Quinoa Egg Bake

Options
2»

Replies

• amethyst1
    Options
    Looks and sounds delicious - thanks for posting recipe with a picture!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    bump to read later!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If I can find quinoa I'll definitely try this! Looks yummy.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Looks great, I might toss in some cooked chicken and have it for dinner tonight
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Looks great, I might toss in some cooked chicken and have it for dinner tonight

I had it again for breakfast this morning, I was thinking it would be good with some canadian bacon in it or something.
  • diamond_roses
    Options
    bump! :)
  • woodmetal
    Options
    Quinoa usually comes in a box and is on the natural food aisle! Good luck ! it is worth the effort to find as it is a complete protein. It is really good!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I made this last night and I thought it was ok... seemed a little dry to me. Next time I am going to add either a cup of plain Greek yogurt or a cup of Cottage Cheese.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Did you cook it the whole 15 minutes after adding the cheese?
    I took it out after about 7 min, I could see the bottom browning through the glass. The cooking time might be too long.
    I will definitely be adding more seasonings, and some salsa next time for more flavor.

Let me know if you make it again with the yogurt or cottage cheese.
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I made it tonight. Subbed 1/2 egg whites,1/2 egg beaters for the eggs. Baked it at 375. Also used unsweetened almond milk for the milk. It came out very good texture wise. It was good tasting but a little bland, so I topped it with salsa!!! YUM!!!!
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    These looks great! Def going to try!!
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    YUM!! Quinoa quiche!!
    I made this for dinner tonight and it was pretty good. I think with a few changes, like some added salsa or pico de gallo, it could be amazing! The quinoa really does settle to the bottom and make a nice crust, all my spinach rose to the top though.

Quinoa Egg Bake - from Whole Foods

Ingredients
    1 teaspoon butter (used cooking spray instead)
    1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
    8 eggs
    1 1/4 cups milk (used almond milk)
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon chopped thyme
    1/2 teaspoon salt (did not use)
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    2 cups packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
    1 cup finely shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese (used 2.5oz white cheddar that I had on hand)

Method
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch x 8-inch glass or metal baking dish with butter; set aside.

Put quinoa into a fine mesh strainer and rinse until cold running water until water runs clear; drain well.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and quinoa. Stir in spinach then pour mixture into prepared dish. Cover tightly with foil then jiggle dish gently from side to side so that quinoa settles on the bottom in an even layer. Bake until just set, about 45 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle top evenly with cheese. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, until golden brown and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes more. Set aside to let cool briefly, then slice and serve.

Nutrition - Serves 6
    Per serving: 260 calories (130 from fat), 14g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 300mg cholesterol, 660mg sodium, 14g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 18g protein

Since this was in an 8x8 pan I cut it evenly into 4 giant pieces. It came out to be 318 calories for the larger serving with the ingredients I used.

1zwzrk8.jpg
  • OSHealthy
    OSHealthy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ashleighcollins89
    Options
    Looks so yummy! I love quinoa! Thanks for sharing