does exercise become less effective over time ?

Options
I started MFP back in September, and counting calories + regular walking worked great.

To my surprise, the numbers even worked out right : when my net calories were set with a goal of losing 2 pounds/week, that is pretty close to the amount I actually lost.

Lately, though, the numbers don't match up. Even though my net calories should be producing a weight loss of 1.5 pounds a week, my weight has been increasing at around 1.5 pounds a week for the past few weeks.

I'm wondering if part of the problem is my walking. I've gotten to where I can walk at my usual brisk pace (14 minute miles) without elevating my heart rate much. Does this mean that I'm not burning as many calories as I used to ?

Does anybody have experience with this - when some form of exercise "quit working" for weight loss as your body became more efficient ?

It sounds reasonable, but if its true I'm kind of bummed. I like walking to work and around the neighborhood as part of my daily routine, and I *hate* going to the gym or setting aside time to do exercise for its own sake.

Would it be reasonable to get a HRM and measure the calories I *actually* burn while walking ?

Thx,
Jeff

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    you should never have a "routine" as your body adjusts and adapts. And YES as your body becomes more efficient it will take more to burn the calories.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I find after about a month, my body gets used to the exercises, and performs them easier.

Similar to when athletes train and run through certain routines..til it becomes 2nd nature.

Also, it's the same reason you're sore when doing new things for the first time..til you get used to it.

You'll learn to go through the movements with less effort.

I always switch my routine every 1-1.5 months.

I also don't count calories burned, I just do a bit of cardio then a bit of weights alternate days, if that makes a difference.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It was easy for your body to get rid of the first 20+ lbs because they were spare. Now that you're over your midpoint, your body is trying to hold on to its reserves. That's why the last 10lbs are such a pain in the butt :(
  • joneswife09
    joneswife09 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The longer you do an exercise the less calories you are going to burn because it becomes easier for your body. I would definitely get an HRM. You may want to walk further, longer, faster, or you might even start adding ankle/wrist weights to burn more calories.
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you follow the same routine every day., your body adjust to it.

You should try to alternate between walking and running or change to a different exercise, raise the elevation and so on. In short, vary the routine.
  • amberkokette
    Options
    I believe your body does get used to exercise just as it gets used to food.. Add another type of exercise into your routine. You might need to walk a longer amount of time or if you are walking on a treadmill you should increase your incline. If you are walking only outside maybe start carrying weights with you or try to pick up your pass so you get a little winded when you are walking. It is possible that you are gaining muscle now with your walking. I don't know your story well but maybe you need to re-eval your caloric intake too because as you lose your body needs less and less calories. Make sure you are getting your 8 cups of water a day. Just change your routine. Our body will stop and plateau after doing the same things for so long. Good luck.

Amber
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yes - exercise definitely becomes easier the more fit you become! I'm a walker, too. I've had to go faster, go longer, climb more hills and carry extra weight (in a backpack) to get the same calorie burn as I did when I started out.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Definitely - I think you need to switch up your exercising or think about doing something like C25k if your walking is getting easier!
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What works for me is to monitor heart rate and shoot for 140-150 for what I consider cardio. every 1-2 weeks I have to increase either speed or resistance to keep the heart rate up. If I find that I can carry on a conversation while doing cardio to me this implies I'm slacking and not getting the best workout to time ratio
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Try to switch up your routine! Maybe add some hills or stairs when you walk.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    In that situation, I would suspect loss of muscle mass.
  • rieson
    rieson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    you should never have a "routine" as your body adjusts and adapts.

Exactly, you need to adapt as your body adapts. Either go farther, go faster or try a different routine.
  • Dnc2Luz
    Dnc2Luz Posts: 33
    Options
    I change it up every 4 weeks making a 12 week thought out plan. A little planning goes a long way! Factor in seasonal activies, shop for new gym classes and search your soul for what will keep you motivated!! Go for it!!
  • amylrach
    amylrach Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, it sounds like you need to change it up. You definitley need some kind of cardio excercise that elevates your heart rate. That's the only way you are going to get a good calorie burn. Walking is a good exercise but it sounds like it's not challenging your body and without challenge there won't be change.
  • pitbullmom87
    Options
    i agree with every single one of these people... but your body is also building muscle
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    keep your body guess, but also know your limits. that isn't to say you shouldn't push your limits, but if you just graduated from C25k, don't go run 6 miles because you're in the zone. baby steps, like with everything.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    If you get to the point where 1 mile is easy, run that mile faster or run 2 miles etc. Fitness isn't getting kind of good and being happy, fitness is always pushing yourself, always besting yourself.
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You need to increase the intensity or length of your walk. Add some resistance training.
    Muscle burns fat even you are aren’t working out.
  • christasteph
    christasteph Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    the human body is an amazing machine and adapts relatively quickly to exercise routines. it is vital to keep the body guessing so it cannot plateau. even throwing in just a few intervals sessions or walking the opposite route, walking backward, skipping, throwing in walking lunges during your walk, walk-jog, sprint-recover, etc will throw it off. good luck!
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey Jeff,

That's a great question. No sure how to answer really. Reason for weight loss / gain can be many. There too many factors to give you a clear answer.

Like loads of people have said you learn to do things more efficiently, which means you burn less calories in doing routine activities. Additionally if you have lost weight you burn less calories cos you have less mass to carry around.

Other than reducing your calories have you made many changes to your diet. The more whole food you eat the more energy your body had to use to process (metabolize) the food.

Cardio activity is usually defined in zones ... 1, 2 and 3. To 'burn' (metabolize) fat you will need to exercise in zone 2 around 65-85% of your maximum heart rate (MHR - which is 220 - age). Like loads of people you will need a heart rate monitor (HRM) to work this out. In zone 2 you are using up your stored glycogen and your body will use fat and carbohydrates to replace the glycogen. The longer you exercise the more glycogen you will use and the more fat you will need to 'burn' metabolize to replace it. Unfortunately, walking will not usually put you in zone 2, especially if you have been walking regularly...

You will have to increase resistance to increase your heart rate... walking a different route will not do that for you. In order to increase the resistance your heart has to overcome you will either need to walk up hills, speed/nordic walk, walk with weights, or pick other more vigorous cardio activity, such as running, cycling, swimming etc...

The great thing about zone 2 cardio is that your don't just burn while you exercise, but you continue to have an after-burn until all the glycogen and oxygen you have used is returned to where it came from in you're the muscles ;-)