Quick and Easy Lunch Ideas?

Options
newma6
newma6 Posts: 100 Member
Just wondering if anyone had any quick, easy and healthy lunch ideas? Recipes? I am really good at coming up with Breakfast and Supper, but Lunch is a problem for me. My husband gets to come home for lunch, but only has 30 minutes. We have been eating a lot of wraps and salads. I love those, but we are people that like variety...to try new things. I can come up with easy things all day long, but those easy things we used to make aren't very good for the body. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I make a big pot of something (soup / stew / chili) and freeze it in single serves. Take it out in the morning and it's ready to be heated in the microwave by lunch.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If you want quick and easy, Lean Cusine with extra veggies from the night before to make them more filling. I usually try to stay under 600 of sodium and 40 carbs.
    Most of the time they are less sodium then a sandwich or salad with dressing.
  • Dnc2Luz
    Dnc2Luz Posts: 33
    Options
    Whole grain pasta with some fried up wok veggies. I keep the veggie bags in the freezer for just such stir fry. Microwave sweet potato with left over veggies from last nights dinner. I bulk freeze lean meats all the time. My husband's favorite is a stuffed pepper style burger I have baked up in 2 - 9x13 glass dishes. It sports: salt and pepper to taste, worseshire sause(not spelled right I'm sure), ground lean beef, whole grain rice, finely diced green pepper and a diamond of pepper on the top. I cut the diamonds out of the pepper walls and finely dice up the rest of the pepper to mix into the meat. I bake the burgers at 350 until internal temp is 180. cool completely and refrigerate a few hours. freeze into 2 per pkg and put into another zip lock bag lable and date. Everyone has different workschedules, so I keep several dishes frozen. Otherwise, I would be throwing out food.
  • dalico
    dalico Posts: 2
    Options
    I like Campbell's Gardennay Soups - Sweet Basil is only 90 cals for 1 cup.
    I also like Uncle Bens Bistro Rice - Vegetable Medley - it is about 175 cals for half of the bag.

The only bad thing with the above two choices is the high sodium intake - however, if you watch the sodium on your other meals and snacks you should be able to stay under the daily recommendation of 2500 mg.

For a low sodium soup option try Health Valley No Salt Soups - my fave is the Lentil one. It is about 250 cals for the entire container and its packed with fiber and protein. You can buy them at Loblaws Superstore in the organics section.
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    My favorite is slice up your favorite veggies. Put 2 table spoons of hummes in a contanier, 1 stick low moisture skim cheeze. I like having different tastes and some crunch. Very portable for work.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Here is what I'm having today:

Tuscan Tuna Salad in a Pita Pocket

I got the recipe from eatingwell.com http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/tuscan_style_tuna_salad.html
    The only items I had to buy last night were 2 cans of tuna and a can of great northern beans, oh and the pita pockets. I made up the salad last night and portioned it out. Then at work I put my serving into a whole grain pita pocket and BAMM! - lunch for the work week. It's so incredibly cheap - it's ridiculous, if you have the pantry items available to you. :happy:

Basically you mix these items together and chill: 2 cans of tuna in water (drained), 1 can of white beans (drained & rinsed), chopped tomato, green onion, olive oil, lemon juice, pepper to taste.
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Here's what I had for lunch:
    1 can tuna, some cut up tomatoes, onions, and cilantro, lil bit of mayo, 3 crushed sesame crackers, lettuce, sriracha sauce ( or any hot sauce, jalapenos, etc.) stir together and eat! So good, so quick and I'm full! :bigsmile:
  • Dnc2Luz
    Dnc2Luz Posts: 33
    Options
    Here's what I had for lunch:
    1 can tuna,
    My son is on a sm can of tuna for lunch kick. Do you know how much tuna is safe to eat in a week?
  • EmergencyGraphics
    EmergencyGraphics Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I usually do a tuna sandwich 2 times a week. I use half a small can of tuna and mix different veggies in it depending what I have in the house and add a little light miracle whip to it.

I'm looking for other ideas for the rest of the week though. Ive heard several places that due to high mercury levels you shouldn't have more then a can a tuna a week.
  • newma6
    Options
    This sounds yummy! Def. gonna try this one. Thanks so much!
  • newma6
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Lots of great ideas!!