any truth to this?

Options
I found this quote:

Studies show people who exercise before breakfast burn fat more efficiently throughout the day, while happy-hour exercisers benefit from peak levels of flexibility, endurance, and strength.

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Don't know
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    its true that you burn more calories if you excersize just before eating simply because your metabolism is at a faster rate so digests the food more effectivly. I don't know if this works for the whole day though, i shouldn't imagine so
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I have no idea. I'm commenting so I remember to check back when someone answers who does know.

I did catch a bit on the news that people who participate in intense cardio, like running, spinning, or anything that gets your heartrate into the upper levels for longer periods, actually burn calories long after the exercise is finished. That's one reason I would love to own a Body Bugg - to see if I get the after burn.
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I found this quote:

Studies show people who exercise before breakfast burn fat more efficiently throughout the day, while happy-hour exercisers benefit from peak levels of flexibility, endurance, and strength.

Well I exercise before breakfast and I have NO flexibility! SO might be partly true?:ohwell:
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I saw this quote on pinterest so I can't confirm where it came from, which is why i asked. i hope someone knows where it comes from or has some info one way or the other.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I found this quote:

Well I exercise before breakfast and I have NO flexibility! SO might be partly true?:ohwell:

:laugh:
  • ncrissey460
    ncrissey460 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beckyn20
    beckyn20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just read that in Women's Health this issue. I don't know if either are true. I primarily am a happy hour exerciser and I'm not flexible at all.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    its true that you burn more calories if you excersize just before eating simply because your metabolism is at a faster rate so digests the food more effectivly. I don't know if this works for the whole day though, i shouldn't imagine so

I don't know the answer, but I was coming to say (related to this post) that it also depends when you last ate- if you haven't eaten in over 12 hours, your metabolism actually drops. For most of us, knowing not to eat late at night, we may be quite close to that in the morning before breakfast. But as far as how that is affected by working out at that time, I don't know.
    Do we have any RNs or actual dieticians up in here? lol
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I work out around 4 pm each day because my Dr. told me I would still be burning calories while I ate dinner and it would help me sleep at night. I am sure someone is going to say that is not true but that is what she told me and it works for me that way. And I do sleep well at night now. Most nights. :)
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Not really. True, when you exercise before you've eaten you're burning your glycogen stores and some fat, rather than calories from food. But, as soon as you eat anything your glycogen stores are replenished before anything else, so it's really a wash. As long as you're exercising, it doesn't matter what time of day you do it.
  • kwehkweh
    kwehkweh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was told that if you get your heart rate up for at least 20 min your metabolism is up for at least 3 hours . It will peak and then decline over that time limit. But if you're talking about lifting weights it depends on which muscle groups you work. If it's a larger muscle and you're doing a real workout with it (not just sitting at a machine half assing it) it will stay up for about 24 hours. So maybe it works for weights before breakfast?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If the time of day you exercise has any impact on calorie burn, it's so small you shouldn't worry about it. Rather, exercise when you'll actually exercise. If you're not a morning person, don't force yourrself to work out in the morning. You won't stick with it and it will just cause frustration.
  • beautyonhold
    Options
    i've heard this as well. i've also heard that if you exercise before bed you burn more calories/your metabolism breaks down your food from the day faster in your sleep.

Never known if it was completely true, but i have heard it before.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    If you saw it on the Interwebz, it has to be true. So, yes.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've tried exercising both times, and when I've tried in the afternoon, I've noticed I did a lot better and wasn't as tired afterward, but I also don't know that I felt an energy boost from it. I've read a lot that indicated that, and I think it rings true.