zumba looks terrifying

Options
Hi all hope you are well!

I live across the road from a church hall and just found out they do zumba classes on a Thursday evening. So I was thinking of asking my oh to watch the kids while I go (which is a challenge in itself) . Anyway I looked up what zumba actually is and it looks terrifying. I have two left feet and I'm scared of making a fool of myself. Especially as there will be local people there.

I used to do step aerobics before I had the kids and fell over the step on numerous occasions. I ended up getting to the point I was so worked up about making mistakes I had panic attacks.

So I was wondering is it as difficult as it looks?

Replies

• Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun. I had 2 left feet when I started, but I'm getting better. Go, try it, you'll have a blast and burn a ton of calories!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    to look good whilst doing it is probably difficult, but in itself its not that difficult, go along and have a go, i can bet you anything you'll enjoy yourself. its great fun, and i can't dance and have to left feet too
  • Sloth_Jog
    Options
    it's only terrifying if you see ME in Zumba class :laugh: nah, the focus is to keep on moving and to have fun - the vibe at the few classes i went to was pretty laid back - not so much emphasis on 'perfect moves' - the focus is to keep burning calories and to have fun. try it at least once - you might get hooked!
  • annababybun
    Options
    I have just recently discovered Zumba and I'm hooked. I too, do not have much co-ordination and on top of that I've got 4 stone to lose (I'm working on it!) so I thought there was no way I would be able to move fast enough to keep up with Zumba. However, I have been twice a week for a couple of weeks now and its great. Everyone at the class is so busy concentrating on what they're doing they don't have time to look at me. Our instructor doesn't expect everyone to be able to dance like her, so she says just let go and have fun. Sometimes I find myself doing a completely different move to her, but I am moving and that's what counts. You can apparently burn between 800 - 1000 calories in an hours class. I have never worked so hard in my life (take a towel as you will sweat A LOT!).
    I would recommend trying at least 4 - 6 classes before you make your mind up, as you will get better at the steps with every class. Give it a go, and if you don't like it - at least you can say you tried it!
    Good luck :-)
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    No one will be watching you, they're all too worried about what they look like and also they are watching the instructor!
  • hicklepickle59
    Options
    Zumba is fabulous. I am 52 years old and have been doing one class a week for 7 months and have now just started two classes. It is so adictive and if you dont know what you are doing all you need do is bop around and have fun. You will so enjoy it.
    Debbie.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    You will have soo much fun and laugh at how silly this post was later.

So GOOOOOOOOO.

Are you there yet?

Are you there yet?

I know you said Thursday, but are you convinced yet?
  • whit1108
    Options
    Youll have a blast! Go and try it. People in the class don't even pay attention to one another they are focused on the teacher. Everyone just less loose and has fun! It does not matter if your not doing the moves correct as long as your moving your getting a workout in.. Its a great workout! Try it out :)
  • forsophia2009
    Options
    Ditto that no one will be watching you.

When I first started I had no idea what I was doing and I consider myself a pretty good dancer. But there's a big difference between Zumba and dancing in a night club lol :wink: The key for me was to take it slow. As long as you are moving, you will burn. So I worked on my feet coordination first, then I added arms until I was finally able to learn the entire move. Now I know probably 95% of the routines (she adds a new one each week or changes moves) and it's so much easier to do. I feel like I burn a lot more now because I don't have to stop and think about the moves. Now I'm just challenging myself to jump higher, move more quickly, etc.

I say go and have fun!
  • Auspiciousgirl
    Options
    Zumba is soooooooo fun!!! It doesn't matter if you have 2 left feet or not, it's more about getting up and moving!! If you like music, give it a shot, you'll have a blast for sure :)
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Yes... and no. The first time is really hard to keep up! But it gets easier the more you go and eventually the moves become second nature.

Don't worry about having to left feet... seriously. I do as well. The fact of the matter is: almost everyone in the that room is making a fool of themselves and they are too focused on keeping up to care what you look like!

You should go! I love Zumba now and I was never, ever, not in a million years the dancing type. It is a lot of fun!
  • Queenb62303
    Options
    lol i think it looks scary too! my friend and i are going for the first time on friday... i looked at some videos on youtube, hope i dont break a hip!!
  • dearaes
    dearaes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Go try it! I too think you will be hooked! I have been doing it for a year and LOVE it! It does the mind and the body good!!!!:laugh:
  • petalrose
    petalrose Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just got Zumba on kinect and I love it and I can't keep up with the game, but it's still fun esp. when I see the calories I'm burning.I think it may be on DVD too?Maybe try that out if you aren't comfortable with the classes, it's also on kinect and wii.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    do it!!! I LOOOOOVE zumba, it's the best!!! As long as your'e moving, you're burning so who cares if you don't get the moves right??
  • NuttyK
    NuttyK Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Our Zumba class is very laid back and very friendly, we all make mistakes (even the instructor) and laugh about them which so even new members know that it isnt perfect and you shouldnt be made to feel uncomfortable, go - have fun - have a laugh :D
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    GOOOOOOOO - it's awesome!! If you get lost (like I do on occasion) just keep moving - as long as you move your hips no one really knows if you are doing it right or not and everyone is just having such a good time that they are not looking.
  • ANewMaria2014
    ANewMaria2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun and a great way to burn calories, and it really doesn't matter if you have 2 left feet you will get the hang of it and you can even make up your own moves, that is what makes it so great!! Try it you will get hooked!!! Oh and no worries you don't need a step bench! lol:smile:
  • AudrasAlly
    Options
    Absolutely! Everyone is in the same boat - and we're all watching the instructor! it's very helpful to make friends in the class - introduce yourself to someone. Trust me - you're not the only one thinking you look like a fool. Imagine how great it feels when you get those dance steps down? :)
    Good luck!
    Audra
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba at least four days a week. It's SO fun, empowering, energizing, and always leaves me in a great mood!