Gym or Home??

Options
Hi everyone..looking for a bit of advice!! I understand how important weights are in a work out, and would like to incorporate lifting into my daily exercise. I have dumbells up to 15 lbs as well as a bar and free weights for the bar and a bench. Having said that..I have no idea what to do with them really. There are so many books and dvd's out there!! Also, due to an injury, my left shoulder will pop out if I try certain lifts, so I need to be careful. Should I join a gym and use the machines they have there, or can someone suggest a book or such I can use at home?? Is a home workout as good as a gym workout?? Any help would be appreciated!!

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm determined to do this at home, there are no gyms nearby. I've heard good things about the New Rules of Lifting for women book, I've ordered it. Do a search on here, tons of people swear by it. I'm just trying to get hold of the weights, so you're ahead of me :wink:

Can't offer any prefessional advice about your injury, but why not have a couple of gym sessions with a professional to work out a safe routine you can then do at home?

I don't bother with the machines myself.
  • dimplez711
    Options
    LA Fitness FKA Bally Total Fitness offers lots of complimentary stuff for people who are thinking about joining. I'm sure other gyms offer similiar deals. It might help to reach out to a trainer for a free intro session so they can show you how to properly use equipment.

It doesn't hurt to have both as an option - gym to get access to more machines and advice, and home equipment for when you don't have time to get to the gym.

Good luck and have fun learning! :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What will motivate you to exercise on a regular basis? It's January - maybe you could get a (cheap) introductory gym membership to see if you like it. Gyms are more crowded in January ... so it's not exactly the norm.

I workout at home because it's "excuse proof." Right now we have snow and yesterday the roads were bad - I would have blown off the gym. Too close to laundry day? I can't go - I don't have any cute exercise clothes.

Do whatever will keep you consistant.

Re: suggestions. Kelly Coffey Meyer has a series of DVDs called 30 Minutes to Fitness. These are really good, each has 2 - 30 minute workouts & lots of premixes (to keep it fresh). Look at collagevideo.com for reviews & video clips
  • Skyzeternalblue
    Skyzeternalblue Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I applaud all of you that work out at home. For me, I get distracted way to easily, lol. So for now, the gym holds me accountable until I have better will power :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You could always call a local gym and ask if they offer a free trial (I know most gyms in my area offer from one day to one week of a free trial).

For me, I NEED the gym. I need to know that I am paying for something. It keeps me motivated. I've tried to do the workout at home thing and well.. I freely admit that I will choose my couch over working out every single time.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone..looking for a bit of advice!! I understand how important weights are in a work out, and would like to incorporate lifting into my daily exercise. I have dumbells up to 15 lbs as well as a bar and free weights for the bar and a bench. Having said that..I have no idea what to do with them really. There are so many books and dvd's out there!! Also, due to an injury, my left shoulder will pop out if I try certain lifts, so I need to be careful. Should I join a gym and use the machines they have there, or can someone suggest a book or such I can use at home?? Is a home workout as good as a gym workout?? Any help would be appreciated!!
    It's not where but what.

So long as you are doing good work, it matters NOT!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Depending on the injury, I'd say talk to your doctor first to make sure you won't be doing anything that could make it worse.

Barring that, if you can afford it invest in a personal trainer at least up front? They can give you a baseline to build from.

I know a lot of folks like New Rules of Lifting for Women, I'm a big fan of StrongLifts 5x5. There's tons of resources out there. It's difficult to say what would be best for you without knowing the extent of your injury.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You could always try some workout videos. I personally enjoy working out at home, but go through phases. But in the winter I have a hard time leaving the house to go to the gym, but will exercise at home. You just need to find out what works for you. I have several workout videos and go to the gym sometimes so I don't get bored, which is the key to my success.
  • LOSTFanJ
    Options
    I find that I excerise more regularly when I've had a gym membership. When I had a treadmill at home, I was always thinking I "should" be exercising right now instead of doing such and such. Or, I would say, "I have a treadmill here, so if I don't exercise today, I'll just do it tomorrow," hence I never got around to it. When I go to the gym, I'm there, I do my thing, and then don't have to worry about it at home.

That's just me, though!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, I dunno about about home vs gym, I do both, but free weights are a much better option than machines, especially if you have a nagging injury, because machines will force your body into unnatural positions that can aggravate joints.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is ChaLEAN Extreme. Its a little pricey but I love her! I am definitely building up some muscles! :smile:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm gym phobic - too many germs, sweat, and strangers :)

I've been happy with P90X - personally I think the new P90X2 is better fitness for a beginner just starting. It can be done at home and with the weights you have. Have you talked to a PT about your shoulder? There should be exercises you can do to get that so it doesn't pop out.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I never end up going to a gym if I have a membership, so I work out at home. Have you ever worked out regularly at home? Have you had a gym in the past and did you go? Past behavior is a good indicator of future behavior..

I like a lot of the beach body workouts, but I find most of them to be too hard on my knees. I am currently doing ChaLEAN but only the weightlifting videos. There are three months and 3 videos per month so it is 9 weightlifting videos plus some for abs. I find I can do the first month for quite a while (3 months last time) and not get bored.

She goes over form and where you should feel it but kinda throughout the videos so you have to pay attention. If you are unsure of something specific you tube has some good videos also..
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I think it is a personal choice and it really comes down to can you stay motivated to do the exercise in the comfort of your own home or do you need that same motivation from a gym. I prefer the Gym, I am a member of the YMCA and would not think of exercising at home when I have that facility and all that it has to offer. When I started I had to use the lap pool and therapy pools until I had gotten enough weight off to support my own weight and now I am able to use the whole facility. I would take advantage of the new year deals the gym's are offering and see if it is for you.
  • mspears1198
    mspears1198 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've found home to be a great place to work out. At home there are excuses. However, since you have a injury you should check a physician on what type of work out you should avoid/modify to prevent you from damaging your shoulder any further. Good luck in quest for better body.
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    Try a gym that doesn't have a long term contract. I go to lifetime fitness their only rule is you give a 30 day notice if you are cancelling the membership.

There are a ton of benefits for a gym including classes, a number of different cable machines which are better on your shoulder and also gets you out of the house.
  • AureliaCotta
    AureliaCotta Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I admit I do better exercising at the gym for a few reasons. First, I'm more motivated to exercise at the gym than at home because there's fewer distractions there than at home. Second, they have a lot more fitness tools there than I have at home. Last, seeing others: older and younger, in better and in worse physical shape...it makes me feel like I'm not alone in my quest to get fit and if they can do it, so can I :)

As far as choosing a gym, don't overlook your local YMCA. Rates are often competitive or lower than most gyms, and most Ys have quite the selection of exercise machines, weights and classes. Personally, I like the Y because the atmosphere there is more about seriously exercising than a social pick-up club, as I've seen in some gyms.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you and how committed you are. I like going to the gym because it's distraction free and is a designated space for fitness for me. That said, you can do it from home and in times when I've been crunched for time, I have done workouts at home.

For good workout books, I think the best one for weights and basic moves is the Women's Health Big Book of Exercies ( http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/womens-health-big-book-of-exercises-adam-campbell/1102903080?r=1&ean=9781605295497&cm_mmc=Google+Product+Search-_-Q000000630-_-Womens+Health+Big+Book+of+Exercises-_-9781605295497 )

It has TONS of diagrams, everything is grouped by muscle groups and it gives you tons of variations for all of the different moves. It's easy to follow and beautifully illustrated. Definitely my go-to book!
  • emjay71
    Options
    Be very careful not to injure yourself. Resistance bands are a much safer way for women to tone and build muscle with less occurance of injury. Many dvd's utilize them, the ones I use are Leslie Sansone Walk away the pounds. Or...go to a local gym for a few classes to get an idea of what you are doing. Another resource is magazines like Fitness and Women's health, they always have exercises you can do at home.:smile:
  • LOSTFanJ
    Options
    Awesome before and after pictures! Good motivation for me!