getting over a PLATEAU

Well, we all know what this is! Unfortunately, sometimes you can do everything right, lose a few pounds and your body will adjust to the work you are putting it through; thus, the plateau....

I have hit a plateau with my weight loss and figured there should be some things posted about this brick wall we all tend to hit.

If you have any tips to add or just need some support in pushing through, this is where you should go. I will post challenges to keep mixing up our excersise routines and nutrition.

Here a few few things to think aboutt then trying to get over that plateau...

1. The first thing to consider is that you may be getting close to your ideal weight.

2.Mix up your program:

By this I mean you may want to switch things around a bit. You may even want to modify your program. If you have been eating all protein, then you could try switching to salads or all vegetables for a couple days. You could even try switching to all carbohydrates for a few days. If you have been eating all carbs, then maybe switch to all protein for a while. You get the point, try to shake things up a bit and see if this helps or hurts.

3.Eat Healthier:

If you have been losing weight but not eating very healthfully, then maybe you should try to nourish you body. If you haven't been eating many calories or eating little or no vegetables, maybe try to get your body some extra nutrients. Try eating healthy foods and fats for a while. Your body may be missing something and this might be just the thing to get your through your plateau.

4.Start Exercising:

If you haven't already started an exercise regimen, then you should start. This can boost your weight loss immediately. Exercise and its benefits can range from losing weight to giving you a healthier heart. There are too many reasons not to exercise. If you have reached a plateau in your weight loss, then now is the best time to start exercising. Just get outside and walk for 20 minutes a day. If you can run then run. If you can only walk, then walk. I guarantee you that this will help you break through your plateau.

5.Understand plateaus are part of the process. Whether "self inflicted" or due to your body adjusting to weight loss you have already made, weight loss will stop. I have one woman in one of my meetings who told me that her doctor said that the average person will go through 14 plateaus! Each time you hit one, just check it off. You're closer to where you want to be.

6. Realize that this is a process, not a destination. If you understand that it doesn't matter if you hit plateaus because it's about being healthy, not skinny. Your weight will "get there" if you continue to take care of yourself and eat in a healthy fashion. The program works. Just be patient. We all want to "get there" but "there" doesn't do anything for us; there will be another "there" right after the first "there."

7. Finally, if you're stuck and you've cut your point total down, it could be that you're eating too FEW points. Really! If you don't get enough to eat, your body slows down your metabolism to make what you are getting last longer. Vary your points. Try new foods. Drink more water. Take a look at your habits; if you're getting sloppy (be honest), tighten up.

Replies

• brfortu
    brfortu Posts: 27
    Well, we all know what this is! Unfortunately, sometimes you can do everything right, lose a few pounds and your body will adjust to the work you are putting it through; thus, the plateau....

I have hit a plateau with my weight loss and figured there should be some things posted about this brick wall we all tend to hit.

If you have any tips to add or just need some support in pushing through, this is where you should go. I will post challenges to keep mixing up our excersise routines and nutrition.

Here a few few things to think aboutt then trying to get over that plateau...

1. The first thing to consider is that you may be getting close to your ideal weight.

2.Mix up your program:

By this I mean you may want to switch things around a bit. You may even want to modify your program. If you have been eating all protein, then you could try switching to salads or all vegetables for a couple days. You could even try switching to all carbohydrates for a few days. If you have been eating all carbs, then maybe switch to all protein for a while. You get the point, try to shake things up a bit and see if this helps or hurts.

3.Eat Healthier:

If you have been losing weight but not eating very healthfully, then maybe you should try to nourish you body. If you haven't been eating many calories or eating little or no vegetables, maybe try to get your body some extra nutrients. Try eating healthy foods and fats for a while. Your body may be missing something and this might be just the thing to get your through your plateau.

4.Start Exercising:

If you haven't already started an exercise regimen, then you should start. This can boost your weight loss immediately. Exercise and its benefits can range from losing weight to giving you a healthier heart. There are too many reasons not to exercise. If you have reached a plateau in your weight loss, then now is the best time to start exercising. Just get outside and walk for 20 minutes a day. If you can run then run. If you can only walk, then walk. I guarantee you that this will help you break through your plateau.

5.Understand plateaus are part of the process. Whether "self inflicted" or due to your body adjusting to weight loss you have already made, weight loss will stop. I have one woman in one of my meetings who told me that her doctor said that the average person will go through 14 plateaus! Each time you hit one, just check it off. You're closer to where you want to be.

6. Realize that this is a process, not a destination. If you understand that it doesn't matter if you hit plateaus because it's about being healthy, not skinny. Your weight will "get there" if you continue to take care of yourself and eat in a healthy fashion. The program works. Just be patient. We all want to "get there" but "there" doesn't do anything for us; there will be another "there" right after the first "there."

7. Finally, if you're stuck and you've cut your point total down, it could be that you're eating too FEW points. Really! If you don't get enough to eat, your body slows down your metabolism to make what you are getting last longer. Vary your points. Try new foods. Drink more water. Take a look at your habits; if you're getting sloppy (be honest), tighten up.
  • mbaker1169
    mbaker1169 Posts: 65 Member
    Thank you so much for posting this!! I am currently, as of this week in my first plateau! I consider myself lucky though, as I have steadily lost 30 pounds up to this point. I am currently training for a marathon, so I have my long runs on the weekend-- I plan to add shorter, stronger runs during the week to try and boost up the weight loss as well as my run time in the process. I just pray it works. My original goal was 25 pounds-- when I hit that so easily, I decided to go for 40. Sitting at 10 pounds left seems like forever now, but I know I can do it!

Thanks again for the post!!
    Melissa
  • winwin
    winwin Posts: 134 Member
    I experienced a plateau last week. Even so, I noticed a difference in how I felt, and so was more surprised that the scale didn't move. I have printed a copy of your post, so the next time I hit a plateau I can read it again for some ideas to try. I did eat heavier on the day before I weighed in and think that may have had something to do with it as well.

Thanks for the info.

Leslie:drinker:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    *sniff* I'm so proud:cry: . That was very well said b.

****Gold Star****
  • brfortu
    Thank you so much for posting this!! I am currently, as of this week in my first plateau! I consider myself lucky though, as I have steadily lost 30 pounds up to this point. I am currently training for a marathon, so I have my long runs on the weekend-- I plan to add shorter, stronger runs during the week to try and boost up the weight loss as well as my run time in the process. I just pray it works. My original goal was 25 pounds-- when I hit that so easily, I decided to go for 40. Sitting at 10 pounds left seems like forever now, but I know I can do it!

Melissa

YUP! You can do it. I tend to give up when I hit plateaus so that's what we're here for... SUPPORT. 10 left! Way to go. That's exactly what I have left and the scale wont budge... twinsies! :tongue:
  • brfortu
    :glasses: :glasses: :glasses: :glasses: :glasses:

Allright! It's time for our first CHALLENGE!

Take a look at your calorie intake for the last week. What are you eating a lot of. From that, I challenge you to go in a different direction for the next week ending Sunday, March 23.

EX: I am taking in plenty of fruit which also means plenty of sugar within that. I am going to make a goal to eat more veggies instead of fruit to trick my metabolism. Also, I eat instant oatmeal that has sugar in it. I will be switching to the self-prepared oatmeal so that I can control how much if any sugar will go into it. GOOD LUCK ALL!

WHo's with me so we can continue to push eachother?
  • mbaker1169

Melissa

YUP! You can do it. I tend to give up when I hit plateaus so that's what we're here for... SUPPORT. 10 left! Way to go. That's exactly what I have left and the scale wont budge... twinsies! :tongue:

Good Luck!!! Lets keep each other posted!! I kind of need some motivation-- it has been awhile since I posted so I need to pay more attention at all the wonderful information. WE can do it!! Keep up the good work!
  • mbaker1169
    I eat tons of 100 calorie packs and NO fruits........I know, I suck. The closest I get to fruit is a nutri grain bar which I think I ate one of in the last month.......So, for this week I will add in yogurt and fresh fruit along with my veggies (which I usually get a bunch of)

Good Luck!!
    Melissa
  • brfortu
    That's a great step to getting back on track to losing that last 10 lbs! AWESOME!
  • Hey I am totally down with this challenge. I just did a post about cals per day and I think I am doing something to help me through my plateau. Check it out, I would like some input.
    The changes I have made is pretty much smaller portions at regular meal times and more heathy snacks like fruit inbetween meals.

It certainly helps me pull through!!
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    I have never actually thought about that... I will try eating more of a different category..hope it helps
  • ctimmb01
    ctimmb01 Posts: 10
    :smile: Thank you for the post, I have been losing weight weekly but have hit a brick wall. I started right after Christmas. I am 5' 8" and started at 184. I am now down to 166. I want to lose at 15-20 more pounds. I eat 1500 calories a week. I never eat my workout calories, since I joined this site I have only gone over my calories 3 times. My workout routine is Mon-Thurs at lunch we do Pilates or some form of ab routine for 20 minutes. I walk at 4.0 with an incline for 30-45 minutes at least 6 times a week. 2 times a week I use the fanny lifter firm workout out video. But now I need a change. I ahve not lost weight in 2-3 weeks. I did change up a little. I never ate breakfast, just drank coffee. Now I am eating ceral for breakfast with 1% millk. I also added weight traning. My husband and I purchased a home gym. So now 2 days I lift weights upper body and 2 days lower body. I just started the change this week. DO you think this will work?
  • I am definitely at a frustrating plateau. I should have been in the 150s by now, but I just can't seem to get there. My measurments and body fat are going down, but the scale will not move. I am working on the last 15 pounds and it is maddening. Thank you for the post.
  • brfortu
    :smile: Thank you for the post, I have been losing weight weekly but have hit a brick wall. I started right after Christmas. I am 5' 8" and started at 184. I am now down to 166. I want to lose at 15-20 more pounds. I eat 1500 calories a week. I never eat my workout calories, since I joined this site I have only gone over my calories 3 times. My workout routine is Mon-Thurs at lunch we do Pilates or some form of ab routine for 20 minutes. I walk at 4.0 with an incline for 30-45 minutes at least 6 times a week. 2 times a week I use the fanny lifter firm workout out video. But now I need a change. I ahve not lost weight in 2-3 weeks. I did change up a little. I never ate breakfast, just drank coffee. Now I am eating ceral for breakfast with 1% millk. I also added weight traning. My husband and I purchased a home gym. So now 2 days I lift weights upper body and 2 days lower body. I just started the change this week. DO you think this will work?

A great way to get over a plateau is to change up not only the type of calories you are consuming but also your exercise regime. You are off to a great start and are really getting some great exercise. Because you are doing the same types of routines frequently, trick your body into thinking that it needs to work hard again.

Perhaps instead of walking at a 4.0 incline for 30-35 minutes, increase your incline to 10 for 30-45 minutes. Another great suggestion is something I like to do when I need to mix it up. Decrease your speed to 3.0 and walk backwards as long as you can. After a while try to do this without holding onto the hand rails.

This is a great exercise for endurance training and works cmompletely different muscles than you would on an incline. This may be just what you need to get over your plateau. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!:wink:
  • brfortu
    Don't give up! If your measurements are still changing it means that all of your hard work is not going to waste. Perhaps for you a diet change up would be good.