Gym Ettiquette

Options
ummlovelovesyou
ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
Ummm I'm joining a gym today (worst time of year, I know)...and I know a lot of you are regulars, so any tips for not being an *kitten* and making people there mad?? lol

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• sherman76
    sherman76 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wipe down equipment after use!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Re-rack free weights.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    If you absolutely have to keep your phone on you, keep it on vibrate and leave the workout area if you need to take a call.

Don't do silly exercises in the squat rack, it's for squatting.
  • admanMike
    admanMike Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Hey Ummlovelovesy, good topic post! I've been a gym rat for a long time and i've seen about every type of ettiquette infraction you could imagine... from not wiping down equipment after use, monopolizing equipment & not returning weights to shaving 'private' body parts in the lockerroom :0

I don't think you have to worry about making anyone mad. Overall, common sense and common courtsey is all you need.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    <3 this topic.

my biggest pet peeve when I was going to the gym regularly was when people would linger and wait until I was done w/ the machine. just go do something else for a while!! unless there's literally NO free machines... in which case you should probably find a new gym. ;)

but you're not a jerk, so I'm sure you will be a-okay!

& of course, wipe down the machines. I have been guilty of neglecting that, honestly, but it TOTALLY grosses me out when people dont!

have fun!
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Wear deodorant!!!! Seriously, I can't stand working out near or next to someone who stinks!! LOL
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If you're going to run the track, know which side is for runners and walkers

I get irritated when I'm jogging that people want to walk in the jogger's lane so I have to run around them

And if you are in a group walking/jogging the track, don't all crowd up horizontally and make it so people can't pass you if you're going too slow. It irritates me. :explode:
  • cigarzzz
    Options
    Don't go to the gym smelling like you ran a marathon, always wipe down equipment after using it...
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Oh! And if you use a locker, please use a lock or something so others know it's occupied.

There have been numerous times where people just put their stuff in empty lockers and don't lock them so I have to search for one that's empty. I've seen some nice designer purses and sunglasses in some of them. Thieve's Paradise.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    1) Wipe the equipment after use.
    2) Rerack free weights
    3) Don't just sit on a piece of equipment and socialize.
    4) Don't go the the gym if you've got a cold or flu.
    5) Don't crowd personal space/walk in front of the mirror if you can walk around.
    6) Be willing to let someone work in if you have more than one set left.
    7) If someone lets you work in, adjust the weight back for them. Better yet, ask them what they want it on.
    8) Be willing to spot someone on the bench press or squat. Better yet, offer to spot them if they look unsure.
    9) During peak times, don't expect that you can tie up two or more pieces of equipment at the same time (i.e., monster sets).
    10) Don't freak out if someone is watching you. They might be trying to pick up new exercises or learn more about form.

Enjoy!
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options

my biggest pet peeve when I was going to the gym regularly was when people would linger and wait until I was done w/ the machine. just go do something else for a while!! unless there's literally NO free machines... in which case you should probably find a new gym. ;)

Going to disagree here. The order of what exercises I do is very important. If someone is using something I need I will wait but stay clear of their space and not look as though I'm pressuring them. I won't go do something else however as someone else is likely to come and scoop up the equipment during that time.
  • idealbody
    Options
    If you're a big talker, don't flirt too much while occupying a machine that some else may want to use.. ;) use the machine, it'll do you more good (no matter how cute the dude is - lol) . Work your butt off and flirt later... (in case you need to do that).
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Wear deodorant but don't douse yourself in cologne/perfume. The people next to you want to be able to breathe comfortably.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh when power lifters grunt, they hate that ;p
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    lol thanks for all of the advice :happy:
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Oh! And if you use a locker, please use a lock or something so others know it's occupied.

There have been numerous times where people just put their stuff in empty lockers and don't lock them so I have to search for one that's empty. I've seen some nice designer purses and sunglasses in some of them. Thieve's Paradise.

I can't believe how trusting people are! I find lockers with no lock all the time as well.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Don't bend over in front of me when I'm attempting a heavy lift...very distracting.