measuring pasta

Options
Perhaps this is a dumb question, but the nutrition info on my pasta box gives no indication of whether measurements are cooked or dry.... 1 cup of dry pasta has much more noodles than one cup of cooked.... seems like a big difference. I've been measuring it cooked. Is that right? Thanks!

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i always weigh mine, dry and then cook it...but it says on the package that its the uncooked weight.
    generally 1 cup cooked is a serving, so if thats what youve been doing - keep it up :)
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would assume cups is cooked. It's hard to get spaghetti in a cup measure dry.

Dry pasta would have very low moisture and fat, and would be approximately 4 calories a gram, as that is what the calorie value for both carbohydrates and protein is. Cooked pasta would be much heavier from water, so the calories would be much less than 4 times the grams.
  • redbettie13
    Options
    a serving is 1 cup cooked.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    i know spaggetti is 2 oz per serving....so i just weigh it on my food scale
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I just had this happen tonight, so I hope I can help.

Pasta was made tonight (not by me) with 1/3 the box (6 servings per box), at 2 oz per serving, so 4 oz in the pot. The calories were listed by the 2 oz serving.

According to the cups on my counter, 2 oz of dry (what was left after the other person ate first) was about 2.5 cups of cooked. So for the oz measurement on MFP (my pasta was listed by the oz on here), I put a half serving.

Hope that helps!

*Edit* This was for spaghetti noodles if it matters or confuses anyone.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I measure mine dry. I got me a 3.00 spaghetti tool to measure spaghetti off amazon. Elbow, ziti, penne, spiral, etc I just use a measuring cup.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Apparently half a cup dry is equal to a cup cooked. Half a cup of spirals weighed 25 grams (which I could find and enter from the data base), it's calorie number was pretty similar to what I was getting from the '1 cup' measure in the data base so I'm going with that now.

25 grams of pasta = 1 cup cooked = half a cup dry.
  • alison422
    Options
    I like to take the box and divide it (since I don't have a scale). For instance my whole wheat pasta says it is 6 servings in a box. I want to eat 1 serving so I divide the box in half and then divide that half into 3 equal parts just using my eyes and hands to measure. It works pretty well for me. A serving of pasta is much more than I thought it would be!
  • mrskesler
    mrskesler Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I always weigh mine dry and then cook it. More accurate IMO.