Help with logging exercise

Options
Hi, I just recently started working out at a gym...When I go to log my exercise, the MFP tracker always says more calories than the treadmill or bike say I burned. I have been adjusting it to what the equipment says, but was wondering why the numbers are so off? Yesterday MFP said I burned 300 more calories than the treadmill said I did. What gives? Do I go by MFP or the equipment (since it takes my heart rate)?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    300 calories of running is around 3 miles - that seems a huge difference.

Did you put the right speed into mfp?

How far did you run?
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    300 calories of running is around 3 miles - that seems a huge difference.

Did you put the right speed into mfp?

How far did you run?

I can't run yet....I did a cardio program (walking) on the treadmill for 25 mins, didn't really notice the mileage but it said 280 cals. Then I did a bike for 8 mins, 3 miles. That said I only burned 60 on the bike. I guess if I really burned more great, but I kind of want to know where I really stand!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Oh, and when I put in treadmill, it just asks me for my calories and time, never speed. What am I doing wrong??
  • WallyGirl358
    Options
    Try selecting walk or walking. It will then provide some new options like 3.0 or 3.5 for 4.0, etc.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    MyFitness is pretty off when it comes to that but gym equipment is as well. The best way to track it is to invest in a Heart Rate Monitor. If you do get one, make sure you buy one with the strap.....much more accurate.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    The machines are less reliable unless you're putting in age, m or f, weight, and height.
    Heart rate monitors are a good investment otherwise I know loads of people who have lost all the weight based on what MFP says. I have read (sorry not sure where) that it's only recommended you eat half your exercise calories, but each person's body is different and you will have to find what works for you as far as that goes.
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'd be more inclined to trust mfp because it takes your current weight into account when figuring out calories burned. When I track walking on the treadmill, I just select walking and then the speed from the list of cardio activities. Then I just have to enter the time and not calories. I have the opposite issue with calories than what you're having- my treadmill always tells me I burn more calories than mfp gives me, so I go with what mfp says. I'm having the same weight issue, though, the scale isn't moving. Although for me, and maybe for you, I just recently started working out again after having foot surgery, so I know I'm gaining muscle which would make the scale not move much yet. The same could be happening for you. Good luck with your weight loss!
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    If you want to be more accurate its best to invest in a HRM.. everyone is different and most likely the bike and MFP are wrong.. I usually go in between what they both say... But a heart rate monitor will monitor your HR the best and give most accurate calories burned!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Try selecting walk or walking. It will then provide some new options like 3.0 or 3.5 for 4.0, etc.

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks!
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    MyFitness is pretty off when it comes to that but gym equipment is as well. The best way to track it is to invest in a Heart Rate Monitor. If you do get one, make sure you buy one with the strap.....much more accurate.

this exactly & make sure it shows calories burnt too when buying one (I made that mistake with my first HRM!)
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I'd be more inclined to trust mfp because it takes your current weight into account when figuring out calories burned. When I track walking on the treadmill, I just select walking and then the speed from the list of cardio activities. Then I just have to enter the time and not calories. I have the opposite issue with calories than what you're having- my treadmill always tells me I burn more calories than mfp gives me, so I go with what mfp says. I'm having the same weight issue, though, the scale isn't moving. Although for me, and maybe for you, I just recently started working out again after having foot surgery, so I know I'm gaining muscle which would make the scale not move much yet. The same could be happening for you. Good luck with your weight loss!

I've been doing MFP for two weeks and have lost 6 lbs, but just started working out this week (only 2 days so far). I guess I'll see how that affects my weigh in next week! I hope not negatively!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I find that for me, the machines are low and MFP high, I purchased an inexpensive wrist only HRM, it was pretty good but interrupted my workout (to make it accurate you have to keep checking it as you move through) . I recently purchased a belt/wrist watch one and was pleased with no interruptions in my workout and more accurate calorie counts. Your HRM will also be customized to your weight and age, that makes a huge difference, the burn on a treadmill is quite different for a fit 20 year old and an obese 56 year old, the machine bases it only on the heart rate so it's not very accurate. MFP I am not sure when they are high for many things low for others, best to have a heart rate monitor and customize those numbers to your personal burn.
  • shutch19
    shutch19 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    machines don't take anything into consideration..if you and i were to do the same exercise on the same equipment for the same amount of time we would burn different amount, this is due to age, weight, height and sex...invest in a HRM... MFP is pretty close and accurate to what youve actually burnt as it takes all of these things into consideration..hope this helps :)
  • jennifer2977
    Options

this exactly & make sure it shows calories burnt too when buying one (I made that mistake with my first HRM!)

I did buy one that tracked steps, heart rate and calories. Too bad I have no idea where I put the d**m thing. LOL
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I did buy one that tracked steps, heart rate and calories. Too bad I have no idea where I put the d**m thing. LOL

if it didnt' have the chest strap, it's worthless. Invest in a Polar. They start at around 50.00 and the best money you'll spend.
  • heatherterp
    Options
    i have the same problem sort of. my machine says I burned more than what MFP. I take the lower number.
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Is it maybe bc MFP is basing this on your weight, gender, etc and the equipment can only use an average of everyone in exisistance?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I cut down the MFP guesstimates.
    They were too high for me, and you may need to tweak it to find your zone.

For most, they're spot on though - more accurate that the health club machines.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I tend to trust the machine honestly. I work out on an elliptical and I put my weight in before I do the exercise. There is always a difference of 200-500 calories burned (there is no way that I burned over 1000 calories on the elliptical in 45 minutes...the machine told me 500, I go by that). MFP doesn't know the level of intensity you are working out at. I burn more calories when I workout on level 10 as opposed to level 3 on the elliptical. MFP doesn't give me an option to input speed or intensity.
  • inchestopinch
    inchestopinch Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I tend to trust the machine honestly. I work out on an elliptical and I put my weight in before I do the exercise. There is always a difference of 200-500 calories burned (there is no way that I burned over 1000 calories on the elliptical in 45 minutes...the machine told me 500, I go by that). MFP doesn't know the level of intensity you are working out at. I burn more calories when I workout on level 10 as opposed to level 3 on the elliptical. MFP doesn't give me an option to input speed or intensity.

I was just thinking this myself. The machines at my local gym allow me to input my weight & age before my workout, as well as it checks my heart rate throughout. And like you've mentioned, MFP doesn't know what intensity I'm working out at, so I usually go with what the machine says.