6 meals a day

Options
Ok tried this does not work, cause i am always hungry, tried my own method because of the 2250 calorie limit i have for the day i blow through it easy and then over eat my calories at night. So I tried it my own way, I tried eating every hour, something small less than 200 calories now i sometimes eat in the middle of the hour, oh well then i eat again at the beginning of the next hour, keeps the cravings down. Seems like it's working to get my metabolism up, i am less tired at work and with eating soo much it keeps me from over eating during a meal. This allows to eat almost a 12 hour day, and with my hunger it seems to last that long. Anyone have any thoughts? is this a good thing or bad?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ok tried this does not work, cause i am always hungry, tried my own method because of the 2250 calorie limit i have for the day i blow through it easy and then over eat my calories at night. So I tried it my own way, I tried eating every hour, something small less than 200 calories now i sometimes eat in the middle of the hour, oh well then i eat again at the beginning of the next hour, keeps the cravings down. Seems like it's working to get my metabolism up, i am less tired at work and with eating soo much it keeps me from over eating during a meal. This allows to eat almost a 12 hour day, and with my hunger it seems to last that long. Anyone have any thoughts? is this a good thing or bad?

It does nothing to increase metabolism, but if it keeps you from over eating and makes you feel full, by all means continue. If eating every hr becomes a hassle, maybe 2 or 3 larger meals might be more satiating?
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    you need to look at not just how much you're eating but what you're eating. foods that are higher in fiber and protein will sustain you longer.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    What are you eating, when you eat snacks?
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Check out Bill Phillips book Body for Life. I lost 35 pounds and was in my best shape ever. Waiting to cleared from a back injury now so I can do it again!! Basically he explains how to balance your carbs and protiens and the best part is you don't have to count calories unless you really want to :-)
  • rmstorey
    Options
    I don't know about metabolism, but eating smaller, more frequent meals DOES help keep your blood sugar at an even keel. That, in turn, keeps your energy level and mood from crashing midday, and helps keep cravings at bay.

It can also be helpful from a psychological standpoint, to know at any given time that it won't be too long before your next meal or snack. That can help keep you from grazing during the in-between times.
  • aisha_91
    Options
    hi, we all go through this phase as our bodies adjust to the lower calorie intake. the six meals small meals help those of us who always need to eat as opposed those who can just handle having 3 well-portioned meals. your body is telling you to eat, and thats not your fault, but apart of adjusting to this diet is to know the difference between hunger and HABIT. i would suggest that you take a supplement that curbs your appetite, something with caffeine in it because that nearly takes away your appetite. i can almost asure you that you wont eat as much with any kind of fat burning high caffeine pill.. and youll lose trumendous weight.
  • LilMizDetermined
    LilMizDetermined Posts: 175 Member
    Options

First, your calories seem really low for your size. I'm 5'2" 125 lbs and eating 1631 calories! My highest amount I should eat to lose weight is 2028....
    MFP makes them EXTREMELY low. They said I should be eating 1200... 1315 is the LOWEST I should ever eat!!

I recommend looking at this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447397-my-plateau-nutrition-story-learn-from-my-mistakes

Also, helloitsdan is a great person to have as a friend. He's VERY helpful!
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I eat at 9a, 12n, 3p, 6p, 9p every day; this works for me! I divide up my cals between these meals, maybe a bit less for 9p. I think each person has to find what works for them!! If it helps you and fits you, then go for it; if not, then change it up!! Good luck.
  • aisha_91
    Options
    you need to look at not just how much you're eating but what you're eating. foods that are higher in fiber and protein will sustain you longer.

couldnt have said it better. eat meat, eggs, fish and high protein veggies like broccoli, it contains a lot of CLA which can help you basically breath off the weight.
  • shellybean826
    Options
    nope 6 meals a day is fine ..it doesnt matter how many times you eat or what time of day you eat ....ive read in articles ..what matters is calories in vs. calories out .....
    i eat 6 to 7 times a day

12:30 to 1pm breakfast
    3:30ish snack
    6pmish lunch
    8 pm snack
    10:30 dinner
    1am snack
    3amish snack again if hungry ...
    now the snack at 3:30 and at 3 am is 3 ozs baby carrots ..so they arent big snacks ..but they fill me up till my next meal ....and like the poster above said ...keeps my sugar up ....
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Find what works for you .... It's not a one size fits all type thing.

6 meals or
    3 meals and 2 snacks or
    3 meals

I personally cannot do 6 meals, I think about food all day long and I always feel hungry. I tried 3 meals and 2 snacks but it was still too much eating ... I'm also not much of a snack person. So I really only do 3 meals and occasionally a snack/dessert.

See what works for you and don't worry about what everyone else says! :smile:
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options

All I can tell you is that eating smaller meals 5 to 6 times a day is what has helped me lose the weight I have lost so far. It sounds like that is what is going to work best for you also. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • twotone74
    twotone74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would think it would keep your metabolism up? how is it different from 6 meals a day?
  • twotone74
    Options
    What are you eating, when you eat snacks?

Have been eating single serving of baked tostitos with fresh homade salsa, salad, chicken, chex mix, Celery, mashed potatoes just small portions enough that it is under 200 calories or just above. Whatever we have for left overs
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    When people say "find what works for you", what they really mean is, "find what you LIKE doing". For example eating 2500 cal a day spread over 1 meal or 6 meals will both work the same for everyone but eating more often will be more convenient for most.
  • twotone74
    Options
    hi, we all go through this phase as our bodies adjust to the lower calorie intake. the six meals small meals help those of us who always need to eat as opposed those who can just handle having 3 well-portioned meals. your body is telling you to eat, and thats not your fault, but apart of adjusting to this diet is to know the difference between hunger and HABIT. i would suggest that you take a supplement that curbs your appetite, something with caffeine in it because that nearly takes away your appetite. i can almost asure you that you wont eat as much with any kind of fat burning high caffeine pill.. and youll lose trumendous weight.

Yeah i know we go through it, but i haven't been able to corral the eating for 3 months, it keeps my focus away from the food until i have to eat. It was also easier when i was 390 and got much more calories, and now i drop 50lbs and all of a sudden i get almost half, i mean it's hard when your a bigger guy that works out alot, appetite builds more. Can't take the stuff with Caffine, had a heart attack 2 years ago - try to avoid anything that will push my heart rate unnaturally.
  • twotone74
    Options
    Yeah maybe it is all mental, but i do notice i am much more full and not craving when i have eaten more times.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I would think it would keep your metabolism up? how is it different from 6 meals a day?

Increased meal frequency does not increase metabolism, doesn't matter if you eat 1 meal or 24 meals a day
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Just asking, cause I had almost the same problem. Was always hungry and then started eating smaller snacks all day long. What kept me longer full, was snacking cottage cheese, greek joghurt, cheese, tunafish etc. pretty much anything with lots of protein. The carbs did not keep me full for long. Over time I ate more and more protein and less carbs. Now I am back to 3 meals a day with sometimes 2 snacks. Maybe that works for you too.
  • sarahebbitt
    sarahebbitt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good idea if it helps you keep from going over your calories. I just started easting 6 times a day because Dr. Oz preaches it. I thought it would be hard but its not. The hard part is finding healthy snack for when I am running around doing errands. Today I made a protein shake and split it in half, half for my morning snack half for my afternoon snack and it is really good, taste like a strawberry milk shake! Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!

Sarah