No results at all... DESPAIR

Options
:frown:

After eating 1000 cals a day and doing exercies - nothing on the scale. Plus, I put on 4 LB (2 kg) when I started at the gym, not even those I have lost... so, when I was on my happy fat diet, I weighed less.

well, that sucks!

Replies

• missfluffyuk
    Options
    How long have you been at it? have you been drinking enough water? Litle enough sodium? Have you tried measuring yourself, rather than relying on the scale?
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!!!!!! I don't know how often you are exercising but you are starving yourself! Strive for the happy medium :smile:
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    They say 1200 cals is the minimum you should be eating a day. So maybe try upping your cals?
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Find out what your BMR is and eat that amount of calories. You can find the calculator for BMR under the tools tab. I would bet you aren't eating enough... I know it's contrary to what we've always been told (eat less, move more, lose more) but that isn't always the case. I eat at my BMR and lose consistantly.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i cant give you some better advice due to cant see your food diary..1000 calories a day isnt enough especially if you are working out ..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    :frown:

After eating 1000 cals a day and doing exercies - nothing on the scale. Plus, I put on 4 LB (2 kg) when I started at the gym, not even those I have lost... so, when I was on my happy fat diet, I weighed less.

well, that sucks!
    First off you're eating too little. Second, when starting exercise it's NOT UNCOMMON to gain weight since the body WILL retain water for repair and to store glycogen with the assumption that it will be taxed again for another future workout.
    Don't use this as negative influence to quit. Results don't happen overnight.
    If you planted a seed in your garden watered it, gave it nutritious soil, sunlight, and perfect conditions, would you expect to even see a sprout the next day? Patience is key when it comes to weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!!!!!! I don't know how often you are exercising but you are starving yourself! Strive for the happy medium :smile:

^^ THIS
    You're body goes into starvation mode if dropped under 1200 cals and hangs on to every single morsel you take in (This includes after calories burned in exercise) meaning if you ate 1000 calories and then went to the gym and burned 500, you're surviving on 500 cal a day. Your brain needs 1200 for basic function and body repair. Up your caloric intake to 1700 and burn 500 at the gym (or whatever math you prefer eat 1500 and burn 300 etc.) Eat healthy proteins that are slow burning and keep you full longer. Best of luck, and don't be depriving yourself in the name of weightloss... better to be healthy!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This is what happens when you undereat.
  • Kimdbro
    Options
    If you planted a seed in your garden watered it, gave it nutritious soil, sunlight, and perfect conditions, would you expect to even see a sprout the next day? Patience is key when it comes to weight loss.

^^^ awesome analogy!! Thanks for this
  • cypridae
    cypridae Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been where Vino is. I did MFP all last summer, using a 1350 calorie program designed by a nutritionist.I was doing Zumba and a high intensity deep water class. I didn't lose a thing, but the previous summer while using the 1350 cal.program, I did.So I'm back at MFP again. Now I'm still doing the water class but have switched to spinning 3x a week, trying to create some sort of momentum.Now, I weigh more than I've ever weighed in my life.
  • mallory3411
    Options
    Kimdbro... there isn't a magic number that causes a body to go into starvation mode. Just because you eat 1200 or under 1200 doesn't mean your body with go into "starvation mode". It depends on the person. The brain doesn't need 1200 to function properly... this amount is dependant on each person based on their size .. etc.

From everything I've read the best amount to base your calories on is your BMR which is the amount of calories your body needs in a day/burns in a day just to make your organs function and allow you to be alive. Anything more than just laying in bed or sitting in a chair requires more calories.
  • Kimdbro
    Options
    Kimdbro... there isn't a magic number that causes a body to go into starvation mode. Just because you eat 1200 or under 1200 doesn't mean your body with go into "starvation mode". It depends on the person. The brain doesn't need 1200 to function properly... this amount is dependant on each person based on their size .. etc.

From everything I've read the best amount to base your calories on is your BMR which is the amount of calories your body needs in a day/burns in a day just to make your organs function and allow you to be alive. Anything more than just laying in bed or sitting in a chair requires more calories.

You are misinformed. I have a medical background, I've read countless MEDICAL journals... my information isn't from reading SHAPE magazine hunny. 1200 calories IS the MINIMAL amount suggested MEDICALLY to maintain basic functioning for an average person, just as the health guide is always based on a 2000 calorie intake - average. If you're 4 foot 3, you're NOT AVERAGE and the numbers would be different for you, true, but since she didn't post her stats my comment is based on the AVERAGE individual. I wasn't suggesting she eat 1200 calories either, using the BMR can give a better judgement of how many calories she burns just by being alive in a day. I was simply stating that medically speaking, if 1200 calories is a bare minimum to not begin breakdown, then her 1000 calories surely wouldn' t be sufficient, again, assuming she's of AVERAGE build. But by all means, don't listen to my comment which comes from medical knowlege, continue reading what you see on the internet.
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    there is not very much actual/recent medical research on the starvation mode topic and a LOT of misinformation about it. I respectfully disagree with the fact that starvation mode is a relevant concern for most people.... especially those who have plenty of body fat to lose.

Search "starvation mode" in the message boards and there are many links to articles there. Make up your own mind but don't listen to people who tell you they KNOW- either way.
  • mallory3411
    Options

You are misinformed. I have a medical background, I've read countless MEDICAL journals... my information isn't from reading SHAPE magazine hunny. 1200 calories IS the MINIMAL amount suggested MEDICALLY to maintain basic functioning for an average person, just as the health guide is always based on a 2000 calorie intake - average. If you're 4 foot 3, you're NOT AVERAGE and the numbers would be different for you, true, but since she didn't post her stats my comment is based on the AVERAGE individual. I wasn't suggesting she eat 1200 calories either, using the BMR can give a better judgement of how many calories she burns just by being alive in a day. I was simply stating that medically speaking, if 1200 calories is a bare minimum to not begin breakdown, then her 1000 calories surely wouldn' t be sufficient, again, assuming she's of AVERAGE build. But by all means, don't listen to my comment which comes from medical knowlege, continue reading what you see on the internet.

"Hunny" my information does not come from Shape magazine nor does it come from things I read on the internet so please, don't make assumptions on things you don't know - such as what background others have and where they get their information as I too have read countless medical journals. However, we all know even medical journals can be wrong. The majority of my information comes from Doctors and nutritionists themselves which are for the most part much more reliable. It would also be nice if people were a little bit more polite here.

However, this is not a "let's discuss our differences" thread so I'm ending this subject.

To the originally poster, you ultimately need to find a balance for what works for your body. It may be more calories, it may be changing up what you eat, etc. Experiement but don't give up.
  • Vino81
    Vino81 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you all for your tips and comments! I am so surprised by how many took their time and effort to help a fellow-dieter... thanks so much!! Here is to you all :drinker: (it is light!)

I will take your tips and test them. I will up my cals intake to 1200 a day (that should be easy...) and I will see how it goes! Many thanks all! :flowerforyou:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your tips and comments! I am so surprised by how many took their time and effort to help a fellow-dieter... thanks so much!! Here is to you all :drinker: (it is light!)

I will take your tips and test them. I will up my cals intake to 1200 a day (that should be easy...) and I will see how it goes! Many thanks all! :flowerforyou:

Make sure to eat back the calories you burn from exercise as well. 1200 is pretty low even for someone that spends all day sat on their butt, and although I don't throw around the word Starvation, I do see this complaint a lot from people who are eating very little and exercising hard - your body requires a certain amount of intake before it will release existing stores. The trick is finding the sweet spot where it releases more than you're taking in :)