Sugar???

Options
I really don't get the daily sugar allowance that you get on this site, it's REALLY low...

Is it right and should I be trying to find foods that have less sugar in?

THANKS

Replies

• TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely!! You should definitely try and lower your sugar intake. It may be hard, but its doable :-) x
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Open your diary, what are you eating?
  • alvina0607
    Options
    I know it's really low... 2 fruits a day and I'm almost over.
  • tasnim81
    tasnim81 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't use sugar in my coffee and don't eat sweets.. but with the 1-2 fruits a day I eat, I'm over my daily intake. Don't understand that either.. :huh:
  • WannabeSexyBexy
    Options
    Open your diary, what are you eating?
    Diary now open. Today for example, I've planned what I know I will eat/drink and I'm already over. I don't think I could cut out sweeteners or juice, but they are quite bad :(
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    The sugar allowance is very low, but whether you should be concerned or not really depends on where you're getting your sugars from. If it's from fruit, I'd worry less about it than if it's from processed foods. I'm frequently over, simply because of my fruit intake.

Looking at today's diary, a lot of those sugars are coming from artificial sweeteners (including the yoghurt), which are not good for you anyway. Maybe look at reducing this sort of 'sugar' gradually (the tablets), or replacing it with better, more natural alternatives - plain yoghurt with fresh berries, for example. The cordial is also very high in sugars, in relation to its' nutritional benefit - try diluting it further, or finding an alternative. The cheerios are also quite high - a more whole-grain cereal, maybe a muesli, will still be high in sugar, but will give you more nutritional benefit.
  • WannabeSexyBexy
    Options
    Right then, operation reduce sugar starts now. amending diary as we speak...
  • Finneyfaery
    Options
    I read a very inspirational ebook. "I quit sugar" by Sarah wilson. I never thought it could be possible...I know for a fact that I will have sugar again, but this book trained me to get over cravings for junk, sugar, carbs..you name it. I've been able to keep my carbs low, and my sugar to under 5g a day or so. Some days only 1-2 if that. I am a sugar addict. It's addicting like anything else. I don't desire anything at all. Been sugar free for going on 2 weeks now. Including added sugar, fruit sugars and sweeteners. I only use stevia. Fruit may be good for us, but sugar is sugar. The body knows no difference. Check out the book. It's worth a look over. I have type 1 diabetes, so I am always looking for ways around things... I've lost nearly 100 pounds on my own so far, and would like to lose another 30, but it's really hard when you have to take insulin. If anyone knows about type 1 diabetes and how to lose weight, let me know.. It's a mystery. But I keep going because I long to feel good and set a good example. Best of luck. Remember, fat isn't the enemy, SUGAR is the enemy. You can lead a perfectly normal existence without it. As much as possible. There are loads of recipes out there and they are satisfying. I am so into this, it's not even funny :)
  • Finneyfaery
    Options
    Also, bananas are extreme in sugar. Berries are lowest. Blackberries are the perfect low sugar snack. Add a little light whipped cream, or my favorite, homemade whipped cream, completely sugar free, and you have a nice little dessert.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I will be interested to see the answers you get. I have read a lot of posts on here recommending that people reduce their fruit intake so as to reduce dietary sugar, which sounds bizarre to me. Maybe, if you lived on mangoes...
  • castadiva
    Options
    I will be interested to see the answers you get. I have read a lot of posts on here recommending that people reduce their fruit intake so as to reduce dietary sugar, which sounds bizarre to me. Maybe, if you lived on mangoes...

I wish I did! That would be delicious!
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Mmmmangoes...

Christmas in Brisbane means mangoes...
  • castadiva
    Options
    Mmmmangoes...

Christmas in Brisbane means mangoes...

Jealous :grumble:
  • emergencytennis
    Options

Is that an ad for a shonky diet product? Hahaha!
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Sorry, scratch that last. I would like some informed opinion about dietary sugar.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If you are healthy and have no medical condition related to sugar you don't need to track it.
  • paleojamie
    Options
    i'm pretty sure fruit doesn't count as sugar per say..

It's a bundle of nutrients with very natural sugar

if fruit is included then I have around 60g of sugar a day, but without it's around 25-30
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that....was in a hurry and wanted to provide a possible explanation for ya.......I don't believe in fancy diets :happy:

Enjoy your day!!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yet to look at the sugar macro, i tend to avoid sugary things as it destroys my cals for the day but thats about it. Its always in the red.