Why?

Options

Replies

• miserywaterfall
    Options
    Hey Jess, reading your post reminds me of me. I was a similar weight, infact 4lbs heavier and it finally got to the stage where I had had enough of it and decided to seriously try to lose weight.

My advice is, don't beat yourself up when you slip and eat something naughty. Especially at the beginning, it is very hard to break routines and bad eating habits. Focus on the positives that day instead and try again the next day. Take it slowly, one day at a time, it's a learning curve and you are going to slip up.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I think in order for you to be completly committed to this is to actually be committed to it. Its not going to be easy and you aren't going to do it unless you REALLY, REALLY want it. With that being said the only advice I can give you is to first actually see what you are doing to your body and what helped you get overweight.

Use this tool without trying to stay under goal. Eat normally. Any food that you eat log it, and honestly. This has been a very eye-awekening experience for me. Before a normal dinner for me every night was any number combo meal from MDonalds, supersized with a soda. In fact most of my food had the word fast in front of it. In most cases it wasn't an excessive amount of food...I thought. However, now that I have started logging my food, I have realized just how many extra calories I was putting into my body. Do it for a couple of days, and be honest. Then try to cut out one bad meal a day. Then try adding healthy meals. And eventually start trying to stay on point. Do it slowly and learn from it...
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    That sounds so simple. But it's just been Christmas. My partner and his daughter have a load of their chocolates still in the cupboard. I thought about just putting them at the top of the cupboard as far away from my reach as possible (as I have to use a toddler step to get to the top shelf) and then our of sheer laziness wouldn't eat them. How do I motivate myself to eat well though? Do you think persevering with the planning would help? I thought about preparing some healthy dishes and keeping them in the freezer so I can just heat them up...? And the exercise is a HUGE point. How do I force myself to get off my bum and exercise? I hate it right now.

You don't have to do everything at once. Maybe you could start one day by just eating under your calorie goal, not worrying about eating healthy. Then once you've managed that for a while then you could start setting goals like eating healthier meals. If it seems too daunting it'll be harder to do, but if you just think "all I have to worry about today is not eating too many calories" then it might make it easier?

this is good advice (assuming you get your mindset straightened out first). My journey started about a year ago. When I started, I focused exclusively on what I was eating and didn't worry about exercise for 2 1/2 months. I lost 21 pounds during that time and wasn't even eating as healthy as I'm eating now....I was just eating less and making some better choices. Its a process and there's no need to jump in with three feet at the same time. work on one thing at a time and then progress. but you have to get that mindset working first or else it will be hard to even accomplish one solid task. dig deep and find those brutally true reasons why you hate your current lifestyle. and, if you can't stick with something, chances are either you don't hate your current lifestyle enough or you haven't been completely honest with yourself in listing the things you hate about the overweight lifestyle.
  • diva500
    diva500 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I guess I was abit different in the fact that I just one day woke up and said that was enough....and started cold turkey weighing in at almost 350Lbs January 3, 2011. I gave up soda on that day too....but what I learned along the way was things I thought were healthy, were NOT!!! I have learned what are my trigger foods and so I dont keep them in my house...I have tried to bring them back into the house thinking I was strong enough....but I WASNT....so I have come to terms with the fact that some things I just cant have around me. I have gone from low-impact Zumba classes to step and weight classes, to getting a gym membership, to teaching low-impact Zumba and now have my own personal trainer. I started that night walking a mile and I now just completed my first 10K and am training for a 1/2 marathon.....sure sure you will have people cheering you on, family and friends encouraging you and saying how much you motivate them, but in the end your the one that has to do the hard work....YOU HAVE TO WANT THIS....REAL BAD......and then JUST DOING IT!!!! Dont wait for motivation to kick in.....start like you already have motivation, eventually it will kick in.....and if you mess up (which we all do), dont start over tomorrow.....start in your very next meal.....
    By the way in one year I have LOST 155Lbs.....and let me tell you it is still a struggle......Good Luck
  • duckychic
    duckychic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    During the holidays, I was having a hard time getting motivated to exercise and wanted to eat everything in sight. I read a post from someone on here and it really clicked with me. So, I tried it...

Make your daily goal be to maintain your weight. This way you should have a lot of calories each day (mine is 2280). Then you exercise (but don't eat the calories back). If you burn 1750 calories in a week, you will lose 1/2 pound, 3500 to lose 1 pound.

Just a different way of looking at what we are doing here.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I sympathise as if there are 'bad' foods in the house I would track them down so I just don't get them in.

Try to get your family on side and see if they will support you in healthier eating? If they don't want to get involved themselves they can still help you by for example, taking their chocolates to work to eat there.

Planning meals in advance helps a lot too and accounting for everything in your food diary. I also hate exercise but try a small amount at first so it doesn't feel like such a chore. Even 20 mins a day is a good start and then you can build up to more once you get into it.

Good luck! :smile:
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    When you want to be as successful as bad as you need to breathe, then you will be. It's a quote I started to live by. Bottom line is you really need to want to do this. Not just kinda want it. If you are sabotaging yourself at every turn (I used to do this as well) it is probably your inner self not being ready.
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    Try to stop thinking that you are "giving up" things. What favor did junk food ever do for you? Dump it like a bad date.
    That is really good advice :)
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    I guess I was abit different in the fact that I just one day woke up and said that was enough....and started cold turkey weighing in at almost 350Lbs January 3, 2011. I gave up soda on that day too....but what I learned along the way was things I thought were healthy, were NOT!!! I have learned what are my trigger foods and so I dont keep them in my house...I have tried to bring them back into the house thinking I was strong enough....but I WASNT....so I have come to terms with the fact that some things I just cant have around me. I have gone from low-impact Zumba classes to step and weight classes, to getting a gym membership, to teaching low-impact Zumba and now have my own personal trainer. I started that night walking a mile and I now just completed my first 10K and am training for a 1/2 marathon.....sure sure you will have people cheering you on, family and friends encouraging you and saying how much you motivate them, but in the end your the one that has to do the hard work....YOU HAVE TO WANT THIS....REAL BAD......and then JUST DOING IT!!!! Dont wait for motivation to kick in.....start like you already have motivation, eventually it will kick in.....and if you mess up (which we all do), dont start over tomorrow.....start in your very next meal.....
    By the way in one year I have LOST 155Lbs.....and let me tell you it is still a struggle......Good Luck

Congratulations. That is awesome :) I need that trigger. To just wake up one day and start. I did that last year on January 1st. It lasted about a fortnight and then I fell into my old ways. I do want it - really bad. And I think you're right. I have to just start and the motivation will follow.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have two suggestions:

1. Log everything you eat, healthy or not for one week. Don't promise yourself you will cut back or do anything extra til you've done this. No diet, just logging.
    2. At the end of the week, look back at your food diary and pick ONE thing to change. Maybe you're eating a good breakfast but an unhealthy lunch. So, commit to a healthy lunch every day for a week. Don't worry about anything else, just make that lunch healthy.
    The next week pick one more thing and work on that.

This way you aren't setting yourself up to fail every day, you are setting small acheivable goals.
    The great thing is that you start winning and that makes it easier to keep going.

Good luck!!
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on here who has said start with one thing. I find that as I start doing one thing right, the other things fell into place! I started by adding more veggies into my diet - I didn't change anything else (I had already cut out soda and juice long ago). Then I just started journaling. Once you write it down, you become more accountable and you will see that without even trying, your calorie intake will decrease - just because it can be scary when you see it on paper! From there I was able to make a lot of changes and most of them unconcious. And if you hate exercise, find something you do like to do! Exercise doesn't have to be in a gym: join a sports team, do karate, go for a hike, dance your butt off in your living room! Do whatever you find fun and that will motivate you to continue.
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    I have two suggestions:

1. Log everything you eat, healthy or not for one week. Don't promise yourself you will cut back or do anything extra til you've done this. No diet, just logging.
    2. At the end of the week, look back at your food diary and pick ONE thing to change. Maybe you're eating a good breakfast but an unhealthy lunch. So, commit to a healthy lunch every day for a week. Don't worry about anything else, just make that lunch healthy.
    The next week pick one more thing and work on that.

This way you aren't setting yourself up to fail every day, you are setting small acheivable goals.
    The great thing is that you start winning and that makes it easier to keep going.

Good luck!!

I'm going to do that.
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    Plan meals in advance - sometimes I make a list of what I'm going to eat the next day. Even better, prepare what you can the night before. Then you have no excuse to reach for something bad when you're in a hurry. Be nice to yourself and don't leave it open to temptation.

Throw all the baddies out and don't buy more - I totally agree with all the above comments. If it's in the house, I'll eat it. It MUST go. If you don't have the willpower to throw it out now, just wait until the next time you slip up. It will be a lot easier to throw out the junk when you're sick of being controlled by it. Tell your hubby/daughter/anyone else that they'll just have to get their junk food fix when they are at school/work. Make your house a healthy one! It'll be good for everyone in the long run.

Most importantly - (this is one I really need to work on) don't be too hard on yourself! You said you started the day with a healthy breakfast, then it all went downhill. But that's a start! That's a good thing! You should applaud yourself on the small successes. Small changes like a healthy breakfast will lead to big changes. You may only eat a healthy breakfast this week, with the rest of the day being crap, but who knows, next week might be a healthy breakfast and a healthy lunch.

You can do it! Good luck!!
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options

And my sister is about 2 stone heavier than me and I know she wants to lose weight too. The only problem is she doesn't live near me and I only see her every couple of months or so.

This is perfect! You and your sis should take advantage of the fact that you both want to lose weight…even if you aren't living near each other. My mom and I did a healthy eating diet together for a few weeks, and it really helped. We checked in with each other every night on the phone. It really helped keep me accountable, and I knew it would help her a lot too. I think what motivated me the most though was keeping her on track. I love my momma and want her to be healthy! I'm sure you want the same for your sis.
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    Plan meals in advance - sometimes I make a list of what I'm going to eat the next day. Even better, prepare what you can the night before. Then you have no excuse to reach for something bad when you're in a hurry. Be nice to yourself and don't leave it open to temptation.

Throw all the baddies out and don't buy more - I totally agree with all the above comments. If it's in the house, I'll eat it. It MUST go. If you don't have the willpower to throw it out now, just wait until the next time you slip up. It will be a lot easier to throw out the junk when you're sick of being controlled by it. Tell your hubby/daughter/anyone else that they'll just have to get their junk food fix when they are at school/work. Make your house a healthy one! It'll be good for everyone in the long run.

Most importantly - (this is one I really need to work on) don't be too hard on yourself! You said you started the day with a healthy breakfast, then it all went downhill. But that's a start! That's a good thing! You should applaud yourself on the small successes. Small changes like a healthy breakfast will lead to big changes. You may only eat a healthy breakfast this week, with the rest of the day being crap, but who knows, next week might be a healthy breakfast and a healthy lunch.

You can do it! Good luck!!

You're right about it being good for them. A 5 yo should not be so dependent on junk food. If you ask her what she wants to eat she always says McDs, macaroni cheese, hot dogs or chips. And she wants pudding after EVERY MEAL!! Its getting ridiculous. She throws a tantrum if I make her eat all her veg or if I don't let her have ice cream or sweets after tea. And she sees chocolate as a reward.... I'm not her mum so I can't force changes on her. But I don't think thats the right way for her to see food.

Plus my partner wants to lose weight but he doesn't want it forced on him. We were doing it together in summer '10.

I could just do with the stuff being gone. Every day this week I have had chocolate that I wouldn't have had if it wasn't in the cupboard.
  • mojox2003
    mojox2003 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think as some people have said its lil steps, I find it sooooo hard and im a lot bigger than you as well, its been a struggle and like you have gone of and on the plan.

But I decided that im going to take it one day at a time and not put the guilt thing on myself if I have a bad day becasuse then that leads to more bad days and me giving up altogether.

MFP is amazing for me, I think puting everything I eat down shows me where and when im going wrong and where im going right as well.

Good luck and keep coming on here as the support is amazing
  • km47
    km47 Posts: 34
    Options
    Seems like if right after breakfast its all downhill from there.....that the answer is that you are not ready yet to shift what that junk is doing for you to something else. The thing is you sound like the junk is filling a void and until you swap out something that doesn't cost you calories (hobby or exercise) you will conitnue to fight against the tide. Good luck, maybe start exercise first, then start with smaller changes. Eat healthy in the am! add exercise, then after awhile, start swapping a healthy snack after exercise. If you take away the thing that helps you cope with whatever and don't have another coping thing, you will sabotage yourself. Baby steps........
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    I think as some people have said its lil steps, I find it sooooo hard and im a lot bigger than you as well, its been a struggle and like you have gone of and on the plan.

But I decided that im going to take it one day at a time and not put the guilt thing on myself if I have a bad day becasuse then that leads to more bad days and me giving up altogether.

MFP is amazing for me, I think puting everything I eat down shows me where and when im going wrong and where im going right as well.

Good luck and keep coming on here as the support is amazing

I do agree. I have used other things like this before but the forums on here make it so much better. People are so lovely and supportive :)
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Start small, and remember that you can eat whatever you want to eat - having chocolate and tinned ravioli doesn't make it automatically a bad day, as long as those things fit within your goals. Making those choices may mean that you need to make some different choices for your other meals, or go for a brisk walk to 'earn' a few extra calories to fit inside the days goals. You have to figure out what you can live with. If your goal is too low to start with, bump it up a bit until you're comfortably within that zone, then gradually reduce it. I started around the same weight as you, and with small changes, I'm down nearly 30lb in three months.

Re. the chocolates - put them in a biscuit tin, or something else opaque, and put them out of reach in a cupboard. If you can't see them, you're far less likely to be tempted. Good luck!
  • prism68
    prism68 Posts: 11
    Options
    In my experience, it's been more about eating the things that actually SATISFY hunger. Once you eat more of that, there's no more room/cravings for junky stuff. What I have noticed is that if I eat a tub of pringles.... I'll definitely want more pringles. Or something else with the same flavor pallet. I recently watched a documentary discussing the "triggers" in your stomach for fullness. A lot of the refined things or modified things we eat (ravioli, etc.) doesn't trigger the same hormones of satisfaction/satiety. Find some REALLY yummy food that has mostly whole grain, and you'll be sa-tis-fied! No room or desire for junk!

This is so true! I recently decided to only eat foods I LOVE, that calories are too short to waste on bad food... So think up ( and plan for) some healthy foods you actually enjoy eating...try to stock up on something in each category (fruit, vegetable, etc). Best wishes to you!