black hair care (relaxed hair)

Options
ok, this post relates mostly to black women as our hair takes a different level of maintainence. So for a long time (been on this journey for almost a year) i have worn weave due to working out vs our hair. For those who dont know, our hair is naturally curly...really really tight curls. I dont like my curls, lol, i like straight hair...more specifically a straight, rinsed black, short-medium length bob...think rihannas old do, jamie eason, or katie holmes back in the day. I miss my bob, lol!!! i cant take thinking in order to wear my hair and not weave that i cant work out!! When i workout my hair sweats and the ideal bob cut just looks a puffy mess. The time it takes to put it in place before work is just not available. I am racking my brain for solutions, but i will find one because i miss my hair. I have had weave for a year. I want to feel my own scalp! So i am going on the journey effective tommorow of trying to find a lifestyle of wearing my hair how i want and working out...wish me luck!!

Replies

• ondogirl
    ondogirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bumpin for ya!

I wear my (4b) hair in it's natural state now (best decision I ever made!), but I was relaxed at one point.

This website has a wealth of information about black hair care: www.longhaircareforum.com

You will probably get much better tips from the website above than you will get here.

Good luck!
  • forsophia2009
    Options
    Good luck!

I am not black but I am Dominican and have typical Dominican hair. I get it relaxed every 3 months but since deciding to work out, I have not relaxed it. I went to my hair stylist for some products that I can leave in with wet hair.

My hair has been a pain in my rear for a long time but my weight was getting out of control and I decided to put it in the back corner for now. If you find any good tips let me know!
  • AndiJ2011
    AndiJ2011 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't help... I went natural in '09....

How about wrapping your hair witth a silk scarf when you exercise so that once you are done it will dry but have a smooth look from the silk or satin scarf.
  • piercedbeauty21
    Options
    Wish I could help, but I'm going back to natural. I would recommend wrapping your hair before you work out.
  • renaconnor
    renaconnor Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Even though I will never give up my weave!!! Lol I find wrapping it while working out keeps my edges smooth and straight.
  • kimmycj13
    Options
    I went natural back in '09 too. And it is great especially for working out! But my roommate who likes the silky straight hair, wraps hers before she works out. She may occasionally have a few puffy spots but it's nothing like what it was before she started wrapping it. If she is really in a hurry she just throws a ponytail in.

Good luck!!!
  • mochamofitandhealthy
    Options
    I have been natural for almost 20 years (with the exception of 2 very short stints with a relaxer - that lasted less than 2 months each). Anyway, the natural works very well for me when it comes to workouts.

But I heard that wrapping the hair very tightly with a silk scarf helps.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm also natural (about a year and a half.) When I first started losing weight I was relaxed and weaved up (like you were.)

Unfortunately, this is a very tough decision. I cannot imagine being relaxed and working out like I do now.

The only thing that helps me when my natural hair is pressed (and i want it to stay as straight as possible) is braiding it before work outs and tying it down with a COTTON scarf then waiting until it's dry and taking down the braids. I sweat A LOT. My hair is typically wringing wet when I finish a work out and there's just nothing I can do about it. The crinkly look is cute for a little while but I typically don't wear it like that for more than a week.

Another option is to do your workouts at night and roll your hair while it's wet. It's super gross but it keeps your hair from getting heat damage from you pressing it every day. Remember- NEVER put heat on your hair when it's dirty it's very bad for it. Especially steer clear of hair dryers after a workout!

Your last option is to go natural (even though you don't want to) and try heat training your hair. I know lots of women who have healthy, long, natural hair that is also straight. It takes a lot of dedication but it's possible. Unfortunately, you have some of the same issues of "recurly" hair after a hard, wet workout.

Nonetheless, you have to ask yourself do you want to be HEALTHY or do you want to have FLY HAIR?... or do you want a little of both. Best of luck!

P.S. My favorite forum is blackhairmedia.com:heart:
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    i actually am natural and have decided to get my 1st relaxer in a year and a half tommorow. I want my bob back. After much consideration, i have decided on a perm. I did the BC and everything. My goal was healthier and fuller hair. I never wanted to rock my curls or lock my hair, which helped in my decision on getting a perm again. I havent done it yet but i will tommorow. I just dont think i have it in me to manage my hair in its natural state...with my goal being to keep it straightened. I am assuming everyone that is natural that has responded rocks thier natural curl and doesnt straighten their hair often.
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I think i am going to work on the night thing.
  • 4sets2failure
    4sets2failure Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tenikb02
    tenikb02 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same struggles you did when it came to working out with permed hair. Sometimes it was just easier not to work out versus having to style my hair accordingly. What you can try to do is after you work out, put some rollers in it to help it dry a bit quicker (so that the air passes through). This way you don't have to keep using heat which will also damage your hair. Always remember to treat your hair often to prevent breakage. The other alternative, which I chose to pursue was...Going Natural! I know you may not like you curls but its probably the better alternative to damaging your hair. I have found that since going natural the worries of getting my hair wet no longer exist. This allows a little less of an excuse for me lol. But try websites to get an idea of what other hair styles or alternatives are out there. Either way good luck with your journey!!!!!
  • lfunchess
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have a relaxed bob hairstyle and I do it two ways to workout. I sweat so heavy in my head so I sometimes wrap it up with a silk scarf when I work out. The secret is to remove the wet scarf and put on a dry one right when you are done so your hair will start to dry out while you get showered and dressed. The other way I do it is put my hair in a loose ponytail in the top of my head and when I'm finished working out, I comb it down and wrap it. I may even hold the brow dryer at the roots with a brush then wrap with a scarf until I get dresses. This way works best when it's near relaxer time. This has been working well for while now. Hope this helps.