Beginner Runner

Options
I've decided that one of my goals before I turn 40 is to run a marathon. Currently after work I go to the Rose Bowl (1x around is about 3.1miles) and walk/run. I’m trying to run without stopping at least 1 mile (at first), have not achieved that as of yet, but I was wondering if there was someone that could provide me some pointers on how to achieve this. I also wanted to join a beginner’s group training for a marathon, if you know of one (Los Angeles County) I would appreciate the info. :wink:

All encouragement is wanted....:laugh:

Replies

• bsdive
    bsdive Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you search Hal Higdon on the web he gives training scedules for all levels of runners for all distances. You can print out a week by week training schedule from him. He writes that it does not matter if you can run the whole thing but to try to keep at the distances and run more and more each time you go out. Depending on how much time you have before the marathon you can do the shorter distance training and when you finish it you could move on to the marathon training. Hope this helps.
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    What a good goal. I am a big fan of the C25k program. Specifically because it helps you to increase the amount of time you are able to run before walking. I believe they also have a bridge to 10k as well.

I would also start with some smaller races before the marathon. That way you get a feel for what a race like this is and how it is different running with a bunch of people. A couple 5ks to keep you motivated to run, then work up to the a 10k or half marathon and then a marathon. I know for me a marathon would be a daunting task without some of the other race successes under my belt. That's my plan anyways. I am running a 5k in April and will be training for a marathon for April 2013.

Send me a friend request if you want and best of luck on your running.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    agreed on starting with something smaller

general rule of thumb is 30 MPW for a YEAR before training

this base building will help you avoid injuries and have a marathon that is not a death march.

I did it the wrong way for my first one and yes, I did get hurt, I walked a great deal of the second half, I CRIED up the last hill and finished in 517 I think. I then stopped running for a year.
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I missed 40 already ... but like you would like to run a marathon... I have been reading the book "The Non-Runners Marathon Trainer" see on amazon: http://amzn.to/xYFjIC

I have never really run in my life. I started last October and ran 13 miles and then tried again in December but suffered a calf sprain. A friend of mine gave me the above book and my running has just taken off!!!

Previously, I could hardly run 1/2 a mile without wanting throw chucks, but now I can run 8 miles non-stop :0) Mostly because of the training advice from the book.

I will send you a friend request hope you are willing to accept :-)
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    couch to 5 K running is a great program. I have the app on my phone for it as well, so it cues me when to run/jog and walk. I think the website is www.coolrunnings.com
  • ode22a
    ode22a Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advise. I most definitlly will look up the book FisherDJ (and I accepted your friend request, thanks:smile: )and i will look for the app DEEDLYNN.

Thanks everyone for the good advise i will take all and run with it :laugh:

Question: BrandyK77, so your saying i should at least wait a year before i try to commit to any marathon, correct. I have read before i even join a marathon group i should at least be able to run 30 minutes non stop. IM A LONG WAY FROM THAT!!!!!!