Going Vegan

Options
Hey, campers! Well, I've finally come to the conclusion that my low carb, higher meat/dairy/cheese diet is not doing it for me. My weight has plateaued. So -- I'm going to go vegan (with an emphasis on the vegetables, NOT bread, etc.) and see if I can start dropping weight. I'm phasing out the meat & dairy -- although my kids (and probably hubby) won't be -- over time. Any suggestions from you vegans out there? This is one reason I love this place, I can get a lot of support & solid advice. Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    :devil: Well that makes sense considering most people seem to think extremes are the answer. Someone said a few days ago that after adding diet pop to their diet they started to lose weight again, maybe try that next. j/k
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am in agreement that going to an extreme is not good for you. In saying that, I eat around 85% vegetarian and do not have a diet high in dairy.

One thing about this site is there are a lot of freaking crazy people that have no idea what they are talking about on here. Going vegan is serious business and my suggestion would be for you to actually go to a certified nutritionist and see what the best plan for you is.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I've finally come to the conclusion that my low carb, higher meat/dairy/cheese diet is not doing it for me. My weight has plateaued. So -- I'm going to go vegan (with an emphasis on the vegetables, NOT bread, etc.) and see if I can start dropping weight.

Sorry to sound ignorant, but why one extreme to another? Most of the people I know, who are vegan do it for ethical or health reasons (allergies to various food types) and as a lifestyle change not because they're trying to lose weight.
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dairy, fish or meat and I don't consider my diet to be 'extreme'. Once I cut out the dairy, my cholesterol level dropped 50 points, which was an 'extreme'ly healthy change. If you want to talk to the veggie people, try joining the Happy Herbivore group and ask your question there.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My advice is to do your research. You need to know how to properly get all the nutrition your body needs from this type of diet. I have Dr. Neal Bernard's book Get Healthy, Go Vegan (I wanted a recipe book to increase my non-meat meals, I am not vegan). I liked the recipes and he does explain it a bit.
    I also found this site was really helpful in explaining everything you need
    http://www.veg.ca/

I just want to mention one thing, this is not to be rude at all, but I feel it is important - vegan is much more than just not eating meat and dairy. Vegetarians don't eat meat, many don't eat dairy. Vegans don't use anything that contains animal products, that is not just limited to food. They avoid anything that contains animal or animal byproducts, even if animals are not killed in the process, for example honey, wool and eggs. It is more of an ethical stance more just what they eat.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    My advice is to do your research. You need to know how to properly get all the nutrition your body needs from this type of diet. I have Dr. Neal Bernard's book Get Healthy, Go Vegan (I wanted a recipe book to increase my non-meat meals, I am not vegan). I liked the recipes and he does explain it a bit.

I just want to mention one thing, this is not to be rude at all, but I feel it is important - vegan is much more than just not eating meat and dairy. Vegetarians don't eat meat, many don't eat dairy. Vegans don't use anything that contains animal products, that is not just limited to food. They avoid anything that contains animal or animal byproducts, even if animals are not killed in the process, for example honey, wool and eggs. It is more of an ethical stance more just what they eat.

^^^^^ This is a very good answer.

I cut my meat intake down and added more fish and lost 60 cholesterol points. I eat mainly vegetarian for health issues, not to lose weight or to make a political statement. I replace high cholesterol cheeses on sandwiches with rice cheese, I replace ricotta with tofu in lasagna. These choices also help me stay trim. I do use real cheese, such as feta and the shreds in salads, where a little fat is not going to hurt, and also help me stay fuller longer.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

this
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't think of weight-loss in "going vegan" as much as I think of health-gain.

People like to call eating plants extreme. It's not.

If you really choose to do this, do some reading. Make sure you understand how to get the nutrients your body needs from plants. (easier than anybody would have you believe)

Also, don't tell anyone that you are "vegan". People act like you said you were a pedophile.

Ignorance creates bias.

Good luck to you in whatever path you plan to follow.
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Being vegan is really easy, once you're in the swing of things. I'm legume intolerant and it still works for me! Like others have said, it is about cutting down on all animal byproducts/eliminating them, but I believe that any effort you make for however long is a good one!

I would suggest investing in a B12 vitamin supplement, nutritional yeast has some of this I believe and also good protein. Favorite foods of mine are whole grains such as barley, quinoa, rolled spelt, and I also love black rice. Also, I try really hard to avoid fake meat products, because they really aren't that good for you, though possibly better for you than meat? I think just focusing on eating healthy and trying to avoid all sorts of processed foods will help get you on your path again. Good luck!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    People like to call eating plants extreme. It's not.

Yep.

Also, "vegan" does tend to put people on the defensive, and does connote a certain ethical stance. A lot of people who become dietary vegans solely for health reasons (and yes, there are some who do it to lose weight along with improving things like cholesterol) say that they follow a "plant-based diet." People don't think that's quite as odd since it sounds more like a healthy lifestyle choice than saying "vegan" and then there aren't the endless conversations about dietary plant eating versus ethical non-animal eating and all the animal products that a vegan tries to avoid.

Becoming Vegan is a good book for nutrition. The Engine 2 Diet is interesting for its information, but I think the recipes use far too much soy. Just do your research. With a healthful and varied diet vegans mostly just need to supplement with B12. Just do your own nutritional research.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    These are lifestyles changes (lower carb/vegan) and switching from one to another is not the answer, is the point in my opinion. As far as health is concerned nothing trumps exercise for longevity and quality of life.............try incorporating exercise with a diet that you can feel comfortable with, and you'll probably see lots of win over the coming months and years.
  • MizzKaykay
    Options
    I have vegan friends and they are vegan for more "political/moral" reasons than nutrition, and they don't find it difficult at all. Again, they are doing it because they are against animal cruelty so it's easier. So it may be more difficult if you're just trying to be healthier. Do as much research as you can on foods that are vegan (you'd be as surprised to find out that certain foods are vegan as you would be to find out some foods aren't!). It's a pretty extreme lifestyle and one that would be difficult if you're the only vegan in a meat-eating family. So good luck to you.

Try these websites:

http://www.exploreveg.org/resources
    http://www.vegancooking.com/
    http://vegan.ellen.warnerbros.com/

Good luck!
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I did the exact same thing, I was serious low carb until my weight leveled off and I did not find going vegan to be extreme at all. After reading the book "The Kind Diet" which I highly recommend if you want to get into being vegan, it seemed like the logical next step. I have never felt better and the weight started coming off again.. If you need help I am here for you with any tips I can offer..
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    An option to look into is Plant-Base Nutrition, it is like Vegan but also incorporates natural grains such and takes out the "processed" aspect of foods like processed white sugars and suggests using things like Dates as a natural sugar substitute. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant Base Nutrition is half nutrition information on how your body works and does not work when you consume certain foods and half recipes (I have tried some and they are yummy). You can obtain all your nutritional needs from non-animal sources. I just couldn't bring myself to give up eggs and cheese :x
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am mostly vegan (I use honey) and I think it's funny when people call my diet extreme. I don't find it extreme at all and actually feel like I have more options and obviously I eat healthier now than I ever did before. Eating nothing but fruit or nothing but meat, that's extreme.

Anywho, two cookbooks that are absolutely wonderful with recipes stuffed with veggies, nothing processed and not over reliant on soy or fake meats are: Ripe Around Here and Get It Ripe, both by Jae Steele.

I second the other posters suggestions to do plenty of research. I think there is a constant learning curve when it comes to diet and nutrition and it's smart to try new things until you find what works for you. Good luck!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had NO IDEA this would be a hot button!

Thank you to those who gave me good information. Also, especially for the guy who said it's "extreme" and that I need to exercise more -- I exercise 5-6X a week, I do triathlons, I mean GEEZ. What I am doing is not working for me, and there's no way to argue that eating more vegetables is BAD for me.

Again, thanks for the websites & book ideas to those who gave them to me, I really appreciate the information. I am not looking to make a political or ethical statement, just a healthy lifestyle that will help me lose these last 25 lbs. Cheers!:drinker: