H20 SOS

Options
I need help... having trouble drinking enough water. This doesn't come naturally. Please give me ideas on how to do it and motivation for why to do it.

Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am not fond of water either. I carry a big glass of water with Mio in it wherever I go. I sip all day long it helps me get my water in over a longer time. And as for why you should drink it...well, it helps you lose weight...that's the only reason I drink it. I would much rather have a super sized Dr Pepper, but I refuse to be fat any longer!!
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    I used to be a water hater and pepsi lover. I did not like the taste of it and rarely drank it. Then finally when I desperately wanted to lose weight I stopped drinking pepsi and replaced it with water even though I hated it. It took a few months but now I am used to it and even crave it sometimes. So far I have lost 35lbs and could not have done it without water.

Motivation could be to lose weight. Water helps keep you hydrated which is important in many processes including helping skin go back with weight loss. It also helps reduce water retention from sodium. It is hard for the body to differentiate between thirst and hunger so when you may think you are hungry in reality you may just be thirsty. Drinking water keeps you hydrated and keeps you away from other high calorie drinks.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Are you not thirsty at all? Do you just not like the taste of your water?

If you don't like your tap water get a filter. I like the Culligan FM-15A as a cheap but good faucet filter. Good Reverse Osmosis water is even better. Not a fan of distilled water, flavored bottled waters, or PUR or Brita filters.

You can also always put a thin piece of lemon, lime, or orange in your water. Do you dislike mineral water?
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    Get a container big enough to hold all the water you want to drink in a day (i got a 64 oz container but i drink extra too sometimes) and make sure you finish it by the end of the day. Remind yourself to take a couple swigs every once in a while so its distributed throughout the day.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a 3 pack of Mio at Sam's Club and I'm almost out... it's definitely helped me increase my water intake. I haven't had pop in a couple weeks and I'm not even really craving it... I just drink some flavored water.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you're not a fan of water, try green tea or herbal tea (not from a bottle, make it with a tea bag or, better still, real herbs).
    Or include lots of liquid in your diet - soups etc, this can help keep you hydrated too.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    HI!

I advise you to relax and research! The whole water..... (drink 8 cups a day thing) came from the 1940's after a US health agency recommended 1 ml per 1 calorie that you eat. Well, then it just snowballed into - most folks (sure, right) eat 2000 cals per day so we all need 8 cups a day. AHHHHH ;-/

no one questions this!?

What was left out of the whole thing was that WATER is in FOOD and you don't need to stress about getting extra cups of water....

Go by your thirst....if you are thirsty then drink.....

btw, coffee, tea, etc., count. The whole thing about dehyrating drinks is bogus (unless gallons of it are consumed) and actually drinking cups and cups of water not only dilutes stomach acids which we need to digest foods BUT they deplete the bodies natural electrolyte balance.

Do your own research and find the facts.....MFP is great but usues conventional wisdom....not always correct!!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I could and do go the whole day and drink one glass of water. It seems as I get older
    the more I really do not like it. I do not drink pop of any kind ~ so that is not a problem. I agree with what others have said, that water does fill you up and I would lose more weight if I drank more water.

Several people mentioned Mio. What is that? I have never heard of that before?

~Marcy
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i cant drink water... i drink herbal tea... lots and lots of it.... its better then water... and like hardly any calories....

i just am not into water.... uggggg
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options

Marcy,
    Mio is a water enhancer (flavoring) in liquid form. It comes in a little egg shaped squeeze bottle. 1 bottle says its enough for 24 servings (but if you use less then obviously you'll get more servings out of it). Its located with the crystal light and kool aid at my Kroger. Its kinda pricey here (about $4 for one bottle)... I got a 3 pack at Sam's club for a little less than $9. I really like the Strawberry Watermelon flavor. It mixes really well and doesn't haven't a powdery taste since its liquid.

Hope that helps.
    Trina
  • rebeccafinley
    Options
    I've heard that it's good to drink half your weight in Ounces, and if you workout, add 32 oz to replenish the water your body lost exercising. Benefits of drinking water are: it flushes out waste and toxins, increases energy, decreases headaches, helps to reduce wrinkles and acne, and it also decreases chances for urinary track infections and kidney stones. These are just some things that my nature path has told me, and it seems to work for her and her patients. Also, what helps her drink enough water is drinking out of a quart mason jar. She figures out how many she needs to drink, and makes sure that she drinks that number each day. For me, I just get a 20 oz glass from the cabinet and make sure that I drink 8 of them.
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Something I used to do at work when trying to get used to drinking so much water... I would get a little cup, 8-10oz and tried to make sure I finished it every hour or so and then refilling it at the next hour... It works for me to not have to see a HUGE glass/bottle of water to down...
  • Weezieishness
    Weezieishness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of water too. Try putting a slice of lemon or orange with it, that'll definitely make it taste nicer.Also, keep a jug of water in the fridge and drink it with ice. I find iced water easier to drink than cool tap water, because it tastes less like that tap water taste.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm the same - most days I drink no water at all.
    I really don't understand why it's so difficult when it's something we're being told to have more of - if they said have 8 blocks of chocolate a day I'm sure I wouldn't be on here saying "I'm really struggling to reach my chocolate intake goal" :laugh:
    Why the heck is it so darn impossible?
    Lets try harder. Cheers! :drinker:
  • garayt
    garayt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Personally I hate to drink water. I just don't like the way it tastes. In the last 2 days I think I have drank maybe 1 16 oz. bottle of water and that's it. I'm going to try the flavor packets (Crystal Light, Hawaiian Punch, etc,) starting tomorrow. They taste pretty good and don't cost much.
    As for motivation, drinking water is supposed to give you more energy, doesn't take anything away from your daily calorie goal, helps you to feel fuller so less snacking (hopefully) and it helps to hydrate your skin so it looks healthier.
    You could also reward yourself if you meet your water goal for the week. If you want to drink 8 glasses a day then at the end of the week (or however long you want) you check back and if you did it then reward yourself with a piece of chocolate, a night out, a soda...whatever as long as its in moderation.
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I add lemon to my water, but remember also that water comes in other forms too... but a large container for the day is good... I tend to drink 2 32 oz bottles a day plus that which is in food and the like.... some days I drink more... but without the lemon, I barely can get through 8 oz
  • garayt
    garayt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    if they said have 8 blocks of chocolate a day I'm sure I wouldn't be on here saying "I'm really struggling to reach my chocolate intake goal" :laugh:

Nope those words would definitely never come out of my mouth! Why don't they make a flavor packet for water that tastes exactly like chocolate without the calories or fat of chocolate. Sounds kinda of nasty but I wouldn't care as long as I could take a drink, close my eyes, and pretend it was a Twix or KitKat :smile:
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options

Marcy,
    Mio is a water enhancer (flavoring) in liquid form. It comes in a little egg shaped squeeze bottle. 1 bottle says its enough for 24 servings (but if you use less then obviously you'll get more servings out of it). Its located with the crystal light and kool aid at my Kroger. Its kinda pricey here (about $4 for one bottle)... I got a 3 pack at Sam's club for a little less than $9. I really like the Strawberry Watermelon flavor. It mixes really well and doesn't haven't a powdery taste since its liquid.

Hope that helps.
    Trina

Thanks Trina,
    That really does help. I will be looking for it when I go shopping. :smile:

~Marcy
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You don't need to force water if your not thirsty... seriously
  • firefly101
    Options
    Thanks for explaining the 'Mio' thing... kindof thought it might be something like this. I'll try it... and some of the other suggestions... gotta get that water down according to so many. Even 6 glasses would be an improvement... just not natural for me, I gues.