Net calories

Options
I've taken a look at my net calories, and seem to be only averaging around 700-900 per day. My caloric intake is set for 1200. When I eat more than that, I feel like I'm eating too much! I'd like to lose 1-2 lbs a week. I usually work out 3-5 times a week. I work 3-4 days a week, and am usually on my feet at least 9 hours during those days. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• kimborious
    Options
    I've taken a look at my net calories, and seem to be only averaging around 700-900 per day. My caloric intake is set for 1200. When I eat more than that, I feel like I'm eating too much! I'd like to lose 1-2 lbs a week. I usually work out 3-5 times a week. I work 3-4 days a week, and am usually on my feet at least 9 hours during those days. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

From what I have read both on this site and others is that it's extremely important to net 1200 calories. This will keep your metabolism healthy. I know that when I have netted under 1100 for an extended amount of time, I will have initial loss, but not be able to maintain. A few days of overeating or underexercising and my body packs those pounds back on and holds on tight. I have had to LEARN to net 1200 and yes, my loss is slow, but I also dont gain when I slip up like I used to. Something that has helped me has been to add a few healthy, but calorie dense items to my diet. This includes things like nuts, seeds, avacados and beans.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating Enough? Are you eating your exercise calories? Are you drinking enough water?

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I am finding the same problem with myself so I am curious to see what people say about this!
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You just simply need to eat at least 1200 calories - this really isn't that much. Especially if you do exercise - you need to eat back some of that for fuel. Consider revamping some of the foods you eat to help get to 1200. For example, 2% cheese vs. fat free cheese. Hope this helps and best of luck!
  • campbellcjdm
    Options
    The key is to balance intake with output. You are going to have to exercise, even if just walking. That means you will be burning MORE calories. Suggest you get it up to at least 1200 base - before workouts. If you burn below that with exercise, that's ok for a start. I find if I don't eat 1200, I am too sluggish to work out. Good luck
  • keggreen
    Options
    I think I should try to at least eat 1200 Cals per day, especially on the days I work out. I know I can do this, sometimes it's just frustrating learning what is going to work best for my body!
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've noticed one or two of my MFP friends only having 5-600 calories, and doing loads of exercise ... Can someone remind me of what happens to your metabolism when your body goes into starvation mode, and how that can affect your future dieting patterns.