New and Improved SBF2 - Boogaloo June 1

Options
yoginimary
yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
Welcome to the new challenge. If you would like to join us, please do so. This is a fitness challenge, though we have other goals that we set. We post everyday and share many things that are going on in our lives. SBF stands for Stronger, Better, Faster.

I am taking the reins and deciding that the end date is August 31st - so we have three entire months to get in gear.

My goals for this challenge are:
Yoga 5x a week
Walk/Jog or other hard cardio 3x a week
Walk or easy cardio 4x a week (no day off, but plenty of easy days)
Avoid butter, cow cheese, and desserts - still allowed, but not more than once a week
Eat one meal a week mindfully
Yoga goals for end of summer - 5 minute headstand, 2 minute Warrior III, free standing elbow balance (no wall).

Will update later on results of body fat test (Dexa). Not expecting much change.

New Challenges Boogaloo!

Mary

Replies

• mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    I was hoping someone else would start it this morning. :tongue:
    Mary, hope you get surprising good news from your test!
    Happy birthday CP! I hope you have a great day!
    Well, I jogged. And it wasn't so bad. Everything bounced around but oh well. I even jogged in front of a couple of people. I jogged 60-90 seconds at a time, walking in between for about 90-120 seconds (waiting till I was on a downhill. ha ha!) and I did it five times. I did more than I thought I could and may have been able to go a couple more times but I had a half mile walk home and there's house work to do. It shaved off about ten minutes of my usual walking time, so that helped. I walk at the park because I know the miles, but I get tired of the same speed and walk. It was nice to have a change of pace (pun intended).
    My new goals for this challenge...hmm. I haven't really thought about them much but there are a couple of things I want to work on, so here's my goals:
    jog 1-3 times a week (1 time in case AF is here. I won't want to jog. I may exceed 3 a week on other weeks)
    Taebo 1-3 times a week
    stick with the push ups (my arms are still sore from weed eating on Friday and typing all weekend)
    and to not overeat. This ones going to be really hard because overeat is my middle name.
    Ya'll have a good day!
    Jogging boogaloo!
    MM
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Oh Mary, I think August 31st is great. Kind of like a summer challenge..although summer will be here until late September at least. :tongue: And I like the new and improved as well. :happy:
    MM
    Oh and I forgot to say I was pushing a 40 pound stroller when jogging. Makes it sound like I worked harder. :laugh:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. . .

Today is a session with my trainer and a short walk.

I was noticing in yoga yesterday that my arms look stronger and leaner, so I'm trying to focus on that. When I was in one of the poses, I noticed that I could see the little cap of my shoulder (I have no idea what that's called) muscle working. Also, a pair of pants that was tight after my birth-aversary festival trip are now fitting better. (all this and I'm preparing for my special-lady-time).

Oh, and MM, I'm all about the "podrunner" for learning to run (which for me is 5mph on the treadmill. . .I'm a slow bee.) If you have iTunes, you can download them for free. I like them because I just zone out doing them.

The other focus of this challenge for me is to try to learn how to say "that's enough." As in "I worked out for an hour today, and that's enough" or "I already had one spoonful of peanut butter, and that's enough." or "I had a dessert this week already, and that's enough."

Or, "I've already written a novella in this post, and that's enough.":tongue:

Take care, pebbs.:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Happy Birthday CP! :drinker:

V - that's the deltoid, I think that's the muscle you are referring to - I love good deltoids, especially on myself. :bigsmile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    How could I forget?

Happy Birthday, CP!:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Oh, and Mary. . .do you have a yoga anatomy book that you like? I've seen a few on Amazon, but don't want anything crazy expensive or technical, but I would like to be able to know what poses are working which muscles with cool illustrations, medical style.
  • yoginimary
    Options

Oh, and Mary. . .do you have a yoga anatomy book that you like? I've seen a few on Amazon, but don't want anything crazy expensive or technical, but I would like to be able to know what poses are working which muscles with cool illustrations, medical style.

I have this one:

Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff, Sharon Ellis, and Amy Matthews - it's cheap and simple - though I thought it was silly that they showed the outlines of clothes in the anatomy parts.

This one looks good, but is twice as much. I've only thumbed through it:
    Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners by H. David Coulter and Timothy McCall

Just got back from my Dexa scan. Good news - down 2.5 lbs. and 1.5% body fat. Bad news: dingy entered a number in wrong, so they were having me all worried that I was losing bone mass. I checked the numbers against last years and it's fine. Pissed me off though - she told me yoga wasn't enough for the bones, I had to do weights - even though my bone density is above normal.
    Oh, other weird thing - arm mass (both fat and muscle) is up - though I think my arms look great - oh, and my arms weren't aligned on the x-ray - don't know if that influenced it.

So my new Dexa shows 36.2% body fat (down from 37.8 % last year) and the skin fold - 28.7% this year (28.2% last year).
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Sounds like good news, Mary. Slow and steady, right?

So, change of plans today. I have a terrible sinus headache, and called my trainer to cancel. She said "I was just about to call you to cancel. . .I have the same headache." So, we're twin human barometers.

So, I switched my training day to Weds. this week, so it's my day off today. The thing that's hard for me about days off is eating less. I pretty much eat "over" (I've switched back to under maintenance, so it's still at a deficit) on my days off.

Rainy day boogaloo.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Oops! I started to post earlier, and then stepped away from my computer without actually doing it. Thanks for all the birthday wishes - you guys rock (pebble)! :laugh: I went to bed early last night, and slept 10 hours - what a great way to start my day. :wink:

It sounds like you are off to a great start with the jogging, MM. And congrats on your scan showing improvement, Mary. I still need to get scheduled for another fitness test at the Y - but I'm a little less certain about the results, since I know it will be a different person doing it (particularly on the skinfold part). Hope you feel better, V. :flowerforyou:

I still need some time to figure out what my goals are going to be for this round of the challenge. I did go on a little bit of a dessert binge this weekend, so after today I think I will try to limit it to once a week. :tongue: I will definitely keep up with the pushups and hard cardio at least 3x/week. And I think I may want to focus again on 'leaving food' - or, maybe, eating only half of what I have in front of me and forcing myself to stop for 10 minutes.
    Or, "I've already written a novella in this post, and that's enough." :tongue:
    LOL - clearly, I need to work on this one, myself! :wink:

31 boogaloo!
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    ha ha, count on me to wait until the last minute to log! Happy b-day CP (11:40pm here) :drinker:

My lil guy woke up around 11 last night throwing up & w/ temp. So I kept him home from daycare today and had a very productive day as a result of him just wanting to lie on the couch and watch disney channel. I managed to get him outside for about 3 or 4 hours total for the sunshine & fresh air, but he just wanted to sleep the rest of the day... :brokenheart: My day was spent in the kitchen (going room by room for a yard sale) purging (all cookie jars are in the sale box!) and cleaning.

I just did tae-bo after putting it off all day (didn't want to wake him) and was really conscious of my eating. I wanted animal cookies, so I portioned out 5 little snack bags for the week (@ 120 cals each). I allowed myself to binge this weekend; only thing I indulged in was mt. dew, and sad to say, it didn't taste that good :ohwell: Today was a good test. If I don't let excuses get me down, I CAN & WILL do it! :bigsmile:

I need to aim for shorter goals in order to achieve them so: June is to drop 5% body fat and kick my workouts up to the next level with end of month goal of 137. July will be another 5% and about 10lbs. Goals by Aug 15th (competition day) are 125ish, 18% body fat, possibly new career, definitely new outlook on life! :flowerforyou: