Exercises for "love handles?"

Options
I could really use some advice on how to get rid of the "love handle" area, or the lower abdomen. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• amorga49
    Options
    I have the same problem and I have found that exercises used in Pilates help. Maybe just YouTube some abdominal pilates exercises, i'm sure some will pull up!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Rotary twists (machine or weights) and side planks.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You just have to burn off the fat. Try do more and heavier strength training, and try interval workouts.
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You just have to burn off the fat. Try do more and heavier strength training, and try interval workouts.

Exactly this. Is my biggest problem too!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    ab exercises will condition the muscles, but the only way to get rid of the layer of fat that covers them is to burn it. Reduce your overall body fat %.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Burning off the fat is definitely part of the key. Even if you have toned abs beneath, if that's where your body stores its fat, you'll never see them, sadly.

Doing sit-up variations that target the obliques like Russian Twists helps, side planks, etc. Also for the lower abdomen, reverse crunches or V-ups help as well.
  • akkimberly
    akkimberly Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    To get rid of back love handles I do the superman. lay on you stomach and lift an arm & a leg up together for 6sec. If you focus on the excercise & do it right it really works! :)
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The Corset Workout :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yENYdGnxmhg

Side planks, side extensions, bicycle crunches,
    This lady has a lot of good workout vids (POP Pilates)
  • Dawnetta
    Options
    Thanks...gonna try !!!!
  • kerryannk
    kerryannk Posts: 148
    Options
    I would recommend the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels. Inches just melt off, although you might not see the scale move too much.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    To get rid of back love handles I do the superman. lay on you stomach and lift an arm & a leg up together for 6sec. If you focus on the excercise & do it right it really works! :)

^^^ This and the fat reduction mentioned will help. I had pretty jiggle sides and above my hips at my lower back. Here is a link that explains the move a bit.
    Pay special attention to engaging your core when coming up into the position so you do not strain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8szJuzPt-sg
    These are incorporated into my current and past dvd programs, usually 6 to 10 reps held for 8 to 10 seconds each.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    You should try the 17 Day Think the Fat Away Self Hypnosis to Health program. All my friends are doing it with great results.
  • Dawnetta
    Dawnetta Posts: 7
    Options
    do some oblique crunches....that specifically targets that area.

GOOD LUCK !!!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Can't spot reduce. You just gotta lose it overall. :)
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have heard of 'flutters' ab exercise

Have no idea what that is though, but its pretty intense from what a friend was telling me

anyone know what that is?