getting over the cravings

Options
I think that my biggest struggle right now is I LOVE FOOD. I have such an appreciation for good, flavorful food. Often times I find myself going out to eat places that can satisfy that craving. Unfortunately, most of the meals I eat are not the healthiest. So my question is, what do you guys do when you have a serious craving but know you shouldn't indulge? Any advice on how to redirect cravings into something else?

Replies

• estherpab
    estherpab Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for 5 weeks and I still have cravings. I think they will never go away, its all about developing will power which I lack big time. I usually ask myself if I really want to eat that, and then I weigh myself every morning and if I gain, I feel guilty and that seems to kill the cravings LOL. I've read you shouldnt deprive yourself either so take a bite and toss the rest, that might help.
  • AlaskaLily
    Options
    Agreed. Cravings are cravings...you will always know how amazing something tastes. I have only been on MFP for a couple weeks, but what I have learned over the years is to really break down a food in my brain. My friend recently posted a Brownie Sundae Cheesecake recipe on my facebook wall (*****!), and I instantly was like wow...not "yummy wow," but "wow there has got to be so much fat and sugar in that...GROSS! It sounds funny, but I really thought that. Of course I will treat myself to ice cream, a nice sharp cheddar, etc once in a while...but I really take the time to think now. I have lost some of the sweet tooth craving, but I realize that food is life...I just choose to eat to live, not live to eat. Cliche, but true! Indulge once in a while, but be mindful!
  • amorga49
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm glad I'm not the only one :p I just found out that my favorite dish is packed with fat and calories so that is some motivation not to eat it as often! I'm going to try and live by the "eat to live, not live to eat" saying :)
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    When I have cravings I will drink some water and try to occupy myself for at least 15 minutes to see if it passes. If the craving is still there I will allow myself to have a SMALL portion of whatever it is that I'm craving. For most things you crave you can make healthy alternatives.

When I want crunchy/salty I would usually go for chips. Now I'll have some roasted and spiced chickpeas or some popcorn. If I want chocolate I'll have a small piece or have a cup of Cadbury hot chocolate on my lovely Tassimo. If I want something sweet I'll have a latte with a bit of sugar or something like that.

Personally if I deny myself things that I crave and love I will binge on it at some point.
  • Moma_Do
    Moma_Do Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy fats like salmon, avocado, olive oil, nuts they helped me =) Also what i tell myself is do i want this food that i've had a million time before that helped get me to my heaviest weight ever or do I wanna taste being fit and lean for the first time since I was 8. Reality checks work!
  • aisha_91
    Options
    i have cravings too, we all do.. youre just like me because i too drink water when im craving food, and wait a few minutes. the best thing to do is try to do 10 minute exercises. nothing major.. and guess what? you burned off a few calories and that gives you the room to take in those extra calories if youre still craving. the more you burn the better. also eat filling foods like eggs, meats. and anything high in protein because these things will get you through a few hours without any hunger or cravings