Diet Alcohol

Options
What does everybody drink (alcoholically) to not ruin their daily calorie goal. Being a college student who has a social group almost entirely made up of not dieting people, it's been a real struggle at times to get to "participate in the fun" without blowing my diet wide open.

I've found that it's mostly mixers that add a ton of the calories, so I usually try to just drink liquor with diet soda, usually rum or whiskey with coke zero or diet root beer. I've found that that is the most calorie efficient way to get drunk. Light beer doesn't really work for me because 1. They have less alcohol than normal beer so I end up drinking more of them to get the same effect. 2. The REALLY light beers are too expensive and 3. They all taste terrible.

What are some of your "diet" alcoholic drinks?

Replies

• LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I switched to wine. I have a glass or two of red wine most nights. Usually on Saturday nights, DH and I go out for wings, pizza and beer.

If you are only partying one night a week, I wouldn't worry much about the caloric intake. It's one night. If the other days/nights you are doing what you are supposed to be doing, one night a week won't ruin your healthy lifestyle.
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've actually been having the same thoughts lately. Hope more people post on this topic so we can get some suggestions!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I drink Guinness. Regularly. 12 ounces, 125 calories...I love the taste and a quality dark beer fills me up. If I were drinking MGD or some crap lite beer (sorry if you're a fan, I'm opinionated about beer!) I'd pound down a 12 pack and never feel satisfied.
  • Jljones2787
    Options
    This may sound weird, but vodka with club soda, a spalsh of lemon juice and some Splenda is pretty tasty. Otherwise, like you said, just diet soda mixed with liquor. Also, Ocean Spray has a diet cranberry that's 5 calories for a cup. Cheers! :-)
  • robertthesnail
    Options
    When I do drink beer it's usually PBR. I'll usually have 8 to 10 drinks on a night with the guys though, so the difference between 1440 calories for 10 cans of PBR or 960 calories for 10 shots of whiskey (mixed with coke zero or something) is really pretty significant.

One really good mixer I have found is Meijer brand diet cranberry soda. It doesn't seem to have as much of a diet-ish aftertaste, and the sourness is good for masking alcohol flavor. If you don't have Meijer where you live I bet you could probably find a different offbrand cranberry diet soda. I usually mix that one with vodka.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Try this.
    Drink club soda, and act crazy sober.
    Fake it.
    It's fun.

At the end of the day you just need to decide what's important: your health and fitness goals or drinking booze with friends.
  • robertthesnail
    Options
    This may sound weird, but vodka with club soda, a spalsh of lemon juice and some Splenda is pretty tasty. Otherwise, like you said, just diet soda mixed with liquor. Also, Ocean Spray has a diet cranberry that's 5 calories for a cup. Cheers! :-)

I didn't know ocean spray had 5 calorie per cup diet cranberry. I drink diet cranberry juice that is like 40 calories a cup, but I'll definitely check that out.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Stick with anything clear!! :)
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    you're right... drinking and dieting is hard.. Other than portion control, I've switched from sugary sweet fruity cocktails.

Ive switched to jack and diet or gin and ginger ale, but I nurse them. The slower I drink, the less I drink. It saves me $$ and calories.
  • cina22
    cina22 Posts: 2
    Options
    my friends told me to drink wine with soda water or vodka with no sugar mineral water with a dash of lemon or lime....... this is the bit that i am finding the hardest too however i do enjoy beer but am limitting myself to only one, i think if ur going out once a week it wont hurt so long as u make up for it in the next few days
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'll have a few glasses of wine at night.
    Sutter Home White Zinfandel comes up
    on MFP, and it really only has eight carbs,
    and about 100 calories. I still don't reach
    my carb, or calorie goal. :drinker:
  • lisapr123
    Options
  • lisapr123
    Options
    Try this.
    Drink club soda, and act crazy sober.
    Fake it.
    It's fun.

At the end of the day you just need to decide what's important: your health and fitness goals or drinking booze with friends.

You crack me up. In a good way. I like the way you tell it to us straight! (Though I do value a drink or two a week, so I make room for it.)
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    vokda and soda fresh lime

martinis
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    stick to shots.... saves on the sugar mixes lol
  • spiritedpixie
    Options
    I drink mabye once a week, and im trying to cut down so I can aid my weight loss. I now think that as much as spirits and diet sodas are less calories and more variety, they are gassy, expensive, and dnt last as lomg . I know wine and beer have much kore calories, but where id take 4 or 5 malibu n diet coke , I only take 2 or 3 glasses of wine, that I can nurse over an hour at a time lol. Its also much stronger than beer and less gassy. I recommend developing a pallette for it. Theres also weightwatchers wines, though for me, they are far to sweet! ( medium dry all the way!). If you really must drink loads, a bottle of wine at most bars will last u the whole night and is usually under a tenner. Spend less, drink less :-D
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I love a glass of wine in the morning after work (or a trip to the local bar with coworkers after an especially hard night) but I have difficulty sticking to one 5 oz glass... (how is 5oz a GLASS of wine?!) I haven't had alcohol since NYE (and then it was a wee bit too much tequila) since I've been trying to lose some extra weight. But I've been having "extra" calories left over after my workouts. (Yesterday, for example I only netted almost 800 cal, but I ate a little over 1500) So maybe it wouldn't be too terrible for me to indulge every now and then and have a drink after work. *A* drink. ;-)
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    When I do drink beer it's usually PBR. I'll usually have 8 to 10 drinks on a night with the guys though, so the difference between 1440 calories for 10 cans of PBR or 960 calories for 10 shots of whiskey (mixed with coke zero or something) is really pretty significant.

2hrs of excercise is approx -1440 calories... jus sayin'
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

2hrs of excercise is approx -1440 calories... jus sayin'
    Maybe for you it is. When I exercise for <3hr I burn ~900 calories. Not everyone burns the same.

Back on topic. I drink vodka with whatever diet soda is available. 70 calories a glass. And since I'm such a lightweight now, only 2 drinks does it for me.
  • ArchangelaJ
    Options
    A friend of mine in roller derby with me turned me on to club soda & flavored vodka, such as 3 Olives Cherry. It's yummy and doesn't kill your diet.