Oh SOPA...

Options
2»

Replies

• GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I signed the Google petition and already gave my representative an earful on this. The government already has way too much influence and control over things we do every day- we shouldn't sit idly by and let our freedoms be eroded bit by bit.
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/WJIuYgIvKsc

I really like Mike Mozart's video about SOPA. Really something to check out.
  • crazychrisr92
    Options
    Join the strike!
    http://sopastrike.com/
    and at http://americancensorship.org/

I'm starting to think some memebers of congress will do anything to try to make "1984" a reality...
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Google should have blacked out completely today. A lot of people are probably ignoring the SOPA thing altogether because they probably think it doesn't apply to them. If google disappeared for a day, I'm sure more people would care.

Actually, facebook would be a better choice. Even people who aren't really computer literate have facebook accounts. And that would get them to pay attention. But fb would lose money and clearly that's what's important here.

I love how a lot of these sites are saying they don't want to black out because they'll lose money or inconvenience their users. Uh, what about if this thing passes and your site gets shut down permanently due to copyright violations because you didn't raise awareness? That will be slightly more of an inconvenience...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/WJIuYgIvKsc

I really like Mike Mozart's video about SOPA. Really something to check out.

love it.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Just your friendly neighborhood TTT.
  • bgillis7
    bgillis7 Posts: 124
    Options
    Tell Congress: Don’t censor the Web

Fighting online piracy is important. The most effective way to shut down pirate websites is through targeted legislation that cuts off their funding. There’s no need to make American social networks, blogs and search engines censor the Internet or undermine the existing laws that have enabled the Web to thrive, creating millions of U.S. jobs.

sign the petition to stop this
    https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

more info on the matter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/tT_SwAteJ9M

Alexis Ohanian

"Innovate, don't legislate"
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    Well it looks like we won for now!

from congress.org:
    Piracy Act Loses Support

After an unprecedented day of Internet-based lobbying, a proposal to clamp down on online piracy lost support Wednesday.

The Stop Online Piracy Act and a Senate companion, the Protect IP Act, were criticized by websites such as Wikipedia and Google as being written too broadly.

Hollywood took a different view, arguing the measure is necessary to stop online pirating of movies, TV shows and other copyrighted material.

But Silicon Valley appears to have won this round, with several lawmakers backing away from the bill.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Well it looks like we won for now!

from congress.org:
    Piracy Act Loses Support

After an unprecedented day of Internet-based lobbying, a proposal to clamp down on online piracy lost support Wednesday.

The Stop Online Piracy Act and a Senate companion, the Protect IP Act, were criticized by websites such as Wikipedia and Google as being written too broadly.

Hollywood took a different view, arguing the measure is necessary to stop online pirating of movies, TV shows and other copyrighted material.

But Silicon Valley appears to have won this round, with several lawmakers backing away from the bill.
    Here's a list of lawmaers that changed their monds

Roy Blunt (R-MO) *
    John Boozman (R-AR) *
    Scott Brown (R-MA)
    Ben Cardin (D-MD) *
    John Cornyn (R-TX)
    Jim DeMint (R-SC)
    Orrin Hatch (R-UT) *
    James Inhofe (R-OK)
    Mark Kirk (R-IL)
    Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
    Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
    Marco Rubio (R-FL) *
    Olympia Snowe (R-ME)
    David Vitter (R-LA)*
    Tom Coburn (R-OK)
    Pat Toomey (R-PA)
    Mike Johanns (R-NE)
    Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)*
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Google should have blacked out completely today. A lot of people are probably ignoring the SOPA thing altogether because they probably think it doesn't apply to them. If google disappeared for a day, I'm sure more people would care.

Actually, facebook would be a better choice. Even people who aren't really computer literate have facebook accounts. And that would get them to pay attention. But fb would lose money and clearly that's what's important here.

I love how a lot of these sites are saying they don't want to black out because they'll lose money or inconvenience their users. Uh, what about if this thing passes and your site gets shut down permanently due to copyright violations because you didn't raise awareness? That will be slightly more of an inconvenience...

I know that there'd be a lot of exposure if Facebook shut down. However, an argument could be made that Facebook is more important as a tool for communication and spreading the word. Personally, I saw a lot of people posting and discussing about SOPA on Facebook yesterday. If it was shut down, those discussions wouldn't have taken place.

Social Media is a powerful tool for protesting and spreading awareness of causes. I think that is valuable in itself.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options

I know that there'd be a lot of exposure if Facebook shut down. However, an argument could be made that Facebook is more important as a tool for communication and spreading the word. Personally, I saw a lot of people posting and discussing about SOPA on Facebook yesterday. If it was shut down, those discussions wouldn't have taken place.

Social Media is a powerful tool for protesting and spreading awareness of causes. I think that is valuable in itself.

What if this bill passes and we then end up losing mass social media sites like facebook? Then we wont be able to use it for communication about anything (especially not protests the government wont like) because they'd later decide to close down other websites because they have the ability to do it in the first place.