Zumba - couple of questions

Options
I went to my first zumba class last night and loved it so I'd like to pick up a good DVD that I can do at home as the class I go to it is only offered once a week. So, can you recommend a good Zumba DVD?

I don't have a HRM so how can I find out how many calories I burned doing an hour of Zumba?

Last question, how many of you has had zumba as your primary form of exervise and lost weight inches?

Thanks

Replies

• vhines5
    vhines5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Great post! I too am interested in doing Zumba! Thanks for posting!!! :smile:
  • sweetie1975
    sweetie1975 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping my own post to see if I can get some responses on this....I'm surprised I haven't gotten any so far with all the talk to zumba on this board.:smile:
  • eschwanda
    eschwanda Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PagalM
    PagalM Posts: 19
    Options
    Just saw this now! Yes I recommend the original set that comes with the 7 dvds and the toning sticks. There is a 20 min, 40 min and 60 min workout plus a toning workout. These are the dvds I am doing now and I always finish any one of them dripping with sweat! I have been using them for 2 weeks now. I have not used a hrm while doing them yet.

This is my primary way of getting in cardio and I do yoga for toning. I have lost 2 pounds in the 2 weeks I have been using the dvds and my jeans are definitely looser. I had to put a couple in the dryer this weekend and I NEVER put jeans in the dryer since they shrink! lol

This is the set: http://www.amazon.com/Zumba-Fitness-Exhilarate-Ultimate-Experience/dp/B004O8YLGS
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any dvd's I love so I'll be interested to see what people recommend. I have been doing Zumba from a class on youtube and really love it. There are lots of options online, maybe check out a few to see what you like,
    As far as calories burned without using a HRM, check out http://www.zumbacalories.com/ for a rough estimate. Then you can add it to your list as your own customized exercise, or find a cardio that is close and just record that.
    Good luck.
  • penn_ee
    Options
    Hi there! On average you burn about 300 calories in an hour zumba class. (as with all things the actual figure will depend on your weight and effort level, but it's not a bad guess)

I have an HRM and it's about the average for me over the classes I've done - I use the exercise entry for modern dance or some such name in mfp.

For home zumba - I have the first Wii game and really like it. It has a teaching bit so gives me a bit of confidence too!
  • TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Try this...

http://www.zumbacalories.com/

Its what I use. No matter how hard I work I always put in 'low' because I never want to overestimate my exercise.

:-)
  • Lilower
    Lilower Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Typically one hour of Zumba in a classroom environment equates to 550 calories burned. I've found this posted at many websites. I would think it would be the same doing a video for 60 minutes. I love Zumba!! :-)
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    zumba for PS3 is fun!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It depends on how insane the class gets.. and your size... ;) But I am 5 foot 5, in the 240's... and burn anywhere from 600-730 per hour class.... and I can't do ALL of the leaping due to bad ankles and knees... I DO wear ankle weights... just helps my balance..;) and adds a little bit more to my burn... I use a bodymedia fit armband...which is said to to have 90% accuracy at the very least! :)
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    That was my original workout when I started. I probably lost a good 10 lbs doing just zumba.

It's still my favorite workout and I attend any zumbathon I can. Going to one this weekend.
  • ZumbaBeast86
    Options
    http://www.zumbacalories.com/

I've been using this to calculate my calories for Zumba. I find that all the people and websites who say 300-500 are inaccurate do to our own body types. So the number of calories I burn in a class is FAR MORE than someone who is 100 pounds lighter.

Hope this helps and have fun with Zumba! It's my favorite exercise of ALL TIME!
  • jpfrank
    Options
    Zumba is fantastic... I have been doing it for several months now and I am really having fun with it. I recommend the "RUSH" video for starters. You can order the videos individually on E-bay for some really good prices.

The Wii games are good too.

I hope this helps.
  • LexiMV
    LexiMV Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,

I have been doing Zumba as part of my weekly workout routine at the gym for a little over a month now. I do it one night a week and love it, too!! Definitley work up a good sweat, although, I have not measured as of yet, I am noticing differences in how clothes are fitting. I also do a couple of elliptical workouts az week, and a Power Hour (very difficult strenght training) class I do once a week. I think it is good to mix it up a bit because that is really what helps change our bodies shape:) Good luck and keep on working out!!
  • DDsMrs
    DDsMrs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    YES!! Zumba has helped me lose a lot of my weight so far. I really enjoy it! This is the website to help you calculate how many calories you burn during zumba. http://www.zumbacalories.com/

I've also added kickboxing classes to my exercise regimen. It's not as bad on your knees, if you have bad knees.
  • JulaMonster
    JulaMonster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba at home for a couple weeks now and I love it! It is my main form of cardio, and I have noticed strengthening in my abs and calves especially. I found a dvd at my library that I love, Zumba Fitness Live! & Flat Abs (two programs in one dvd), which I think is only available as part of a larger Zumba set (so checking out your library is a great way to try out dvds to see if you like them! The sets are pricey, so best to make sure you like it before you buy). I mostly do the Live portion of the dvd (about 50 minutes) and it's a lot of fun. I did end up buying Zumba 2 for Wii, since I obviously can't keep the dvd (though I've renewed it three times!), and though I've only used it once (just got it) it's a lot of fun, and it estimates your calories burned for you. I've also used zumbacalories.com, though it seems like it gives high numbers, compared to MFP's high-impact aerobics, so I usually figure a happy medium between the two. A HRM would be awesome but I don't have one yet. I will say that it's a bit easier to follow the moves of real people on a dvd than it is to follow the computer animated people on Zumba 2 for Wii, but if you're familiar with the basic steps already then the wii game (or other system games) would be great as well. I'm not sure if Amazon is still having a sale on workout dvds and games, but they were last week when I bought the game for the wii. Good luck!
  • Menene
    Menene Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I did zumba for about 4 months one hour two days a week and elipical for two days and notice my waist and stomach started to disapear along with the weight. I stop for 3 months (because of work) and notice my waist and stomach start to reapear. Started again 1 month ago I already see the difference.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As far as I know the only Zumba DVDs available are those made by the Zumba company. There are a few sets, but only the most recent set (Exhilarate - 7 DVDs) is available on Zumba.com. There are 2 video games available for Wii and Kinect (and maybe others) which have Zumba workouts. You can also find the DVDs on other sites like Amazon and Ebay.

I use the DVDs weekly and love them. I have the Exhilarate set and the one previous to that (4 DVDs). The newer set is nice because it you can view it with instruction or without, so once you learn the routine you can just hear the music. It also has more workouts of varying length The older set does not have the option to turn off the talking, but is still a great workout.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I love seeing other Zumba fans!! I've been doing Zumba at least twice a week for 2 years. I own the original DVD set that includes the beginners disc, a basic workout, toning workout, flat abs, 20 minute express, and Zumba Live. I personally think nothing compares to the in-person classes. The high energy and fun aspect of Zumba with a group is the best part--especially if you go to a dance studio as opposed to a gym.

At my studio, the instructors turn off the lights and put on bright colored club-lights and Christmas lights line the room. We are all loud and crazy and believe me when I say it makes a difference in calories burned!!!!

That being said, the DVDs are a great backup. At this point, I pretty much only use the Live workout disc, as the studio workout discs are a bit more instructional than I need after doing it for so long.

As far as calories burned, I'm 26 years old, 5'2" and 115 lbs. I use an HRM and on average, I burn 385 calories in a hour long class. If it's a very high energy class, I can get all the way up to 500. I would def recommend going to Walmart and buying a ProForm HRM for 50 bucks--so worth it!!

I hope this helps! Welcome to Zumba :-)
  • sweetie1975
    sweetie1975 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Lots of great comments and suggestions, thank u,