layers really worth it (I'm especially thinking about being someone who sweats a lot when working out)? Given that I'm doing this on a budget, if I had to buy just one base layer right now, what should it be? Is there such a thing as winter running socks?

Okay, I think that's enough questions for now. LOL Thanks, everyone!

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Saucony has some great hats that have the ponytail hole, this allows them to fit more snug on your head. They are more comfortable too in my book.

In regards to general wear, I'll first say that I am a warm runner. I often wear less than most in cold conditions.

Example: Saturday was 10F with a windchill of 0F

I had on CWX tights (they cheaper version)
    Under armor compression top
    Sugoi (sp) pull over with the fleecy inside
    gloves
    Nike fleece hat

I generally will not go heavier than that. If it dips below -10 or so, I will wear the nike compression shorts under the tights and a secondary layer on top.
  • TidoWyla
    TidoWyla Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Do you have an under armour outlet store near you? I just got the cold gear compression top and pants for $29.99 a piece at the outlet store at Tanger Outlet Center near me.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm doing a run on the top of a mountain in Colorado in three weeks. I could use some advice too. :)
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    To piggy back the original posters question, I have concerns about running outside because I'm scared of slips and falls. I have newer running shoes with good traction, but I'm still a little scared. Any advice or experiences?
  • kimeister
    kimeister Posts: 212
    Options
    Saucony has some great hats that have the ponytail hole, this allows them to fit more snug on your head. They are more comfortable too in my book.

In regards to general wear, I'll first say that I am a warm runner. I often wear less than most in cold conditions.

Example: Saturday was 10F with a windchill of 0F

I had on CWX tights (they cheaper version)
    Under armor compression top
    Sugoi (sp) pull over with the fleecy inside
    gloves
    Nike fleece hat

I generally will not go heavier than that. If it dips below -10 or so, I will wear the nike compression shorts under the tights and a secondary layer on top.

Wow, I am seriously chilled just reading this! You really do run warm.

But it still gives me an idea of what I'll need. If this is what a warm runner wears in cold temps, I can step it up just a bit.
  • kimeister
    Options
    Do you have an under armour outlet store near you? I just got the cold gear compression top and pants for $29.99 a piece at the outlet store at Tanger Outlet Center near me.

Thanks to your post I googled and found one about 40 minutes from me. Excellent! Thanks for the suggestion.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i'm a cold weather wuss too, but i've found that the most difficult part is just simply getting out there. i live in indiana, so not too far from your neck of the woods. i don't think you need any specific type of headwear, just be sure those ears are covered up. i like my turtle fur ear wrap... a little like a thick headband, but a fleece stocking hat works great too. it sounds like you've got the gloves covered, so i won't dwell on that, but i like a pair of fingerless gloves that have a pocket you can flip up over the fingers and convert them to mittens. using these allows me to access the touch screen on my ipod without paying a fortune for special gloves. running tights are nice, but i don't have any so i just use any old workout style pants... for the colder days, a windbreaking type with a liner is nice, but i've never had to layer anything under that. on really cold days i wear a long sleeved tee (nothing special, just cotton) and a running jacket that will break the wind. my favorite running socks are nike, but you don't need special socks either. if you get down to single digits you may want a balaclava to cover your nose and mouth. too much skin exposure to those temps can be harmful, plus breathing in that frigid air is horrible on the lungs!

under armour is awesome... wish i had an outlet near me! :-)
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Love my SmartWool midweight zip-up shirt. Keeps me warm, keeps me dry.
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I Love to run in the cold!!!!:) I wear dri-fit by nike!!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Are expensive moisture-wicking base layers really worth it (I'm especially thinking about being someone who sweats a lot when working out)?

YES!!!!! So, so worth it. Speaking as a fellow disgustingly sweaty person (and fellow Michigander! Born and raised a yooper.)

There is such a thing as warm running socks though I have found I don't really need them, when your feet are swinging like pendulums you're getting enough blood flow to keep them warm- at least I am.

Everything else, start! See what you need as you go. You really don't need much fancy/expensive stuff except good shoes and at least one or two wicking base layers (seriously, you really, really need these). You're going to want to do laundry more often anyway to prevent perma-stink from setting in so you don't need a ton of base layers even if you're running often, just one or two. I really love my smart wool layers on super cold days and I would never run in the winter without tights (you can wear them under track pants or whatever if you don't want to be "that guy", but I personally always want to high five "that guy" when I see him out for having the cajones to rock the tights.) (**ETA why did I think you were a dude??? Sorry!!) Smart wool is very warm (even when wet and sweaty), light, and you can wash it normally but it is very spendy.

Have fun! Happy running!
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like the Nike pro combat shirts they fit tight and have thumb holes (love those), it's easy to layer an additional shirt if needed. I have a couple of pairs of tights and will wear on especially cold days. I think a vest is nice to layer, because your arms and legs tend to get warm once you get started but keeping your core warm is important.

I like smart wool socks. I am also a believer in the tech fabrics--even in winter, who wants to sweat and wear a frozen cotton shirt?

I have found clothing at Marshall's and TJ Maxx--you just have to go regularly and look. The C9 stuff at Target is not bad either.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love running in the cold. What I wear:

-Under Armour COLD GEAR Long sleeve top, bottoms,
    Underarmour gloves (I have two kinds: a thin one for mildly cold to cold and a thicker one with goretex material for extremely cold, frigid, and snowy days)
    +
    -Regular shorts no matter how cold (I can't run in long sweats or training pants)
    +
    -For cold days: light thin hoodie
    -For extremely cold days: long sleeve shirt or turtleneck + hoodie + beanie
    -For absolutely freezing butt, you must be absolutely out of your damn mind cold: I add a ski mask

I don't wear any special winter socks. I used to slip hand warmers into my gloves but it was actually quite annoying.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    To piggy back the original posters question, I have concerns about running outside because I'm scared of slips and falls. I have newer running shoes with good traction, but I'm still a little scared. Any advice or experiences?

yak traks! or screw your shoes: http://www.psychowyco.com/id26.html
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten some great advice. I'll echo the wool socks recommendations from others. Generally the lightweight or midweight Smartwools work well (though I have found their quality to be decreasing in recent years, so soon I'll be on the hunt for other brands). Layers are key. I am also in MI, sweat a lot, and don't like to be chilled while running. I'd rather have an extra layer to tie around my waist than to be chilly and stiff. Zippers are golden, too.

On my bottom half I generally wear either UA Frosty tights until it's maybe 25 or with a windchill, then I'm in my Sugoi Sub Zero tights. When it's snowy I do well in trail shoes...unless it's especially icy or the snow is loose, then YakTrax work well.

For gloves I can usually go with something very minimal (and often they're off after a mile or two, if I feel a little warm), unless it's pretty cold, then I have some somewhat heavier 2-layer gloves.
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's all about layering properly. 10-20F isn't really that cold in my books as I occasionally go out in sub zero F weather to run. For 10-20 I would wear a base layer top (like Smartwool) with a tank top under it and cold weather running tights. I'm lucky to have a high quality consignment store where I can find Nike, New Balance and Under Armour etc clothing at half the price that is in like new condition because I wear it out FAST. I usually bring a pair of thin technical fabric gloves (from MEC, similar to REI) and a thin hat or bandana to cover my ears. If its subzero I add replace the tank top with a long sleeved thermal, add a thin base layer under the tights, and bring a bandana for my face and neck. I wear Smart Wool tall socks when it's colder and short ones when it's not.

I pretty much move from when I leave the front door until when I get back and do my "cool down" indoors.
  • kimeister
    Options
    Are expensive moisture-wicking base layers really worth it (I'm especially thinking about being someone who sweats a lot when working out)?

YES!!!!! So, so worth it. Speaking as a fellow disgustingly sweaty person (and fellow Michigander! Born and raised a yooper.)

Fellow Mittengander, good to meet ya. Maybe it's something in the Michigan blood.

When I asked co-workers who are runners about the base layers, what I noticed was that the (very) casual runners said they weren't worth it, but the more serious runners said they were a must.
    There is such a thing as warm running socks though I have found I don't really need them, when your feet are swinging like pendulums you're getting enough blood flow to keep them warm- at least I am.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I'd rather not spend $$ on expensive socks I don't really need when I could put the cash into some of the base layers, which appear to be relatively pricey no matter the brand.
    Everything else, start! See what you need as you go. You really don't need much fancy/expensive stuff except good shoes and at least one or two wicking base layers (seriously, you really, really need these).

I think I'm going to splurge for some cold gear base layer running tights. As someone who does distance cycling and crossfit, it's the one piece I don't have anything that will fake-it-till-I-make-it. I'm sure I can come up with something I can layer on top.
    You're going to want to do laundry more often anyway to prevent perma-stink from setting in so you don't need a ton of base layers even if you're running often, just one or two. I really love my smart wool layers on super cold days and I would never run in the winter without tights (you can wear them under track pants or whatever if you don't want to be "that guy", but I personally always want to high five "that guy" when I see him out for having the cajones to rock the tights.)

Yeah, I see runners in shorts in the winter all the time. I don't think that's going to be me but I suppose I need to get out there to find my own comfort zone.
    (**ETA why did I think you were a dude??? Sorry!!)

No problem! Probably because my userpic is myself doing downhill mountain biking, not a sport where one finds many middle-aged women, to be sure.
    Have fun! Happy running!

Thanks! And thank you for taking the time to give such a lengthy and thoughtful reply. I really appreciate it.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    i've purchased some of those WARMING socks before and found them to be underwhelming. not worth the extra dough imho

2 running buds of mine had some good ideas

1) when running in cold/windy conditions, take duct tape an put over the toes your shoes to block the wind
    2) over your socks, put thin plastic bags on, clip off extra (this would not work for me as I sweat too much)
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I did the "Frozen Buns 5K" this past Saturday.
    Was 21 degrees at start time and about 15-20mph winds.
    Check out the photos for what people were wearing and ideas.
    http://tykanoya.smugmug.com/Sports/Frozen-Buns/FB-2012/21039639_22fNVV#!i=1672827465&k=jGpDvtz

I personally was wearing Nike Combat Compression Leggings covered by Nike insulated wind pants.
    On top, I wore a Compression shirt, Dri Fit Mock Turtleneck and a Hoodie.
    My head I had a Earmuff headband and Skull Cap (my pictures start at 1124 on the above).
    I also wore warm gloves and a gaiter.
    I had to take the gaiter down and unzip my hoodie about half way through, which is why I like a zip up outer, to adjust temp.

Start of my pics, if you care.
    http://tykanoya.smugmug.com/Sports/Frozen-Buns/FB-2012/21039639_22fNVV#!i=1673786835&k=MWgN4Gk
  • JamesOliver22
    Options
    You can wear shorts and a simple warm T-shirt and hoodies also. You can also choose a hoodie overcoat in winter season..

http://www.thecustomclothing.com/men/overcoats/gray_overcoat_with_hood/833