low impact cardio

Options
does anyone have any low impact cardio workouts. Right now i do a lot of jumping and things that make my legs and knees hurt, like jump squats ect. i need something that is cardio and will help me burn cals

Replies

• bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone workouts are low impact and still a good workout!
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    Swimming!!! If you have access to a pool it is the best low-impact cardio you can do. You burn between 200-300 calories in 30 minutes (the amount burned depends on weight, the less you weight, the less calories; for example I weigh 135 now and burn about 200 but a person weighing 200 would burn around 320). Walking is also good (I walk my dog about 30 and burn around 130 calories), especially if you can add in hills (add effort means more calories burned). I also like to hike, you can go at your own pace and I like the peacefulness of nature (plus 30 min is 200 calories for me).
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Stationary biking, just walking, eliiptical
  • ms_luciana
    Options
    Get on the elliptical. Typically, for me, jumping on there for 30 min at a moderate resistance and incline (usually 6-8) I burn right around 350-380 calories.
  • panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have a bad leg and can't do anything with too much impact. The elliptical trainer has never given me any problems.
  • AmberMarie09
    AmberMarie09 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/cardio/?videotype=free-full-length

i havent look through them a lot but i use my exercise tv on demand..
    hope this site helps :)
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike pretty regularly, but since the weather is getting colder and the days shorter, I'm limited to the weekends. I'd recommend a stationary bike (or spinning class) for indoors. For example, last week in a spinning class, I burned around 700 calories for that hour. On a normal bike ride (outside) I burn about the same an hour, more if I feel like kicking things up a notch or two. BUT as far as low impact, you can't really beat riding. Oooh! And there's swimming, too, if you have access to a pool.
  • mfpslash1313
    mfpslash1313 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try Zumba. It is a great Latin dance based workout.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you go to a gym with Arc Trainers, use one!!! I usually burn 700+ calories in an hour! It's a lot like an elliptical.
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I stay away from the elliptical per Dr.'s orders. I have a bad knee (due to high school injury) and he has instructed me that even though its low impact, the movement that the machines create is not natural. You are much better off just walking on a treadmill. But this may be only true for us short people!! The typical elliptical's stride is much larger than my natural stride.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone workouts are low impact and still a good workout!

^ ditto! i love leslie's work outs!
  • If you go to a gym with Arc Trainers, use one!!! I usually burn 700+ calories in an hour! It's a lot like an elliptical.

The Arc Trainer is super low impact. It's a cross between an elliptical and a stair climber.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    If you go to a gym with Arc Trainers, use one!!! I usually burn 700+ calories in an hour! It's a lot like an elliptical.

Funny! I have a bad hip and I can do elliptical but Arc Trainers KILL it.. I can't do 10 minutes without pain. Every body is different!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    go to your local library and search for low impact aerobics in thier card catalog. I have found my library has some great dvds and videos...best part is you can borrow for a week (or more) for FREE:)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Walking.
  • Carlamere84
    Options
    Denise Austin workouts are low impact.
  • nigelfarnhill
    Options
    a cross trainer is good i do 30 mns and lose over 300 cal
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    running in sand, swimming, biking, ummmm idk, I would like to know what everyone else thinks, great topic!!!!!!!!!
  • njoithomp
    Options
    regular boxing is great. Its totally low impact yet gets the calorie burn of running. i love it! you can even throw in some kicks to work your legs too.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, just be sure to bump up the resistance or there is no point.