"I found the weight you lost"

Options
I've seem to hear this a lot, both with family and friends, when I tell them how much I've lost - "Well I found the weight you've lost!".

What do you say or do when people do that? I feel like I should say "Yea, I can tell, maybe you should lay off the cheeseburgers", but I never ever would say that (even if it was true).

Is it people's insecurities that makes them say that rather than just saying "Congratulations"?

Replies

• heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My mom says that all of the time. It's so annoying. I just brush it off though and don't make a comment back.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I just say - well you can keep it, I don't want it back thanks :)
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's because they are jealous adn they don't want to put in the work. Just keep quiet or I like lady raven's response..."I don't want it back"....If they are going to be rude, there's no reason you can't get a little quip in :-)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I just say - well you can keep it, I don't want it back thanks :)

This one works fine!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I hear it a lot, or i get where is the rest of you. My answer is always.. at the gym.
  • Lorichr
    Lorichr Posts: 54
    Options
    I think you hit the nail on the head; it is insecurity and jealousy. People just have such a hard time being genuinely happy for one another.

I am so proud of my weight loss I can hardly stand it, but I rarely bring it up unless someone else does.
  • Tlcw96
    Tlcw96 Posts: 13
    Options
    I am one that says that. I always used to say it because I knew I needed to do something but hadnt yet taken the time to do so. A response isnt necessary, however if you feel you need to respond then just say you can keep it.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Obviously, they are insecure, so encourage them. I would say something like, "Well if I lost it, you definitely can too." (Which, in my case, is ENTIRELY true.)
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    My answer is always.. at the gym.

I like that one!
  • jennajava
    Options
    I think you hit the nail on the head; it is insecurity and jealousy.

Insecurity, yes, but how does this:
    "Well I found the weight you've lost!".

...equate jealousy?
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I've seem to hear this a lot, both with family and friends, when I tell them how much I've lost - "Well I found the weight you've lost!".

What do you say or do when people do that? I feel like I should say "Yea, I can tell, maybe you should lay off the cheeseburgers", but I never ever would say that (even if it was true).

Is it people's insecurities that makes them say that rather than just saying "Congratulations"?

sometimes is their sense of humor.. thats all.

if you said you lost some weight, a natural quip is to expand on the "lost" word... thats all.
    my advice would be to gain a sense of humor and not take everything so personally... if you take everything as a potential insult to yourself... you'll be insulted alot. lol.

i seriously doubt theres any malice behind anyone saying that joke.
  • jennajava
    Options

sometimes is their sense of humor.. thats all.

if you said you lost some weight, a natural quip is to expand on the "lost" word... thats all.
    my advice would be to gain a sense of humor and not take everything so personally... if you take everything as a potential insult to yourself... you'll be insulted alot. lol.

i seriously doubt theres any malice behind anyone saying that joke.

I don't think she was insinuating there was malice.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    No, I don't thinK there was any malice, nor do I take it as an insult. Just not sure why people say things like that or how to respond.