Is My Goal Unreasonable

Options
Hey Everyone,

Is this unreasonable?

30 pound loss by April 20th. I plan on doing 3 rounds of the 30 Day Shred (with extra strength training every other day right after the shred). As well as Leslie Sansone walking away the pounds every other evening (20 - 30 minutes max). Also, plan on increasing my cardio workouts on weekends since I have more help with my kids on the weekends.

If not 30 pounds maybe 20 pound loss & toned...

Currently I am a little over 5ft 4inches & 165 pounds.

ETA: Also plan on eating clean & staying within the MFP allotted calorie range.

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Its possible, you'll have to be totally dedicated, but you can do it.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    When I started I lost 30lbs that quickly....
    Doubling up on JM might help as well...one morning, one night or 2 at once even
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm doing around 35lbs by the beginning of May. So far this year, I've lost 7... It's very possible!! Will take dedication and hard work but I'm in it to win it!
  • kimdoeshair
    Options
    What about after April?
  • killerkitsune
    killerkitsune Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not unreasonable, but doing the 30 day shred and extra strength training will probably show more inches lost than weight loss. In the end you may be 2 sizes smaller but only 20 - 25 lbs lighter. Which is awesome all the same!
  • AndiJ2011
    AndiJ2011 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What about after April?

Maintenance. I will be back to my pre-pregnancy range. Don't want to sound vain but I want to lose weight for a special birthday coming up.

Prior to this pregnancy I was 125-130 all of my adult life (except for my 1st pregnancy in '06).

Maintaining is easy for me with about 1500 cals a day. I am just off my rocker with this latest pregnancy weight gain. I am going to take whatever weight loss comes by April, but 30 pounds is my goal weight loss period.
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds in 4 months. It's absoutely possible. Stay dedicated. Eat right and get the exercise in and you should have no problem :)
  • lifewithme2
    Options
    I believe that if you really want to lose the weight you can do it. It's good to set goals and to work hard for them. I love the walk away the pounds videos. It's amazing how easy they are. Keep up the good work and let us know how you do. :smile:
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 25lbs by the first week of May. I'm spending 2+ hours at the gym, half for weight training and half for cardio workouts. I'm also pre-logging my meals for the whole week to ensure that I don't go over my calorie goal. We'll see how that goes.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It depends on how dedicated you are and how strict you're willing to be.

My goal is to lose 30-40 pounds in 6 months. I don't plan on avoiding pizza and cupcakes after I've reached my goal weight so I don't avoid them completely while I'm losing the weight. Plus, I've got three kids, one of whom is a newborn, and I'm a stay at home mom. I know I don't have tons of time to exercise, we're too far away from the city to belong to a gym and it's really cold outside so I can't take my kids on long walks. We have a nice weight machine but cardio is going to be difficult for me and I know I probably won't lose weight all that quickly.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I personally think it is a bit of a stretch for a goal. I know it sounds like a long time, but mentally you should be committing to about 1 week for every pound you want to drop. Trying to push it too fast for a deadline will really just end up being discouraging in the long run.

But as someone who lost all through that range (at 5'3"), trust me when I say, not only will you feel amazing with that first 15 lbs of progress in time for your special birthday, but if you commit with a healthy mindset you'll be glowing with confidence and not so stressed out.

It's ok to strive for bigger goals, but I'd strongly council aiming more for 10-20 instead of 30. It will save you sanity in the long run.

Good luck!
    ~Gonks
  • AndiJ2011
    Options
    Thanks everyone. And for those with upcoming weight loss goals good luck to you as well.
  • prunerooney
    Options
    Good question.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sounding vain, SO MANY people start for vain reasons. Then as they progress their goals and out look on fitness changes.
  • AndiJ2011
    Options
    Hi!

I personally think it is a bit of a stretch for a goal. I know it sounds like a long time, but mentally you should be committing to about 1 week for every pound you want to drop. Trying to push it too fast for a deadline will really just end up being discouraging in the long run.

But as someone who lost all through that range (at 5'3"), trust me when I say, not only will you feel amazing with that first 15 lbs of progress in time for your special birthday, but if you commit with a healthy mindset you'll be glowing with confidence and not so stressed out.

It's ok to strive for bigger goals, but I'd strongly council aiming more for 10-20 instead of 30. It will save you sanity in the long run.

Good luck!
    ~Gonks

Thanks Gonks! but yeah from my original post I asked was it unreasonable... Because I listed what I planned on doing to lose the weight. Now whether or not that enough I was unsure. But I still wanted to know if within the limitations of what I planned on doing could I lose 30lbs out the deal. I'm aiming for 30, but if it's 15 you won't see me complaining.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here is a guide for setting appropriate weekly weight loss goals given the amount you have to lose:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

since you have 30 lbs to go I would suggest setting your goal for 1 lb/week at most, and for the last 15 or so change that to 0.5lbs, this way it will help ensure that you are losing mostly fat, and not lean muscle. Having too large of a deficit will lead to a loss of a large % of lean muscle mass, not the fat you are looking at losing.

So with 17 weeks to go I would not expect or try to lose more than 17lbs.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    What about after April?

Maintenance. I will be back to my pre-pregnancy range. Don't want to sound vain but I want to lose weight for a special birthday coming up.

Prior to this pregnancy I was 125-130 all of my adult life (except for my 1st pregnancy in '06).

Maintaining is easy for me with about 1500 cals a day. I am just off my rocker with this latest pregnancy weight gain. I am going to take whatever weight loss comes by April, but 30 pounds is my goal weight loss period.

If you're nursing, and you haven't already done so, you might want to talk to your healthcare provider about your specific nutritional needs during that time, to make sure everyone is getting what they need.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I think you can get close but it may be tough to hit 30 in a little over 3 months. My experience has been that there is some truth to the concept that it's harder for women to lose weight then men. I've seen it first hand. You'll have to be very careful in your approach, because one plateau and you'll have no chance of hitting your goal. That said, I wouldn't let it discourage you. I would say shoot for that goal and prove me wrong. Even if you don't hit 30 you'll likely get pretty close and will still feel the benefits and enjoy your appearance more. So I'd say go for it but don't just tie yourself to the number. Allow yourself to enjoy the other non-scale victories along the way (like getting into clothes you haven't worn in a while) even if you don't hit 30 by that exact date.
  • prunerooney
    Options
    I think it may be a stretch and you may be disappointed. I couldn't figure out what exactly it was that was making me put on weight. I didn't eat ice cream, not a tendency toward sweets. Ummmm, I did drink a lot of beer, and I didn't quit until about three months ago, but I was steadily losing weight using mfp during the last 11 months. I cut out the beer, Sierra Nevada, 175 calories each, and I've been losing faster. It has taken 11 months to the day to lose 36 pounds, but this is 36 pounds that will stay off.

Now I'll just have a few Bloody Marys if I want a drink, much better choice, or white wine. There is something in your diet, if you really think about it, that once removed, the weight will come off, and it won't be too hard for you if you mix it up with exercise, even just a couple of times a week, especially if you're not doing any exercise, that's going from zero to two hundred percent.

Slow and easy wins the race, and the weight will stay off longer. Best of luck to you!

Prune
  • AndiJ2011
    Options
    What about after April?

If you're nursing, and you haven't already done so, you might want to talk to your healthcare provider about your specific nutritional needs during that time, to make sure everyone is getting what they need.

@ mellissant:

nope ... not nursing. My doc is all good with my weight loss goals.... thanks!