Ok I hate the sugar calculator!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    LOL i love that people want to tell me how I lost weight!!!!!! i must not have done years of trial and error on my body to find out what works for me!!!

Everybody knows everything on here. Try to keep up!
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You may get this from several others here, but IMHO, all you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. Getting exercise helps immensely, but watching the calories is key. Don't pet the sweaty things (or however that saying goes).

I think that a lot of people don't get this. You could lose weight eating pizza everyday as long as you stay at or beneath your calorie goal. Will you be healthy? No. But you'd lose weight. It's not as difficult as people make it seem.

Along the same lines as the "Twinkie Diet". No really. A nutrition professor went on a 10 week "Convenience Store" diet eating twinkies, Doritos and the such and lost 27 lbs. His point was that counting calories has a lot to do with losing weight. However, it is NOT healthy and is not advocated to be. I thought it was kinda interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    LOL i love that people want to tell me how I lost weight!!!!!! i must not have done years of trial and error on my body to find out what works for me!!!

LOL!!!!! I love when people don't know how they lost weight.

Many plans out there don't require you to count calories. But that is what they end up doing - restricting calories. Keep doing what you are doing. It is healthy, and working. But giving out false information - eh could do with out.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Are you watching simple, refined/processed sugars or ALL sugars? Such as those naturally occuring in dairy, fruits, some grains, etc..

Perhaps it'd help to research how to "eat like a diabetic" or look for low-carb meals and snacks.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Excess sugar and other simple carbs raise blood sugar which causes a secretion of excess insulin into the blood stream which then can lead to low bloods sugar, which can cause hunger and sweet cravings and in the long run diabetes and heart disease. This is the basis of the South Beach Diet and a major part of the Perfect 10 diet.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The sugar calculate on MFP sucks, because it's trying to calculate added sugar, but counts ALL sugar. I keep it on my diary to keep tabs on my sugar intake, but I almost always go over the amount set for me.

Keep in mind it's generally recommended you should stay under 40g of ADDED sugar. Natural sugar is a whole other can of worms. Generally, as long as I'm under 100g and most of it came from natural sources like fruit and milk, I don't care.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options

LOL!!!!! I love when people don't know how they lost weight.

Many plans out there don't require you to count calories. But that is what they end up doing - restricting calories. Keep doing what you are doing. It is healthy, and working. But giving out false information - eh could do with out.

eating organic isnt a plan, but ok. i'm sure i just magically had that perfect caloric deficit every day that would cause me to lose ten pounds and keep it off, ok.

128700884127024954.jpg
  • jabba11
    jabba11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The sugar calculate on MFP sucks, because it's trying to calculate added sugar, but counts ALL sugar. I keep it on my diary to keep tabs on my sugar intake, but I almost always go over the amount set for me.

Keep in mind it's generally recommended you should stay under 40g of ADDED sugar. Natural sugar is a whole other can of worms. Generally, as long as I'm under 100g and most of it came from natural sources like fruit and milk, I don't care.

While getting your sugars form healthy sources is certainly the best method...sugar..is sugar..in all its forms and converts the same way in your body. Cane sugar is a plant after all..all things in moderation folks, and if something works for someone and it is healthy then more power to you. For me sugars matter but I dont freak out if I am over them occassionally. To say you cant stay below them and eat enough calories is simply not true though. Today I will eat ~1550 calories and stay 6 grams below my MFP daily intake.
  • MelissaWI
    MelissaWI Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am managing better, I picked up some gluten free products that are helping me out a bit.