low carb diets & Fruit?

Options

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    On South Beach no fruit for the first 2 weeks, after that low sugar fruit is ok in moderation, but no watermelon or pineapple. Too much fruit can cause fluctuations in blood sugar that can lead to hunger and cravings.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    "no one ever got fat eating too many grapes" - some smart person

Umm, yes you can gain weight eating too much fruit. Whomever said this is totally inaccurate. Unstable insulin in the blood stream is not healthy and can and does lead to weight fluctuations.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    The two trainers that I talked to about this told me that Carbs including fruit turn into sugar and the goal is to keep sugar out of your bloodstream to train the body to use it's fat stores as energy, and that excess sugar in your body will turn into fat. I've followed this for a while now, and have lost 52 lbs, but I want fruit. I'm scared to start eating fruit as I still have 30 lbs to lose. Thanks for your reply's. Banana's are my absolute favorite fruit, but I know those are the worst as far as fruit go. Maybe I will just treat myself to one apple a day and see if that helps this craving without causing me to gain weight.

I know a lot of people that have had Registered Dieticians, Doctors and other professionals to tell them to leave the fruit out or very limited until 90% of weight loss is achieved and then slowly start introducing fruits and see how your body reacts to each one individually.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Berries are lower in carbs! If you want fruit add one serving in for a couple weeks then add two and etc... If you add in a bunch of fruit all at once the sugar will affect your weightloss on low carb. In south beach you gradually add in the whole grains and fruit. If I were you I would eat some fruit. Listen to your body, you might be defencient in a vitamin or mineral that fruit has.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    "no one ever got fat eating too many grapes" - some smart person

Umm, yes you can gain weight eating too much fruit. Whomever said this is totally inaccurate. Unstable insulin in the blood stream is not healthy and can and does lead to weight fluctuations.

insulinfairycopyfinal.jpg

Not saying you can't get put on weight from eating only fruit as any calorie intake above maintenance will do this. Think of the physical volume of fruit you would require to put on weight being that the avg woman's maintenance cals is around 1800 & guys higher than this.
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I did a low carb diet before and it involved zero to minimal fruit. It did not work out for me in the long term because I love fruit. I personally believe that fruit is healthy and I currently include it in my diet (which is not low carb, but a lot more balanced, and making me a lot more happy).
  • _Kate_P
    _Kate_P Posts: 132
    Options
    basically what everyone already said. the point of low carb is to cut out processed carbs like breads, pasta, rice, crackers etc. and to get your carbs from whole sources, like fruits and veggies
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    There's a difference if you're just limiting the carbs you're having or if you're restricting carbs to be in ketosis (as other's have posted) you generally have to avoid fruits.

You can enjoy berries: the darker the better. :)
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    The point of low carb is to get "bad" sugar out of your body then eating healthy sugar in moderation. If you read Atkins you gradually add whole grains and fruit. If you read South Beach, the same thing at a quicker rate.
  • melissainez85
    Options
    im on atkins most berries (strawberries are the lowest in cabrs in the berry family) all servings are a 1/4 cup are between 2-4 carbs, blueberries, raspberries ect, and melon is decent also hope this helps
  • bigfrank2
    Options
    My nutricianist and trainer competes and has won National Bodybuilding events. He has me eating clean no processed carbs etc. His advice is if you are going to eat fruit pair it with a source of protien. For example, I eat a banana and a tablespoon of Natural Peanut Butter. By eating the protein with the fruit the you slow the digestive process and the sugar from the fruit is less likely to affect your insulin level negatively. Also eating 5-6 meals a day including a protein source at every meal will allow the body to change the way it stores nutrients for energy.
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Why are so many people with zero knowledge in low carb diets giving advice? First and for most blueberries are very high in carbs compared to other fruits. If you want to eat fruit you can but it must be limited and counted like any other carb. Get some keto stix and see how much fruit it will take to knock you out of ketosis then work with that.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack is mixed frozen berries and plain greek yogurt. Yum!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Why are so many people with zero knowledge in low carb diets giving advice? First and for most blueberries are very high in carbs compared to other fruits. If you want to eat fruit you can but it must be limited and counted like any other carb. Get some keto stix and see how much fruit it will take to knock you out of ketosis then work with that.

And what would happen if you got knocked out of ketosis, would fat loss stall or slow down, assuming you had an identical caloric deficit?
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Why are so many people with zero knowledge in low carb diets giving advice? First and for most blueberries are very high in carbs compared to other fruits. If you want to eat fruit you can but it must be limitend and counted like any other carb. Get some keto stix and see how much fruit it will take to knock you out of ketosis then work with that.
    I soooooooo agree, you cannot go on a "low carb" diet and have carbs, fruit included. I am low carbing right now and love it, no fruit and very little sugar
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The two trainers that I talked to about this told me that Carbs including fruit turn into sugar and the goal is to keep sugar out of your bloodstream to train the body to use it's fat stores as energy, and that excess sugar in your body will turn into fat. I've followed this for a while now, and have lost 52 lbs, but I want fruit. I'm scared to start eating fruit as I still have 30 lbs to lose. Thanks for your reply's. Banana's are my absolute favorite fruit, but I know those are the worst as far as fruit go. Maybe I will just treat myself to one apple a day and see if that helps this craving without causing me to gain weight.

Just eat reasonable amounts of fruit with your meals that already have good protein and fat in them, just eat them afterwords so you don't spike your insulin, which is what you are trying to avoid.
    Things like either watermelon that are mainly water, or berries as suggested that don't hit the bloodstream as fast.
    Green peppers are fruit too, how some of that!

The principles of what you are trying to do can indeed work, and very well for many, but the reasons given by the trainers are a little dated as to why.
  • misslizz6958
    Options

And what would happen if you got knocked out of ketosis, would fat loss stall or slow down, assuming you had an identical caloric deficit?
    It might slow down, does for me. The biggest reason not to is because it's so god damn hard to get into ketosis that falling out is a huge pain in *kitten*. Not worth it in my mind. As Americans we live off carbs, and to successfully rid yourself of them is a huge feat in my mind. Why mess with gold?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Curious, for your exercise, do the trainers also make sure you stay in your fat-burning zone?

This actually is a valid training method for low carb diets, because you could easily use up your stored glucose, and never eat enough carbs to replenish them.

Which means the ONLY place to get glucose to burn with the fat, is break down muscle for the amino acids. Now you can burn the fat.

But if you stay at a very low intensity, at least in theory, the carbs you eat can supply your energy needs. No weight lifting!
  • misslizz6958
    Options
    Why are so many people with zero knowledge in low carb diets giving advice? First and for most blueberries are very high in carbs compared to other fruits. If you want to eat fruit you can but it must be limitend and counted like any other carb. Get some keto stix and see how much fruit it will take to knock you out of ketosis then work with that.
    I soooooooo agree, you cannot go on a "low carb" diet and have carbs, fruit included. I am low carbing right now and love it, no fruit and very little sugar
    I too am in love. I'm losing weight, getting toned from my workouts like none other. I'm never hungry AND my crohns disease is none existent. I'll be low carb forever
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you don't like what you're eating, it seems like it's not the diet for you. Not everyone has to do things the same way. You have to chose a method you are willing to stick with long term.