Best low-calorie jam?

Options
I have a weakness for PB&J--it's one of my comfort foods and I need that this cold, snowless Vermont winter! But I would like to cut down on calories. I tend to like jam that has a lot of fruit in it (raspberry, strawberry, blackberry--notice a pattern?!) but sometimes have a hard time dealing with low-sugar options. Can anyone recommend a good replacement for high-sugar/calorie options?

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I like Trader Joe's reduced sugar preserves.

Making your own would be best so you can control what goes in.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    oops double post
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    West virginia fruit and berry, I think it is called. Basically home made. No added sugar. So delicious. Only two ingredients: fruit and pectin. Sugar content is all from the fruit.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I like trader joe's. I eat their super fruit spread. I don't know the sugar content but I only eat a small amount. Crofter's is also...AMAZING! They have super fruit spreads and regular jams using fruit from different parts of the world, and the sugar content seems to be 7-8g per 1 tbsp. You can get Crofter's at whole foods and probably other organic food places.
  • charlotteandalfie
    Options
    I love st dal four sugar free thick apricot jam it's so yummy. 13 cals per tsp xx
  • keggreen
    Options
    Smucker's Simply Fruit. It even has small fruit pieces:)
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I make my own. Which sounds ridiculous who has time right. BUT--- I found these packets of ( see this is how little I know about making jam) gelatin??? in which you don't need to cook your fruit or anything you simply choose your fruit of choice chop/mash to a consistency that you like pour this "gelatin" in and stir for three minutes. That way you control how much sugar goes into the jam. It stays forever and it can be frozen.

So what i did was I bought I frozen bag of strawberries from Costco let them thaw mashed them with a potato masher ( yeah I AM classy like that) added a little bit of sugar, gelatin and voila, had tonns of jam to freeze and it lasted me forever and I gave some away.

I was pretty awesome and it kinda gave me bragging rights that I made jam even though I kinda cheated doing it!! AWESOME!!!
  • snowkid03
    Options
    trader joes reduced sugar jam... yummmmm. being from VT myself i know there is no TJs in vermont, but i hear one will be opening in nashua NH soon!
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I make my own. Which sounds ridiculous who has time right. BUT--- I found these packets of ( see this is how little I know about making jam) gelatin??? in which you don't need to cook your fruit or anything you simply choose your fruit of choice chop/mash to a consistency that you like pour this "gelatin" in and stir for three minutes. That way you control how much sugar goes into the jam. It stays forever and it can be frozen.

So what i did was I bought I frozen bag of strawberries from Costco let them thaw mashed them with a potato masher ( yeah I AM classy like that) added a little bit of sugar, gelatin and voila, had tonns of jam to freeze and it lasted me forever and I gave some away.

I was pretty awesome and it kinda gave me bragging rights that I made jam even though I kinda cheated doing it!! AWESOME!!!

I think you are talking about freezer jam and pectin (not gelatin).
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

I think you are talking about freezer jam and pectin (not gelatin).

That sounds better. Pectin. Thank you. I knew gelatin didn't sound right but I just couldn't think of the word for the life of me.
  • Sarahjaanexox
    Options
    You can make your own

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1725,154161-236205,00.html

^that recipe says it's about 5 calories per tablespoon!!!

or you can buy a brand called IXL strawberry spread-20 cal/tbsp

as for the PB, make your own! 16 cal/tbsp-just google foodie fiasco instant low calorie peanut butter!

i love pb as well x.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Smucker Apricot Preserves low sugar
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Aldi's Fit & Active blackberry preserve is awesome!