I was doing so well then....

Options
I stopped! I stopped everything....counting calories, logging food, visiting the forum, AND exercising. It started as a temporary break for a special event. Then extended to a week long break in which I ate WHATEVER I wanted. Scared to look at the scale the following week, the break was further extended. Now, here I am, 3 months later. I've regained most of what I lost.

It never ceases to amaze me how I can feel in complete control of this one day, and then the next...I let it all slip. I'm not saying this to be hard on myself. I"m just trying to slap myself back into reality and get back on the ball.

Sometimes I feel like I need a therapist more than a diet! Anyways, I'm back and recommitting. Wish me luck. =)

Replies

• skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I try soooooo hard to stay on top of it. I've been out of school and without a job since May 1st and on my butt doing nothing. Not to mention on the weekend my fiance and I just go, go, go and are never home so it's a lot of eating out on the weekends and definitely not exercising. I finally started a full time job today so I hope it helps to get me back on track and stay on it!

Good Luck!
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I think most of us have been in that place! Your back, thats all that matters.
  • onfleur
    onfleur Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You are so NOT alone in this. I have struggled time and time again and also do not understand how easy it is to slip and find yourself in total chaos. Thank heaves though we get back on track. Be strong and visit the site often. Were here to support each other.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • mutkin
    mutkin Posts: 109
    Options
    Thanks for all your support!!
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've been in exactly the same boat you are...you are definately not alone! I lost about 30 pounds in high school and then took a year off after graduation and gained 14 back. I just stopped working out...for no reason really. And I couldn't blame the freshman 15 because I wasn't even in school! :tongue:
    I continued to gain weight throughout college (about 27 pounds total). I graduated a year ago and last fall finally decided I was tired of being overweight! So it's been 4 years since I decided to start doing something about it. It's NEVER too late to start over and start being a healthier you!

Last week was not great for me...I didn't workout all week and didn't watch what I ate. I was dreading the scale this morning...but I got back on track today!

You can do this!!! Tell yourself that you're worth it everyday!!! :happy:
    This site is a great tool to help you! It's fun to log your progress and the people are so encouraging and help keep you motivated!

One thing that helps me - I set mini goals for myself. I do 10-pound by 10-pound goals. So my first mini-goal was to lose 10 pounds...and once reached that goal, my next one was to lose another 10-pounds. And before I knew it, I'd lost 30 pounds! I'm going to keep on doing this until I reach my big weight-loss goal. Mini goals seem so much more attainable than huge ones! :smile:

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have said it better Pink Shoes. You are back and that all that matters. We all take breaks, but we never quit.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Your last statement isn't really that far off. Personally I feel a lot of the issues people have with food are more mental than physical. What I mean is that we become addicts to food. It tastes good and we feel good after eating it. We have also trained ourselves not to see what an actual portion size is or how much food we need to truly be full. It is not an easy road and there are many days where I would love to eat tons of junk because of stress in my life. I tell myself that it just isn't worth it. It won't make me feel any better. Also, when I do treat myself to a night out, I enjoy myself and the next day make sure that that was just one day. It can be easy to break a good habit with a former bad one and try to justify it. It eventually catches up with you one way or another.

Good luck.
  • Jeepluvr99
    Jeepluvr99 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm with you, sister! This last week I have REALLY slid off that slippery slope, too...(sigh). No exercise and didn't count calories and didn't watch what I was shoving into my face. Working different days of the week (12 hour day shifts) every week is havoc on any routine I try.
    BUT.....
    I have also recommited, I didn't count my calories today, but I did eat "pretty" healthy: Chex mix, no added sugar and skim milk for breakfast, Iced tea and water all day, Tilapia fillets and broccoli for dinner. I snuck a few doritoes at lunch w/my kids, but didn't have time to eat anything else so I suppose it doesn't matter! I was cleaning out my kitchen cupboards!

Tomorrow, after this severe thunderstorm we are in here, I am going to up my walk to 3 miles. I semi jog so I'll be tired. The moral of the story is to understand the mistake you made and pick up and start again...that's what's important.

Good luck and keep it up, you'll be back to where you were in no time...remember, it takes only 18 days to get into a routine. Once there you'll miss it if you don't do it regularly...that's a great mental tip!
  • mutkin
    Options
    Ha! I had the EXACT same dinner. Tilapia and broccoli. Two of my favorite things....just cut out the starch tonight that I would normally have.
  • newDZ
    newDZ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    But you're back and that's what count. I don't know if you saw Disney's THE LION KING but the old monkey Rifikki hits Simba on the head with his stick and Simba immediately asked "Why did you do that?" and Rifikki replied "What does it matter, it's in the past."

We just have to keep moving on. And you knew exactly where to come for support, tools and and motivation.

Eventhough I didn't know you when you first did this, I'm glad to know you now.

All the best,
    Di
  • mutkin
    Options
    newDZ...I just looked at your photos. You're doing great! Thanks for the inspiration and for a laugh (remembering that scene from the lion king).