Low Carb diet?

Options
Hey there,

I have been trying to decide if I want to do a Fitness competition at the end of the year (maybe sooner if I think I'm ready) What I'm trying to do is lower my carb intake.

Was wondering if any one had suggestions on how to accomplish that without going into the full force diet you have to be on to actually compete? Looking for suggestions on what I can eat. :happy:

Replies

• ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I would check out Chris Kresser's Personal Paleo Code to fine tune something to what really works for you as an individual. When I hit upon the formula for my best nutrition, I wasn't dieting. My lifestyle is based on self-love, self-nurture and extreme nourishment. When I nourish my body and my soul, my strength, endurance and neural function skyrocket. Also, not sure where you're located but finding a Z-Health practitioner in your neck of the woods would give you a real edge on the competition.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I have been trying to decide if I want to do a Fitness competition at the end of the year (maybe sooner if I think I'm ready) What I'm trying to do is lower my carb intake.

Was wondering if any one had suggestions on how to accomplish that without going into the full force diet you have to be on to actually compete? Looking for suggestions on what I can eat. :happy:

What are your reasons for wanting to go low carb?
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You may not need to "lower" carbs, but just eat "better" ones. If you would like, go to bodybuilding.com and look up ketogenic diets. Just remember you can't build muscle off a calorie deficit. You NEED to eat for a competition!!
  • Dkittery
    Options
    [/quote]

@ Sidesteal - Need to reduce my fat % by 7.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

If your goal is simply to lose fat and (this part is key) you do not have any insulin related medical conditions, then you don't need to take a low carb approach.

You still can if you want, but there's no real advantage in doing so and you're only potentially eliminating foods you enjoy which can create a tougher time in the process.

Now that being said, you still need to take in adequate protein and fat, and if you are currently not meeting fat/pro minimums then the result would be a reduction in carbs (need to borrow calories from somewhere and carbs are the least important).

If you want to PM me your stats I'm happy to recommend minimum intakes to get you started and you can adjust from there.
  • Dkittery
    Options

If your goal is simply to lose fat and (this part is key) you do not have any insulin related medical conditions, then you don't need to take a low carb approach.

You still can if you want, but there's no real advantage in doing so and you're only potentially eliminating foods you enjoy which can create a tougher time in the process.

Now that being said, you still need to take in adequate protein and fat, and if you are currently not meeting fat/pro minimums then the result would be a reduction in carbs (need to borrow calories from somewhere and carbs are the least important).

If you want to PM me your stats I'm happy to recommend minimum intakes to get you started and you can adjust from there.
    [/quote]

AWE Finally someone telling me more info on this subject.,.. THANK YOU. :happy: I will send you a message soon.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Fantastic answer

And hopefully you are already engaging in resistance training at least 3x a week
  • Dkittery
    Options

Fantastic answer

And hopefully you are already engaging in resistance training at least 3x a week
    [/quote]

YES of course I am. :):):) I'm at the gym doing different things every day. :) I change it up quiet often to get the most out of me muscles. :) I do go easy on Saturday's and Sunday's (it kills me but I do it) but I'm still there. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Options

YES of course I am. :):):) I'm at the gym doing different things every day. :) I change it up quiet often to get the most out of me muscles. :) I do go easy on Saturday's and Sunday's (it kills me but I do it) but I'm still there. :)

Now would be a good time to get a structured program so that you actually don't change things for a while. Focus on progressive resistance (stick to the routine and add weight to the bar over time).

Change is not arbitrarily good if rapid changes prevent you from progressing in a given program. Too much change = bad.

If you stall out after several months, then look at potential changes.

Starting Strength is a good program and there's several others that will do just fine.
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just avoid anything with refined carbs. No bread, white rice, white potatoes or pasta. However whole grain breads and pastas are okay. Sub white rice and potatoes with basmati or brown rice and sweet potatoe. If u are craving chocolate opt for extra dark that does not contain high fructose corn syrup or similar sweeteners. Choose full fat dairy products- they will keep you full longer. That's what I'm doing now. If you want more info you can chek out the 'perfect ten diet' or add me. I recently finished reading the book and it was very interesting.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    No bread, white rice, white potatoes or pasta.

Why?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Now would be a good time to get a structured program so that you actually don't change things for a while. Focus on progressive resistance (stick to the routine and add weight to the bar over time).

Change is not arbitrarily good if rapid changes prevent you from progressing in a given program. Too much change = bad.

Starting Strength is a good program and there's several others that will do just fine.

But but if i don't confuze the muscles i'll never grow, right?
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Sidesteal- I didn't say no this and that. I said to sub it. Do you think there is anything good in low cal wonderbread? I say it's better to eat rye bread or whole grain bread. They have more fiber , less empty carbs.
  • Dkittery
    Options

But but if i don't confuze the muscles i'll never grow, right?

That was where I was at, confuze!!! LOL :) I work with a trainer for my routine. :) Just changed it up and will be using that routine for a month now, will change again once the month is up. :)
  • Dkittery
    Options
    Just avoid anything with refined carbs. No bread, white rice, white potatoes or pasta. However whole grain breads and pastas are okay. Sub white rice and potatoes with basmati or brown rice and sweet potatoe. If u are craving chocolate opt for extra dark that does not contain high fructose corn syrup or similar sweeteners. Choose full fat dairy products- they will keep you full longer. That's what I'm doing now. If you want more info you can chek out the 'perfect ten diet' or add me. I recently finished reading the book and it was very interesting.

A lot of people suggested the same thing, my only problem is I don't like brown rice (but do eat it from time to time) and Sweet potatoes are the worst tasting thing ever... LOL Trying to change the way I think about them.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

A lot of people suggested the same thing, my only problem is I don't like brown rice (but do eat it from time to time) and Sweet potatoes are the worst tasting thing ever... LOL Trying to change the way I think about them.

White rice and White potatoes are perfectly fine. They contain different nutrient profiles from their brown counterparts but that's no reason to arbitrarily label one as bad and the other as good. You can't make such distinctions without knowing the rest of your diet as a whole.

I would encourage you to avoid foods you don't like the taste of, for obvious reasons :)